Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Won't Install Panels Dilemma

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm building a detached ADU in CA which requires solar panels.

On the building permit for the ADU, the solar panels are a "deferred submittal". If I understand deferred submital correctly, it just means the solar plans are submitted for review after the main building permit is issued.

Here's my dilemma. Solar panels are required on my ADU. I won't pass final inspection until solar is installed but Tesla won't install the solar until I provide them a copy of the approved final inspection.

Has anyone ever come across this and how did you move the project forward? How'd you get Tesla to install the solar panels without getting final inspection approval?

Thanks!

• Informative
Reactions: Vines and Jedi2155
Solar panels are required on my ADU. I won't pass final inspection until solar is installed

Really? Are you, like 1000% sure on this point? You have called the city inspectors and asked, or had the contractor that is building your ADU (whose job it is to help you with your permits) verify that with their contacts in the city, that the ADU can not be approved without solar?

Believe that Tesla will not want to install Solar panels until after the building is complete and hooked up to utility. Makes sense that they will not want to install until Utilities are to code.
Maybe they could install their Solar Roof, as that is designed for new builds. Would be designed into the original plans.

Really? Are you, like 1000% sure on this point? You have called the city inspectors and asked, or had the contractor that is building your ADU (whose job it is to help you with your permits) verify that with their contacts in the city, that the ADU can not be approved without solar?

That's the new 2020 law:

I guess I'll find out when I schedule my final inspection without having the solar panels installed. Since the solar panels are listed on my ADU permit, I'm assuming the inspector will check everything off except for the solar piece. If this is the case, hopefully that'll be sufficient for Tesla to proceed with solar installation. Once solar is installed, I'll have the inspector sign off on the solar.

I'm building a detached ADU in CA which requires solar panels.

On the building permit for the ADU, the solar panels are a "deferred submittal". If I understand deferred submital correctly, it just means the solar plans are submitted for review after the main building permit is issued.

Here's my dilemma. Solar panels are required on my ADU. I won't pass final inspection until solar is installed but Tesla won't install the solar until I provide them a copy of the approved final inspection.

Has anyone ever come across this and how did you move the project forward? How'd you get Tesla to install the solar panels without getting final inspection approval?

Thanks!

Correct, the city won't sign off the ADU without the PV required.

IMO the best solution is to work with a company familiar with new construction on the builders schedule, not Tesla schedule. The interconnection application is different and it might be Tesla isn't doing any new construction type applications at all.

I know that one thing other companies were getting hand-slapped for was calling everything new construction, as it allowed you to skip some steps in the interconnection portal with PGE. Not sure if that has anything to do with Tesla, or this issue specifically. All we know is that Tesla was deficient/wrong in enough applications to trigger the watchlist.

• Informative
Reactions: BGbreeder