Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla won't perform any alignment/wheel/suspension work on car with aftermarket rims/tires

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello all,

Thank you for contributing to this thread!

Here is an update. Colorado Tesla Service Center will ONLY let me put on the Michelin Primacy MXM4 P245/45R19. I asked if I could put on the Continental ExtremeContact DW. Response was NO, he replied:

"I have seen that tire cause vibration and pull issues historically. The Michelin in our collective experience is going to be your best bet."

I asked it I could put on the Bridgestone S-03. Response NO, he replied!

"The Michelin MXM4 family of tires has been around for quite a while, and has been subject to continuous improvement. The one that Tesla has selected is a fairly recent update to that family of tires, and has the ability to withstand the weight and performance of the Model S.

The Bridgestone is not an approved tire by Tesla, and I personally have no experience with it. As an unapproved tire, we wouldn’t be able to service it nor would we be able to service any aspect of the wheel that would require us to mount or dismount the tire – such as the TPMS sensors or valve stems. We also would not be able to source them nor install them."

So along with only using Tesla wheels, there is only one tire I am allowed to put on 19" approved Tesla wheel. What are peoples experience with the Primacy? I have been running 21 inch wheels and am switching to (Tesla only!) 19inch wheels and tires with all the snow and potholes here in Denver.

Thanks!!

The Primacy is mediocre. I just replaced mine at 40,000 miles with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3. It is superior in every way that you can actually feel. Ride is smoother, much quieter, little or no tramlining versus the Primacy, and surprisingly, much softer over bumps and road imperfections. Cornering and acceleration are vastly superior with the A/S 3. The Pilot Sport A/S 3 is a newer technology than the Primacy, however it is not LRR (low rolling resistance) which means that your energy consumption may increase. Pilot Sport A/S 3 has the same 45,000 mile tread life warranty and is a less expensive tire than the Primacy. Except for the LRR thing, it's a total win.

I read an article recently that asserted drivers are eschewing LRR tires due to the inferior handling and performance of LRR tires. It seems manufacturers are putting LRR tires on their EVs and PHEVs out of a desire to squeeze every last drop of range/mileage from the car, not necessarily picking the best performing tire. This is why I would not necessarily put much stock in what your service center is saying with regard to the Primacy. From my experience, the Pilot Sport A/S 3 is superior in every way, so why not use that tire instead of the Primacy? Oh, right, the LRR of the Primacy allows Tesla to advertise a higher EPA range.

This is complete nonsense from the Tesla Service advisor ... I would escalate to the next level up for resolution.

Hello all,Thank you for contributing to this thread!

Here is an update. Colorado Tesla Service Center will ONLY let me put on the Michelin Primacy MXM4 P245/45R19. I asked if I could put on the Continental ExtremeContact DW. Response was NO, he replied:

"I have seen that tire cause vibration and pull issues historically. The Michelin in our collective experience is going to be your best bet."

I asked it I could put on the Bridgestone S-03. Response NO, he replied!

"The Michelin MXM4 family of tires has been around for quite a while, and has been subject to continuous improvement. The one that Tesla has selected is a fairly recent update to that family of tires, and has the ability to withstand the weight and performance of the Model S.

The Bridgestone is not an approved tire by Tesla, and I personally have no experience with it. As an unapproved tire, we wouldn’t be able to service it nor would we be able to service any aspect of the wheel that would require us to mount or dismount the tire – such as the TPMS sensors or valve stems. We also would not be able to source them nor install them."

So along with only using Tesla wheels, there is only one tire I am allowed to put on 19" approved Tesla wheel. What are peoples experience with the Primacy? I have been running 21 inch wheels and am switching to (Tesla only!) 19inch wheels and tires with all the snow and potholes here in Denver.
Thanks!!

That seems a bit silly to me, but its not completely unreasonable that they won't want to take the tires off the wheel if they aren't approved tires. Shouldn't really matter any decent tire shop is going to be able to do that far cheaper than the service center anyway.

Jaguar, I agree that a tire shop will do it cheaper. My concern is that Tesla won't do the following work if I go get my own aftermarket tires and wheels, verbatim from my SA:

"So that you are aware, our policy is that we will not be able to perform any work on the vehicle that involves aftermarket wheels or unapproved tires. Basically what that means is that if you have any issues with the tire pressure monitoring sensors, alignment, suspension work, brake fluid change or any other service requirement that would involve removal of or working with the wheels and tires we would be prohibited from performing that work."

