Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla wont cover rattles or any noise related defects after 15k miles?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car has been rattling like a can since I purchased it. I've brought it to a SC maybe half a dozen times just for random noises that pop up. I've had existing issues with rattles from the front vent.

I show up to my appointment today and I was told my car would not be worked because after 15K miles they don't cover any noise related fixes. I asked why it doesn't cover it since the warranty is 50K miles and they said it was a new policy.

Either the rep at the SC was lying because they were busy or this is a new policy. I called the 1800 number and they said they've never heard of the 15K limited warranty on noises.

Just FYI, if anyone has noise related problems, get it checked out before 15K miles just in case. I'm currently going to another SC.

Good luck to you all.

My car has been rattling like a can since I purchased it. I've brought it to a SC maybe half a dozen times just for random noises that pop up. I've had existing issues with rattles from the front vent.

I show up to my appointment today and I was told my car would not be worked because after 15K miles they don't cover any noise related fixes. I asked why it doesn't cover it since the warranty is 50K miles and they said it was a new policy.

Either the rep at the SC was lying because they were busy or this is a new policy. I called the 1800 number and they said they've never heard of the 15K limited warranty on noises.

Just FYI, if anyone has noise related problems, get it checked out before 15K miles just in case. I'm currently going to another SC.

Good luck to you all.
Seems like the SC are more strict about fixing non mechanical issues after a certain amount of time. I just wished they would tell you that something is not covered by warranty before you show up at the SC.

Warranty is bumper to bumper.. it should clearly cover "workmanship" i.e. assembly issues / loose parts surfacing as rattles or squeaks.

The "problem" with EV's is they're so quiet... every little squeak can be heard.

This is so subjective, what is "too loud" deserving the right for a fix, versus turn up the radio to drown it out.

Could you imagine Tesla injecting cabin noise through speakers to create / simulate more typical noises of ICE cars to help people getting in to EVs feel like a more familiar environment? Thus masking / drowning out other rattles so you can't isolate them and complain. And over time, the volume of noise is slowly reduced so at 10,000 miles they are off completely, and now having been replaced by the natural noises of the car... Who'd notice if that was done gradually enough?

Similar to how external noise makers are soon necessary for EVs to help pedestrians identify traffic crawling around at slow speeds, because the car is too silent.

I have a habit of reading my owners manual cover to cover after buying a new car and many of my dozen or so cars have had a provision in the warranty booklet excluding squeaks and rattles after a period of time (usually one year from date of purchase).

If your air conditioner compressor has a bad bearing and is making noise that’s not the kind of thing that’s excluded. If some piece of plastic is rattling in the interior and is not broken or dangerous it’s generally off the list after a period of time.

I expect Tesla to ignore any requests for ticks, squeaks and rattles after about a year. If something is actually broken though (clip breaks off a trim piece causing the rattle) I would still expect that to be covered.

..which is reasonable, because they're not able to restrict what kind of bumpy roads you are to drive on.

It has been known in the past that Tesla inspected car data to see what kind of roads were frequented by a driver making claims on suspension parts. When the road was seen to be a bumpy gravel road travelled every day... claim denied. Model S is not covered for "off highway" use. Model X you may have an argument.

The power of telemetrics, your agreement to share data up, and google maps street views ... all put together is an awesome thing!

• Informative
Reactions: lottadot and omar
Seems like the SC are more strict about fixing non mechanical issues after a certain amount of time. I just wished they would tell you that something is not covered by warranty before you show up at the SC.

Yeah, seems like they were just making it up as they went along. A heads up would have been nice but maybe they didn't want to put this bogus warranty in writing or left on a voicemail.

Yeah, I'm conflicted. I truly dread bringing the car back because I know there are much more critical issues that other people need fixed but at the same time I spent 60K on a new car that rattles.

They even verified the noise in a quick drive before they told me about this 15K warranty.

It's just disheartening. I feel like I'll have to fight to get things fixed in the future which shouldn't be the case. If this is a new policy it should be in effect with new cars going forward and not a retroactive amendment to their "bumper to bumper" warranty.

• Disagree
Reactions: JayNJ
I've never seen that. That's really good to know.

It is in your My Tesla account. I do recommend downloading your own copy ASAP if you didn't at purchase, because Tesla has changed the links in people's My Tesla accounts when they updated their warranty terms. Folks had to have original copies to fight them on provisions that were changed.

Yeah, I'm conflicted. I truly dread bringing the car back because I know there are much more critical issues that other people need fixed but at the same time I spent 60K on a new car that rattles.

They even verified the noise in a quick drive before they told me about this 15K warranty.

It's just disheartening. I feel like I'll have to fight to get things fixed in the future which shouldn't be the case. If this is a new policy it should be in effect with new cars going forward and not a retroactive amendment to their "bumper to bumper" warranty.

I have a feeling that in the past they were just doing this work as goodwill above and beyond the printed warranty coverage.

I’ve found that if I look at this from the service writer’s perspective AND pinpoint exactly which part is the culprit and where I can apply pressure or padding to stop it they’re pretty forgiving (all automakers).

The techs in most shops get a flat rate per line item no matter how long it takes to diagnose and fix an issue, and in my experience it’s less than a third of an hour’s pay for rattles even if it takes them three hours of work.

Go in with this perspective and having identified the exact offending part and one can make headway on resolving it. If it’s really driving you nuts offer to pay for the labor charge, which shows them the severity of the issue. If you’re willing to dump $350 to quell a rattle they sometimes meet you halfway.

It is in your My Tesla account. I do recommend downloading your own copy ASAP if you didn't at purchase, because Tesla has changed the links in people's My Tesla accounts when they updated their warranty terms. Folks had to have original copies to fight them on provisions that were changed.

Great tip!

I have a feeling that in the past they were just doing this work as goodwill above and beyond the printed warranty coverage.

I’ve found that if I look at this from the service writer’s perspective AND pinpoint exactly which part is the culprit and where I can apply pressure or padding to stop it they’re pretty forgiving (all automakers).

The techs in most shops get a flat rate per line item no matter how long it takes to diagnose and fix an issue, and in my experience it’s less than a third of an hour’s pay for rattles even if it takes them three hours of work.

Go in with this perspective and having identified the exact offending part and one can make headway on resolving it. If it’s really driving you nuts offer to pay for the labor charge, which shows them the severity of the issue. If you’re willing to dump $350 to quell a rattle they sometimes meet you halfway.

Yeah, I agree. I'm trying to look at this from their prescriptive. If they quoted me the warranty line I would have been much more understanding but to lie and make up some bogus 15K limited warranty just irks me.

I can't help but notice the transition from everyone raving along the lines of "yes, Teslas may have issues but they'll always take care of you like no other manufacturer" to pretending the rattleboxes we bought are performing normally.

I'd speculate that for every N customers sent away unsatisfied, there will be N + M who will not buy another Tesla (where N = the set of unsatisfied customers and M = those who will endlessly hear from said unsatisfied customers).

This is a long game, they built a good brand but it's eroding and every bit of that erosion lowers both the amount of future sales and the amount they can charge per unit. I think it would be very unwise of Tesla to make this a habit.

Last edited: