Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla withdraws from Singapore

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

D5M

Feb 26, 2011
Singapore was a promising market but sales missed expectations by a large margin. Only 2 cars were sold for the Singaporean market and 3 others were sold, presumably for export. It is possible they were exported to Brunei, Indonesia, or the Middle East. They were hoping for 20-30 cars to be sold.

Sorry to see Tesla leave Singapore.

Tesla pulls the plug on Singapore

I wonder why TM wasn't approved for the government rebate program?

All gov subsidies aside, could someone please explain why this is....

"A partial reason for that jauntiness was that Tesla had been banking on qualifying for a tax break on the car through the Transport Technology Innovation and Development Scheme (Tides).

In a press release last September, Tesla Motors said that it had applied to join Tides. BT understands that to date, Tesla has not been part of it.

A government scheme, Tides is open only to companies and organisations that want to test-bed their electric vehicles. Private car owners are currently not eligible.

The discount would have been a significant one - the scheme waives all vehicular taxes such as additional registration fee (ARF), certificate of entitlement (COE), road tax and excise duty.

The Mitsubishi i-MiEV is part of the scheme and BT understands it is now on sale for $88,000. Without the scheme, it would have cost about $200,000."

If the gross (and I mean grotesque) increase in the MiEV's pre gov subsidy price is primarily due to import taxes, how does any manufacturer sell cars there? :confused:

Since it started in 2003, Tesla has been posting significant losses. For the nine months ended Sept 30, 2010, it tripled its losses year-on-year, with a net loss of US$102.9 million (S$131 million). It ended the period with a paltry US$96.6 million in cash and cash equivalents.

No mention that this is due to increased dev work on Model S...