Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla won't send me my own logs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, I hit a deer this morning and watched the thing get smashed with my BlackVue over and over again trying to figure out how I never saw the poor thing and I'm not surprised AP didn't see it either.

Even though I had AP engaged I'm not going to be one of those people who blame it and say they need to get rid of it. It's the best thing yet! Anyway, I called Tesla and have tried to get my own logs of the event and apparently I can't get them. Well, they won't give them to me anyway. Best advice I got was to go to my SC and ask them for the logs, but I'm pretty sure they won't have them as the servers are not hosted there. Lol.

My next question was if I could just get a summarization of the incident and that is still up in the air. I'm not giving up that easily though. ;)

• Informative
Reactions: rfinn
Best advice I got was to go to my SC and ask them for the logs, but I'm pretty sure they won't have them as the servers are not hosted there. Lol.

My local service center has pulled up logs on many occasions. Doesn't really matter where the server is. Give them a shot and see what they say. What data are you hoping to get from the logs about hitting a deer?

Reactions: jonman
I am reading my manual in preparation for my CPO Model S, and I noticed a section about the Vehicle Telematics/Data Recorders. It states that "Tesla does not disclose the data recorded to an owner unless it pertains to a non-warranty repair service and in this case, will disclose only the data that is related to the repair."

Since the repairs will not be warranty repairs, maybe you can use that argument to try and get your log info? (I assume the X has a similar section in its manual)

My local service center has pulled up logs on many occasions. Doesn't really matter where the server is. Give them a shot and see what they say. What data are you hoping to get from the logs about hitting a deer?

Just data I have never seen before. I am really curious about what kind of data there is. I used to be a traffic crash investigator and detailed vehicle logs would be great for reconstructing the incident.

This is just for fun and to please my curiosity.

Reactions: bhzmark and Footbag
Any significant damage? Surprised Tesla won't tell you what AP saw. Can you post the blackvue video?

Yeah I can put it up on my YouTube account later today and share out the link.

I didn't think the damage was too severe but it was still dark that early in the morning. I will be taking pictures tomorrow when I go to the storage yard.

Reactions: K-MTG
Just data I have never seen before. I am really curious about what kind of data there is. I used to be a traffic crash investigator and detailed vehicle logs would be great for reconstructing the incident.

This is just for fun and to please my curiosity.
Good luck. I hope they are able to give you something. It would be nice to know "if" it would have reacted on 8.1, so at least you might be able to provide them a datapoint to study.

Reactions: jonman
Best advice I got was to go to my SC and ask them for the logs, but I'm pretty sure they won't have them as the servers are not hosted there. Lol.
I don't get this comment. The logs are not "hosted" by Tesla. The logs are inside your car. When Tesla accesses it remotely, they actually download it from your car using the 3G or 4G connection (or in severe accidents where the airbags deploy, they may be sent automatically). There have been accidents where the antenna was damaged and Tesla can't access the logs remotely. In that case they have to send someone to download the logs from the car.

I don't get this comment. The logs are not "hosted" by Tesla. The logs are inside your car. When Tesla accesses it remotely, they actually download it from your car using the 3G or 4G connection (or in severe accidents where the airbags deploy, they may be sent automatically). There have been accidents where the antenna was damaged and Tesla can't access the logs remotely. In that case they have to send someone to download the logs from the car.

And now we know. ;)

This is a matter of some contention. Tesla has publicly stated in the past the the data belongs to them, not you, even though it resides in your car. They will not release it, except with a court order. Apparently there's some federal rule about event data recorders which that opinion contrasts with, but they have stated the rule doesn't apply as they log EVERYTHING and the rule is only for event data recorders.

Splitting hairs but the point is as per my first sentence.

Aww man, totally dislike that video, poor guy.

I was a passenger in a WRX going 70 that hit a deer and totaled the car. Learned a lot during the experience, most importantly that you are NOT supposed to swerve to avoid hitting it. People have really hurt themselves doing that. Insurance classified it as "an act of God" and paid for the whole thing.

Also, in some areas like where I was in Colorado, (according to the tow truck driver) there is an overpopulation of deers that is harming the environment.