Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla won't sell me a 90 kWh pack unless I give them my old pack for 12% market value

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And you say, go ahead and report it. You've then called their bluff. They'd be stupid to report it as it would then be THEM giving a false report on something they know nothing about, and there's zero risk to you as even if Tesla was that stupid the police would simply ask, you say no, and your're done.
Tesla has zero interest in the police investigation either, because they were not a party involved. If my TV is stolen, the manufacturer doesn't get involved, and they have no standing to force me to involve them. Same here, Tesla has no standing to force you to give them a file number or anything.
Given this would presumably be the first incident where someone just stole a battery from a Model S, I think Tesla would be more interested than you suggest. Anyways, as Johan said, it's pretty much a thought exercise as a whole. I doubt anyone will try this.

The question is, if you really don't have a battery, will Tesla actually tell you that they won't sell you one and that you now have an undriveable piece of junk? I can't imagine that would go over well in the media.

But name one situation that is believable where you could have in your possession a perfectly working car without a battery without you your self having had the battery removed to be sold or used for other purposes???

And you say, go ahead and report it. You've then called their bluff. They'd be stupid to report it as it would then be THEM giving a false report on something they know nothing about, and there's zero risk to you as even if Tesla was that stupid the police would simply ask, you say no, and your're done.
Tesla has zero interest in the police investigation either, because they were not a party involved. If my TV is stolen, the manufacturer doesn't get involved, and they have no standing to force me to involve them. Same here, Tesla has no standing to force you to give them a file number or anything.

"Standing" applies to court actions in relation to plaintiffs in civil actions. It doesn't apply to criminal matters. In fact, the police can (and in some cases must) press chargers even when the victim does not want to, and won't cooperate. Often criminal cases are presented by way of third parties who inadvertently become involved.

I have seen many times when people report a theft to an insurer but not the police (for obvious reasons). You're telling me the police don't take that report since the insurer has no standing? Nice try. Not only do they take it but they investigate to determine if the theft is legitimate or not and the reason for not reporting. I've been involved in this first hand -- not through "friends". It's best at that time for people who claim false thefts to come clean with the police and admit the lie since lying to the police about that theft could easily result in a charge.

And as others have said, of course Tesla would report it. To think otherwise is ludicrous.

Given this would presumably be the first incident where someone just stole a battery from a Model S, I think Tesla would be more interested than you suggest. Anyways, as Johan said, it's pretty much a thought exercise as a whole. I doubt anyone will try this.
They might be interested, without having official status as an "interested party". Just because they want to know doesn't entitle them to knowing.

- - - Updated - - -

But name one situation that is believable where you could have in your possession a perfectly working car without a battery without you your self having had the battery removed to be sold or used for other purposes???
Well, it's designed to be removed in under 3 minutes with no access to the interior of the vehicle and is worth $20,000... I can think of a situation that could result in you no longer having it.
There are other ways too. road debris (the titanium shield is probably not 100% infallible) mistakes like trying to drive through a bus trap and landing on it, being towed improperly, there are many ways to damage something that covers the whole bottom of the car.

- - - Updated - - -

I have seen many times when people report a theft to an insurer but not the police (for obvious reasons). You're telling me the police don't take that report since the insurer has no standing? Nice try. Not only do they take it but they investigate to determine if the theft is legitimate or not and the reason for not reporting. I've been involved in this first hand -- not through "friends". It's best at that time for people who claim false thefts to come clean with the police and admit the lie since lying to the police about that theft could easily result in a charge.
You're referring to insurance fraud. The police would charge you with that, not with filing a false police report, as you did not in fact file one. you also wouldn't be lying to the police, you'd be lying to Tesla, which is not a crime. Nowhere in any of the posts has anyone (other than yourself) talked about lying to the police.

Well, it's designed to be removed in under 3 minutes with no access to the interior of the vehicle and is worth $20,000... I can think of a situation that could result in you no longer having it.

And if this situation did if fact occur (I assume you mean actual battery theft) you really think Tesla wouldn't push to have this reported to the police, regardless of your willingness to report it?!?

