Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Winter Tires still "Enroute" after 3 weeks

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ordered the Tesla winter tires as soon as I got the VIN for my car, and at the time was actually kind of worried my tires would arrive before my car.

3 weeks later I have my car, but still no winter tires. Sent an email to order support, but I imagine that goes into a void somewhere.

Given that the M3P comes with summer tires, it's basically unsafe to drive in Toronto in December and likely a violation of my insurance terms. So it's parked.

Anyone else order the OEM winters? How did they take to arrive?

Do you have a fedex tracking number? I would create a claim and send it to Tesla. I ordered a roof rack and it got “lost” in the warehouse in Tracy CA. One month later, they’ve shipped it again.

Here are the instructions they sent me:

“Please click on the below link to file a FedEx claim:

File a Claim | FedEx

Please click on "Start a claim" in orange on the top of the web page and fill out the information which asks for your tracking number which is FedEx # and your Claim Type which is that your "Shipment was not received". At the end of the claim sheet, it will provide you with a claim number. Please reply with the claim number it provides you so that we may further assist you.

We apologize for any inconvenience. Please let us know if there are any other questions.

Thank you for helping to accelerate the world’s transition to sustainable energy.“​

Do you have a fedex tracking number?

I bought a lot of stuff from that store and it does seem like FedEx is pretty unreliable. Sometimes it's here in a couple days, sometimes weeks. Really random.

But in the case of the tires, it's going direct to a Tesla service center for installation so I have no FedEx number.

The fact that you got a reply from support is positive though, been a few days for me and nothing yet.

Ordered the Tesla winter tires as soon as I got the VIN for my car, and at the time was actually kind of worried my tires would arrive before my car.

3 weeks later I have my car, but still no winter tires. Sent an email to order support, but I imagine that goes into a void somewhere.

Given that the M3P comes with summer tires, it's basically unsafe to drive in Toronto in December and likely a violation of my insurance terms. So it's parked.

I ordered the OEM winter tire/wheel package in early October last year. I cancelled the order on December 31st since there was no sign of them and bought some used form a fellow M3 owner on this forum. I received the refund on my order from Tesla promptly but apparently some part of the order was never cancelled. I got a notice on April 22 of this year that my tires had arrived at my local service center and were ready to install. Based on my experience, you may have a considerable wait!

• Informative
Reactions: ehacke
I ordered the OEM winter tire/wheel package in early October last year. I cancelled the order on December 31st [...] on April 22 of this year that my tires had arrived at my local service center

That's insane. Especially considering that the winter tires for the M3P are signicantly more than if I just bought them new locally. There is no point in waiting until spring to receive overpriced winter tires.

I'll give it another 2 weeks and then I'll go your route.

Fwiw it took about four months to get my winter set
Haha this is crazy. Are they hand-crafting them somewhere?

In 4 months I won't need them until next year.

If these two examples hold true for my case, then I may as well just immediately start looking to buy them locally, and either cancel the Tesla order or resell the non-OEM ones once the Tesla versions arrive.

Tesla sure does make it hard for you to give them money.

For the life of me, I don't understand ordering anything from Tesla that can be ordered elsewhere, such as Tires. They continually prove that they cannot meet expectations when it comes to shipping and fulfilling orders on even parts for the cars, why make your life even more frustrating?

Send Tesla an email asking to cancel, give them 72 hours and if they don't then file a dispute with your cc. company and order from a tire shop.

For the life of me, I don't understand ordering anything from Tesla that can be ordered elsewhere, such as Tires. They continually prove that they cannot meet expectations when it comes to shipping and fulfilling orders on even parts for the cars, why make your life even more frustrating?

Send Tesla an email asking to cancel, give them 72 hours and if they don't then file a dispute with your cc. company and order from a tire shop.
I thought I was paying for the opposite. I didn't want to order winter tires and rims elsewhere before the first 2021's arrived, not knowing if Joe-Shmo Tire Shop would get the right configuration.

So my naive impression at the time as a first-time buyer was that I'd just pay a bit more and get them direct and exactly as needed. No fuss, simple. No surprises.

Turns out that not only is Tesla far more expensive for these tires, but there is basically no tracking or any way of knowing if or when they'll be delivered. And now that I've asked around, there seems to be precident for these tires taking many months to arrive.

So now I'm kinda screwed. I have $5K tied up in these tires. If I just go and unilaterally buy some elsewhere without confirmation that the order is cancelled, I could be on the hook for two sets of tires.

But if I wait for Tesla to get back to me, I'll have a parked car until February.

So I dunno. I'll give them a couple more days (first email went to them on Thursday of last week), and then I'll just order a set locally, or from TSportsline.

Fun update. Used the chat on the Contact Us page to see if I could get more details.

Turns out even though the tires are listed as "En Route" they actually have not even been shipped yet.

They are having someone from the Commerce Team contact me about it. But doesn't sound promising.

Decided to cancel the winter tires from Tesla as I couldn't get any kind of answer on when they would arrive.

Ordered a set from TSportsline and they shipped the next day, and will be delivered next week.

Even with the shipping, duties, and taxes to Canada ordering from TSportsline cost $1300 CDN less than Tesla, for the same tires, similar looking rims, and new Tesla TPMS sensors for 2021. Balanced and mounted.

And they also have the nice benefit of a tracking number, and a real arrival date.

Reactions: polyphonic54
Did the tires say which winter they were for?
Haha that's true, I didn't specify, it's on me.

I'm actually wondering what would have happened if I just ordered a service appointment for the install and said that I bought them on the shop. Maybe they just have them at the service centers and could have installed them? Never checked.

In any case, TSportsline is way way faster. I ordered them on Dec 21, and they just landed in Toronto today, could even be delivered today. 3 days to receive tires from the other side of the continent, on Christmas, is pretty good. And a local shop said they can install them. So I could be driving on them this evening if things go well.

The TSportsline tires arrived and mounted. Super-fast considering they were shipped from California to Toronto over Christmas. Would have been 4 business days.

Even though FedEx has been dropping every single package in the lobby, for some reason they decided that tires belong at my door.

PXL_20201229_184201773.MP.jpg

Nice looking.

PXL_20201229_184814414.jpg

Honestly, I might even like them better than the Uberturbines.

PXL_20201230_183658383.jpg

Incidentally, I'm starting to suspect the missing Tesla Winter Tires was more of a communication failure than a shipping failure.

Based on what I've read elsewhere, it might have been possible that these winter tires are already stocked at Service Centers in the GTA, and they just didn't tell me to go have them installed. I might have just had to specifically book a service and say that I paid.

Mind you, this is just a guess. The chat person didn't say anything about this, and the way it's phrased on the Tesla Shop, they make it sound like they'll notify you when it's ready to be booked.