Jaguar, I agree that a tire shop will do it cheaper. My concern is that Tesla won't do the following work if I go get my own aftermarket tires and wheels, verbatim from my SA:

"So that you are aware, our policy is that we will not be able to perform any work on the vehicle that involves aftermarket wheels or unapproved tires. Basically what that means is that if you have any issues with the tire pressure monitoring sensors, alignment, suspension work, brake fluid change or any other service requirement that would involve removal of or working with the wheels and tires we would be prohibited from performing that work."

The experience I've had with my local service center has not been as described above. All service told me was that they would not mount tires they do not sell, but that's all. I'm not sure if the above service manager is correctly interpreting Tesla's policies because I have not heard of any such thing elsewhere or from any other owners.

I would call another service center and/or Tesla HQ. Sounds like the manager of that SC is a nutjob.

I would escalate this to the regional manager, although Tesla's new communication policy may forbid the regional manager from directly contacting a customer. At least that's the new policy as was communicated to me by my SvC. I was told that all complaints to upper management would be discussed on the Tesla side, but that the local service manager would be the only one communicating with the customer.

I would escalate this to the regional manager, although Tesla's new communication policy may forbid the regional manager from directly contacting a customer. At least that's the new policy as was communicated to me by my SvC. I was told that all complaints to upper management would be discussed on the Tesla side, but that the local service manager would be the only one communicating with the customer.

A disastrous policy. That's a single point of failure. So if the service manager is the issue, you've got a problem.

it's definitely service center specific to your area. I do not have OEM wheels or tires. I have aftermarket TSportline wheels and aftermarket pilot sport and pirelli tires for 3 years now. I've had at least 3 annuals and probably about 5 or 6 other visits for DU replacements and TPMS problems between 3 different service centers now and all of them had no problem with the removal and reattachment of my aftermarket wheels and tires. they've all done alignments, and even twice now TPMS replacement on my aftermarket wheels and tires (which actually does require dismounting and remounting my aftermarket tire on my aftermarket wheel!!). have had multiple DU replacements now, which not only requires tires and wheels coming out but also entire suspension. basically what your SC is saying is that if your Drive Unit fails, they will not replace it because it requires taking your aftermarket tires off?? obviously that SC manager is a nutjob and has no clue what he's doing. escalate this or go to a service center where the manager is not psychotic.

it's definitely service center specific to your area. I do not have OEM wheels or tires. I have aftermarket TSportline wheels and aftermarket pilot sport and pirelli tires for 3 years now. I've had at least 3 annuals and probably about 5 or 6 other visits for DU replacements and TPMS problems between 3 different service centers now and all of them had no problem with the removal and reattachment of my aftermarket wheels and tires. they've all done alignments, and even twice now TPMS replacement on my aftermarket wheels and tires (which actually does require dismounting and remounting my aftermarket tire on my aftermarket wheel!!). have had multiple DU replacements now, which not only requires tires and wheels coming out but also entire suspension. basically what your SC is saying is that if your Drive Unit fails, they will not replace it because it requires taking your aftermarket tires off?? obviously that SC manager is a nutjob and has no clue what he's doing. escalate this or go to a service center where the manager is not psychotic.

You raise a very valid point. If you have "non-standard" tires, meaning anything other than what Tesla sells, is Tesla going to refuse changing a defective DU and then performing the mandatory alignment afterward simply because you have such tires on your car? That might be a good question to ask that service manager. I wonder if he or she is new?

I just got my car back from it's annual service (this is at the Burbank service center), they even commented that they liked my 19" Rials. They rotated the wheels & aligned the car.

note 1: I've got 15k miles and I'm still at 6/32 all around, I might get another 5k?. On my old P85 w/21s, I got less than 10k miles and was at the cords!

note 2: the loaner was a P85, no autopilot (missed that), no tacc (missed that), no brake hold (missed that). I forgot how much rear wheel spin there was on the P85, that was fun!

Agreed, although my service manager here is top notch.

Has anyone had any communication with anyone above the local service manager in the last few months? I'm curious how strictly Tesla is adhering to this new policy.

Yes. It does, however, require that you not throw a tantrum, that you act like a human, and that you have a reasonable mind in considering their approach.

The Primacy is mediocre. I just replaced mine at 40,000 miles with the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3. It is superior in every way that you can actually feel. Ride is smoother, much quieter, little or no tramlining versus the Primacy, and surprisingly, much softer over bumps and road imperfections. Cornering and acceleration are vastly superior with the A/S 3. The Pilot Sport A/S 3 is a newer technology than the Primacy, however it is not LRR (low rolling resistance) which means that your energy consumption may increase. Pilot Sport A/S 3 has the same 45,000 mile tread life warranty and is a less expensive tire than the Primacy. Except for the LRR thing, it's a total win.

