Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla wireless charger sux!!!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The large camera bumps on recent phones mean the coils are too far apart for any of these phones to charge laying flat like that.

If you've got an iPhone, hands down the best charger out there right now is the Magbak. Works great, great materials, looks like it belongs in the car. It's also not cheap at close to $100...but after trying multiple cheaper models and even trying to make my own it's the way to go.

I'm still looking for something that can replace the charger that's in the console. I'd love a stand that could wedge into the current holder and hold the phone vertically under the car's screen. There's room. I don't have a 3-D printer or I'd be trying stuff.

My phone used to shut down from heat in my Taycan as well as a Corvette I had. I’ve had zero issues charging my iPhone Pro Max 14 in my model S. I wish the phone had current limiting during charge. There are some charging optimization settings you can toggle. Also, you can make a shortcut that when the phone connects to the car’s BT will switch the phone to low Power Mode and dim the screen, but you might want to delay the shortcut from enacting for a literal few minutes in case you want to look at the phone for a bit after getting in the car. You could just tell Siri to turn on/off low Power Mode if you don’t want to automate it. Sorry to be so wordy.

OK, here's my haibrained theory about this. The Tesla charging pads might have been designed to work with their old 12v accessories battery (Cig lighter and usb-c outs). Those batteries were replaced with the newer 15.5v Lith-Ion battery at the beginning of 2022 in all Teslas. Could the new 15.5v power for all accessories be overpowering the phone charging pads, and heating up the iPhones too much?

OK, here's my haibrained theory about this. The Tesla charging pads might have been designed to work with their old 12v accessories battery (Cig lighter and usb-c outs). Those batteries were replaced with the newer 15.5v Lith-Ion battery at the beginning of 2022 in all Teslas. Could the new 15.5v power for all accessories be overpowering the phone charging pads, and heating up the iPhones too much?
No. All cars run 14-15v anyway.

My iPhone over heats in my 2021 MY when I'm charging it. I only notice it when I'm on trips longer than 1.5 hours and streaming from it. Otherwise I don't see the over heat message.

My Samsung Fold charges fine, even with a pretty hefty case on it. With my 2017 Prius Primes wireless charger, the case prevents it from charging (too big).

Also have an iPhone 12 from work and it charges just fine in both cars. Not sure if it's a problem with the Max or if it's your wireless charger

Reactions: Pianewman
Galaxy S20 in a very thin case, have the spacer so phone drops all the way down in the cradle. Charging comes on and off, over and over again, and running Waze the phone's battery slowly goes down to zero despite the on and off wireless charging. I made a service request, the tech found it would not charge his phone. The USB port unit and charge pad were both replaced under warranty but the charging still cycles on/off/on/off. If I plug in a charging cable to the port into the bottom of the phone, my phone will not sit in the cradle either upright or sideways, so that's not a good solution. Not sure where to go from here.

• Disagree
Reactions: Eto Demerzel
I thought I saw a tweet a couple of weeks ago where someone was asking Elon for a fix to the phone charging problem by offering either an Automatic or manual way to turn off the inductive charging and Elon said “okay.” I’m pretty sure I saw this.

Reactions: KidsEyeDr