Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla with Interior Upgrade vs. ICE luxury cars

Tesla with Interior Upgrade vs Other ICE Luxury

• Tesla will kill the competition with second growth spurt. Bring it on!

Votes: 47 52.8%
  • Improving interior will not significantly improve the sales, thus the competition.

Votes: 24 27.0%
  • No improvement in interior needed. Improving interior will increase the price, thus hurts the sales

Votes: 18 20.2%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I personally have no problem with the current interior for its simplicity in Model S & X.

Quite a big portion of buyers who don't like Teslas seem to pinpoint that the lack of interior design is the dealbreaker.

But let's say Tesla comes up with the new interior design that rivals the big German 3 companies.

Will that cause another growth spurt (like they had in 2015 sales when it had 51% increase and every company had minus growth) for Tesla and kill the ICE segments? Or is Tesla just saturated with current owners?

I find this interesting competition.

• Disagree
Reactions: Eclectic
I'd say the vast majority of potential owners don't see the interior as a "deal breaker" so to speak. I'm sure there are some who would refuse to buy the car simply because of interior quality but I just don't see that being a statistically significant number...

Me personally, I'm in that minority currently myself but I get that luxury because I'm in no hurry to buy another car right now so I can sit back and wait some things out...

Jeff

I think the design of the interior is perfectly fine - it fits their ethos and their general style and I don't think they need to make it more "complex" to be competitive. I don't think they need to add buttons or dials to the interior, if someone prefers an interior that's more busy then I don't think this is the car for them and that's okay. I think this style of interior appeals very well to their target demographic, namely people interested in technology and pressing electric vehicles forward.

I think quality and general features needs to improve though. I'm missing the Alcantara on the dash now. I want vented seats that actually work. I want seats that are as comfortable as my BMW or Mercedes. I want a HUD. I want a media player that doesn't fight me every time I get in. They're a new car company so I give them passes on most of these things, but that won't be the case forever and I think they'll need to catch up on some of these things to progress forward.

.Quite a big portion of buyers who don't like Teslas seem to pinpoint that the lack of interior design is the dealbreaker.

AFAIK most people don't fault the minimalism - they fault a real or perceived lack of quality materials, features and comfort on par with other luxury automobiles. The interior is carefully designed but some upgrades on material quality in some places would improve it. Noise levels and ride quality could be improved (although ride quality is subjective and I find the air suspension coupled with the 2017 premium seats to be a very good balance of handling and comfort).

I think quality and general features needs to improve though. I'm missing the Alcantara on the dash now. I want vented seats that actually work. I want seats that are as comfortable as my BMW or Mercedes. I want a HUD. I want a media player that doesn't fight me every time I get in. They're a new car company so I give them passes on most of these things, but that won't be the case forever and I think they'll need to catch up on some of these things to progress forward.

This is where I am as well. The styling is good, the quality and features can be improved (e.g. faster, more featured MCU, better noise control)

Reactions: gowthamn
I'm going to go out on a limb wonder if older drivers(maybe 60+) want an older "luxury interior"(think softer, padded, stitchy, woody, decorative) vs younger drivers who may prefer the futuristic minimal look(this would be an interesting poll btw). Anyhow, since the interior seems to be of great importance to many(based on message boards anyway) I'd assume some type of interior option to cater to those folks is probably on the way.

Is there somewhere people have listed these so called interior improvements that are needed?

Personally, the only area for potential improvement is seating (ventilated seats in front, overall seating and console in rear, better headrest adjustments, auto driver's seat positioning on exit). Otherwise, other things seem minor.

Reactions: NewTMSMan
Is there somewhere people have listed these so called interior improvements that are needed?

Personally, the only area for potential improvement is seating (ventilated seats in front, overall seating and console in rear, better headrest adjustments, auto driver's seat positioning on exit). Otherwise, other things seem minor.

I have been to many other car forums like Mercedes, BMW, Lexus and Audi. Whether they are just jealous or not, I have no idea but many seem to point out that the interior quality is subpar. I could see that they seem to agree that the performance of the Model S is definitely noteworthy but they talk as if Tesla needs huge upgrade to compete with other companies.

I think I read somewhere in the forum that Tesla hired the chief Volvo interior designer. Tesla may in fact browse other car forums and note that the interior needs to be changed within budget.

Personally, I have no problem with current design. I rather want more performance of the car and I have nice furniture at home for comfort.

i'd love to see an interior on par with the Germans (or the Swedes-Chinese). Right now the S's biggest competition though is from the 3 though. I don't think a pure interior refresh will cause a sales bump. At this point a refresh like that doesn't make sense either. the S is a 5 year old design, its nearing the end of its lifespan.

Well, with a Tesla you do get a "refresh" every few months with OTA updates. I think buyers probably appreciate these updates far more than the addition of door pockets.
You really don't. This is one of the most overblown features of Tesla. In the last 3 years I've gotten one update that was truly useful (backup cam lines) and one that was a step backwards.

Reactions: aus
I think the design of the interior is perfectly fine - it fits their ethos and their general style and I don't think they need to make it more "complex" to be competitive. I don't think they need to add buttons or dials to the interior, if someone prefers an interior that's more busy then I don't think this is the car for them and that's okay. I think this style of interior appeals very well to their target demographic, namely people interested in technology and pressing electric vehicles forward.

Media player is my issue......white seats on my X are terrific and better than the BMW X5s and Mercedes S that I've owned.

btw: having owned German cars for a long time, I am not on board that their build quality is above reproach. FWIW, over the years I've had numerous recalls for brakes, gas lines, etc. Also, broken automatic windows, leaking sunroofs, Entertainment system failures, CPU failures......looks good at dealership but MBF is not sacrosanct.

Reactions: navguy12