And if this situation did if fact occur (I assume you mean actual battery theft) you really think Tesla wouldn't push to have this reported to the police, regardless of your willingness to report it?!?
They can push all they want. You can even do so, or not, at your discretion. Tesla will have no way of knowing if you did or not unless you choose to tell them. Will they refuse you service unless you provide them the police file number? They have no right to that information.

You're referring to insurance fraud. The police would charge you with that, not with filing a false police report, as you did not in fact file one. you also wouldn't be lying to the police, you'd be lying to Tesla, which is not a crime. Nowhere in any of the posts has anyone (other than yourself) talked about lying to the police.

You twist everything I say. I never said lying to Tesla was a crime. I said "It's best at that time for people who claim false thefts to come clean with the police and admit the lie since lying to the police about that theft could easily result in a charge." Got it now?

To think the police would have no interest in a call from Tesla advising that a $40k battery was stolen and not reported, simply because Tesla reported it by way of second hand information, is simply not true. Please, ask your police friends if they got a call from Tesla saying they sell extremely high powered and dangerous battery packs that are worth ~$40k and they pass along this information (from the original post):

"Hello neighborhood Tesla Service Center. Someone stole the battery pack off my Model S. Did I file a police report? Nope, I only have liability insurance on my vehicle, so it's not worth the trouble of a police report and I have no insurance to make a claim against."

Would their response be, "sorry sir, we can't help you." Or would it be:

Reporting a crime – useful information:

• Anyone who is aware that a crime has been committed can report it. It is not essential for you to have been personally affected by the crime.
  • You can report a crime even if you do not know who committed it.

https://www.ch.ch/en/reporting-someone-police-filing-report/

um... is this the same thread I started a couple of days ago? lol Not sure what we're going on about here.

Anyway, still waiting to hear back from Tesla on the verdict after offering to sign some waivers.

We're debating stealing your battery. Or I think that's what the thread is about now.

Clearly, we should move past debating and make it actually happen. Think about it: stealing his battery is the perfect solution. He can buy a new battery from Tesla without selling the old one back. We'll launder the stolen goods a bit, then sell the battery back to him for cheap. We make a tidy profit, he gets his spare battery, and Tesla makes a nice profit selling the new battery. It's win-win-win.

wk057: obviously, forget you saw anything here, since you don't want to know too much. Just start making a habit of leaving your car out in the open where it's easy to get to. And, obviously, leave the alarm off.

Clearly, we should move past debating and make it actually happen. Think about it: stealing his battery is the perfect solution. He can buy a new battery from Tesla without selling the old one back. We'll launder the stolen goods a bit, then sell the battery back to him for cheap. We make a tidy profit, he gets his spare battery, and Tesla makes a nice profit selling the new battery. It's win-win-win.

wk057: obviously, forget you saw anything here, since you don't want to know too much. Just start making a habit of leaving your car out in the open where it's easy to get to. And, obviously, leave the alarm off.

This will not end well.

This will not end well.
Well, maybe I know someone whose uncle's first girlfriend is related to a Moderator who might evince an interest in considering locking this thread in order to forestall any possibility of inciting felonious actions.

Just saying.

In a Mild-Mannered Way.

LOL. I'm pretty sure if you tried the "someone stole my battery" ruse, the first thing Tesla would ask is where. Your answer? "My garage?" "The auto shop down the street with a lift and an engine hoist?" Ha.

I'm pretty sure a "battery removed" event will stand out pretty clearly in your car's logs, which no doubt are geotagged.

But yeah, fanciful thinking.

What if you just removed the battery and dissassembled it for some other purpose? Why go through the charade of lying about a theft? Tell Tesla you need to buy a new one and freely admit what happened to the old one. Will they then refuse to repair it or sell you a new battery? I've scavenged hundreds, maybe thousands of parts from cars that I owned to use on other vehicles or even for Rube Goldberg contraptions of my own. I've never heard of a company refusing to sell me a part because they don't like how I used the old one.

They would rebadge it P90D, without the underline, unless I pay them the $5k for Ludicrous, which I'm not sure I will.

I still think that if you were to move forward with this, the "correct" price that you should pay for Ludicrous should be less than $5K, since significantly less work would be involved in upgrading your new 90 battery than would have been required to upgrade your 85 battery. The $5000 price has some labor component built into it. If you move forward, and are interested in the Ludicrous upgrade, you should try to negotiate that $5000 figure.