I read an article recently that asserted drivers are eschewing LRR tires due to the inferior handling and performance of LRR tires. It seems manufacturers are putting LRR tires on their EVs and PHEVs out of a desire to squeeze every last drop of range/mileage from the car, not necessarily picking the best performing tire. This is why I would not necessarily put much stock in what your service center is saying with regard to the Primacy. From my experience, the Pilot Sport A/S 3 is superior in every way, so why not use that tire instead of the Primacy? Oh, right, the LRR of the Primacy allows Tesla to advertise a higher EPA range.

Hey Amped. really appreciate your feedback. I asked about the PS3s. Once again, a dead end. Honestly, I am getting tired of this back and forth and will just go with what they are forcing me to buy. I don't have the time to try and move this up the chain. Here is what SA said:

"The Michelin PS2 is approved for the 21” configuration – We don’t have the PS3 as an approved tire – The Michelin in the 21” is what your car has on it and from a performance stand point would be my personal preference, and is what we quoted."

Interesting that your SC said NO to the Continental tires when my SC told me that the 19 inch ExtremeContact DSW06 tire was an option for my P85 with TSportline wheels. I currently have the Michelin AS/3 tires on these wheels, and the SC has never given me an issue with performing alignments, or TPMS sensor replacements (which were purchased from Tesla and installed on the TSportline wheels by Tesla) or replacement of rotors over brake noise issues. Sounds to me like the guy at your SC is being hard headed.

One of the funnier things they do, is they won't balance or rotate the Michelin ice3 tires at a US service center because it isn't a Tesla approved tire... In north america. But it is a Tesla approved tire in Canada, and they'll service it fine there.

Tire BS aside, no one is concerned that Tesla thinks Canada is not part of North America? :)

On a more serious note, I'm wondering what the "official" policy would be on working on Tesla rims that have had Hakka R2s mounted on them. (I am extrapolating from the above that Tesla in the US would not actually balance or rotate the Hakka R2s, even though those tires are an OEM approved tire in Europe.)

I have been less than thrilled with the Sottozeros my Tesla winter wheel package came with, and when it's time to replace them my plan is to go with the Hakka R2s. If I have to have them mounted initially somewhere else, I'll live with that, but if the Tesla SC gives me grief about working on the car that has Tesla rims on it, and tires that Tesla recommends in Europe, that would be a real pain.

My car is in there because I had a flat on my left wheel. After 8k miles. I have 21 inch stock wheels and Pirelli stock tires. Then they told all my tires needed to be replaced. This is the 2nd set of tires after 14k miles. I told them I am tired of buying their expensive tires and wanted to go after market and that is the response I got.

Yes, I guess they will work on the rest of my car except what is included in his email. What should the title of my thread be?

I'd be switching to 19" or 20" rims and cheaper tires myself. No way I'd put up with them trying to have that void my warranty.

I'd put 18" on there if it'd clear the calipers (it won't).

No way I'd put up with any shenanigans about not servicing my car because I went with a different tire style. I'd be taking pictures of emails and print outs and tweeting them, facebooking them, emailing them, etcetera until someone retrained that service manager or there was an official press release from Fremont supporting a change in policy and somehow addressing MagnusonMoss.

Last edited:
Hey Amped. really appreciate your feedback. I asked about the PS3s. Once again, a dead end. Honestly, I am getting tired of this back and forth and will just go with what they are forcing me to buy. I don't have the time to try and move this up the chain. Here is what SA said:

"The Michelin PS2 is approved for the 21” configuration – We don’t have the PS3 as an approved tire – The Michelin in the 21” is what your car has on it and from a performance stand point would be my personal preference, and is what we quoted."

It sounds to me like your SvC is injecting a little too much personal opinion into what tires you should be putting on your Model S and casting themselves in the role of an expert. Do you have the pre-paid service agreement? If so, I might ask your SvC to point out where in the service agreement it states, or where in the warranty does it state, that you cannot use tires other than those that Tesla offers. I don't know whether it does or it doesn't, but make them show it to you.

Just ran into this exact problem today. Tesla service center refused to perform non-warranty work on my Model S because it has to do with aftermarket wheel/tires.

Does Tesla Motors really expect us to drive in the snow on our 21" Summer performance tires? Of course I have winter tire/wheels on.