Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla wont accept proof of insurance for car pickup if Policy expires within 30 days

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Today I had to add the tesla model 3 to my insurance so I could show proof before pickup. Just adding it to my plan took forever but then they wouldn't issue me a card stating that it was insured because I set the date a week ahead for when I'm picking up my car. So then I had to make it effective today just so I could get the cards to upload. Then tesla wouldn't accept my insurance cards because the current policy ends on 2/12. Then I would just pay for the next 6 months like always and be on my way but tesla said they won't register my car because the police states it ends on 2/12. So I call my insurance to just open a whole new policy and cancel my old one but by opening a new policy they are going to charge me over $25 more a month which I'm not willing to pay, its the same company within a couple of hours just opening a new policy instead of updating the old one

Why is tesla making it so hard for no reason

Today I had to add the tesla model 3 to my insurance so I could show proof before pickup. Just adding it to my plan took forever but then they wouldn't issue me a card stating that it was insured because I set the date a week ahead for when I'm picking up my car. So then I had to make it effective today just so I could get the cards to upload. Then tesla wouldn't accept my insurance cards because the current policy ends on 2/12. Then I would just pay for the next 6 months like always and be on my way but tesla said they won't register my car because the police states it ends on 2/12. So I call my insurance to just open a whole new policy and cancel my old one but by opening a new policy they are going to charge me over $25 more a month which I'm not willing to pay, its the same company within a couple of hours just opening a new policy instead of updating the old one

Why is tesla making it so hard for no reason

I am not sure any of the above is Tesla's fault.
You are trying to register a new car on an insurance policy that will be expiring within 30 days of registration. I can see all sorts of challenges with that.
Why not pay-up for another 6-12 months of insurance coverage and solve this?

What insurance company is it that is making it so hard to extend your coverage?

a

I am not sure any of the above is Tesla's fault.
You are trying to register a new car on an insurance policy that will be expiring within 30 days of registration. I can see all sorts of challenges with that.
Why not pay-up for another 6-12 months of insurance coverage and solve this?

What insurance company is it that is making it so hard to extend your coverage?

a
I tried to open a new policy but like I said opening a new policy they would charge me over $300 more a year. Adding the car to my existing policy was no problem at all but tesla wouldn't except it because the end date was 2/12 which i would then just pay again at that time. Tesla not accepting the insurance because of the end date is tesla being the problem

It sounds more like the problem is with your insurance company. Or it might have something to do with the sate of CT's rules about insurance. I live in MA and use Commerce Insurance. I went to my local agent, told them when I would be picking up my Tesla, and they emailed me proof of insurance a few hours later. The insurance went into effect at 8AM on the day I was to pick up the car. Tesla had no problems with the paperwork. It was as easy as possible. So, once again, I suggest the problem lies with your insurance company

I live in MA and use Commerce Insurance. I went to my local agent, told them when I would be picking up my Tesla, and they emailed me proof of insurance a few hours later.
I am in MA too. I called up progressive, and got my policy up and running starting 24th. But since I don't have a plate number yet, they asked me to call some other number to get an RTA form. Did that happen with you too?

I am in MA too. I called up progressive, and got my policy up and running starting 24th. But since I don't have a plate numhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/feeds/hotber yet, they asked me to call some other number to get an RTA form. Did that happen with you too?
I'm using progressive also, they didn't care about a plate at all. After talking to a few agents and then I guess a supervisor the supervisor was able to open a new policy for me keeping my benefits for being a long term member on the new policy and give me the price I was originally told for just updating my old policy

Agreed with other commenters. It's the state law. Tesla can't do much about it.
Any other car I've purchased has never had this problem before so I would say a tesla thing not state

I'm using progressive also, they didn't care about a plate at all. After talking to a few agents and then I guess a supervisor the supervisor was able to open a new policy for me keeping my benefits for being a long term member on the new policy and give me the price I was originally told for just updating my old policy

Any other car I've purchased has never had this problem before so I would say a tesla thing not state
Could the RTA form be an MA thing? I'll call them up and sort this out.

As for insurance, it seems that CT requires minimum 30 days of coverage. So it is indeed Tesla that is giving you a hard time.

Just throwing out a guess, its likely because tesla is a bit slow on the registration side, and you cant register a car with lapsed insurance. They likely are requiring 30 days to give themselves that time to register the car.

If your insurance lapses before they register it, they wont be able to register it as the state will not allow registration without proof of the appropriate insurance. You say "any other car I have purchased never had this problem before" as if for some reason you are buying cars with less than 30 days left on your insurance on a regular basis.

If that IS the case, its likely the other dealers just registered them faster, to not have to deal with that problem, while tesla is not going to be able to guarantee turn around time (operational organization isnt their strong suit).

Certainly not nefarious though, and while I get people join websites all the time because they want to talk about shortcomings, this one seems on the mild side, all things considered.

Reactions: Ciaopec
Just throwing out a guess, its likely because tesla is a bit slow on the registration side, and you cant register a car with lapsed insurance. They likely are requiring 30 days to give themselves that time to register the car.

If your insurance lapses before they register it, they wont be able to register it as the state will not allow registration without proof of the appropriate insurance. You say "any other car I have purchased never had this problem before" as if for some reason you are buying cars with less than 30 days left on your insurance on a regular basis.

If that IS the case, its likely the other dealers just registered them faster, to not have to deal with that problem, while tesla is not going to be able to guarantee turn around time (operational organization isnt their strong suit).

Certainly not nefarious though, and while I get people join websites all the time because they want to talk about shortcomings, this one seems on the mild side, all things considered.
Just so you know its 60 days not 30 which is ridiculous to me.

I am in MA too. I called up progressive, and got my policy up and running starting 24th. But since I don't have a plate number yet, they asked me to call some other number to get an RTA form. Did that happen with you too?
No. I'm with Commerce/MAPFRE and there is an agent in my town. They sent all the documents to the Tesla store in Dedham and when I got there the plates were on the car and all I had to do was hand over the check, sign something, inspect the car and drive off. It took maybe 20 minutes and it was on a Saturday too.