Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla with hand controls for disabled people

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What do you think about Tesla equipped with hand controls for disabled people?
Of course market for that kind of car is very limited but I think it is much cheaper to install it in Tesla then in any other conventional car and if anyone should do it, it is Tesla.

Any thoughts on that?

Last edited:
Tesla vans for wheelchair passengers will be a HUGE business. Not having to deal with a drive-train running down the middle removes so many issues and compromises with ICE van conversions. Today they're done on Dodge Caravans and the Honda Odyssey for entry generally from the side. Falcon wing door tech will be a huge help too, just make it run half the length of the van.

What do you think about Tesla equipped with hand controls for disabled people?
Of course market for that kind of car is very limited but I think it is much cheaper to install it in Tesla then in any other conventional car and if anyone should do it, it is Tesla.

Any thoughts on that?

My thought is that it will not be necessary in a couple of years. All Teslas will be self- driving.

Well I was thinking about Model 3 with hand controls or something similar. But definitely some kind of van in 5-10 years when Tesla offers full range of vehicles.

I would think hand controls will be easy as hell for the Tesla engineers to figure out. The whole operation is drive by wire, so theoretically you could probably drive it with your phone tomorrow afternoon. No so safe, but doable!

I remember someone who went by the name 'Hotwheels' or similar posted both here and at the Tesla Motors forum... He was wheelchair bound and extremely happy to take delivery of his Model S. He did have it converted to hand controls, and enjoyed it immensely.

I remember someone who went by the name 'Hotwheels' or similar posted both here and at the Tesla Motors forum... He was wheelchair bound and extremely happy to take delivery of his Model S. He did have it converted to hand controls, and enjoyed it immensely.

Here is the older thread (Hotwheels73):

My new baby! - Page 3

You will find that he has a twitter link which has a photo of the hand control, and in the thread he names the company that did it for him.

Thanks for remembering Red Sage!

I have a Friend, NatKat, who has driven her Mustang with hand controls since the early 90s, after losing the use of her legs in a car accident. Another Friend, Michael, has also used hand controls in his cars without incident since being injured in a helicopter crash while in the Army. I've felt perfectly safe with them driving me around. I think it's rather awesome that they have full mobility and can take care of themselves and their transportation needs on their own. Plus, they both really like driving. In a pinch, someone else can drive their cars the 'normal' way if they need service, without having to learn anew.

I found a picture on his twitter account.

I also found two other videos links on this site: http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showthread.php/37453-Hand-Controls-(Handicapped)-for-Model-S

Of the two the last one looks like it is the coolest with an actual digital interface to the accelerator for single pedal driving.

http://www.kempf-usa.com/handcontrols_car_list.html First picture below:

~

Attachments

• TeslaHandControls2.jpg
    TeslaHandControls2.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 377
  • Tesla_S_Darios4_dr_SFOb.jpg
    Tesla_S_Darios4_dr_SFOb.jpg
    71.1 KB · Views: 228
Last edited:
Reactions: Red Sage