Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla won't send me my own logs

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
This forum has mentioned a so called lemon law. It seems inconceivable to me that a car manufacturer would be able to get around that law simply by having the purchase contract include a clause that the buyer would never claim the right afforded to them by this law.

This actually happens. My grandfather worked for Jeep for 40+ years and I was fortunate enough to be able to use his employee discount on many occasions. Part of the deal of "getting a better price than that dealership owner can even get" is waiving your rights to sue under the Lemon Law and instead agree to results of a binding arbitration.

• Informative
Reactions: lklundin
We have tons of deer where I drive. Many live right in the towns I pass through regularly. The fields on the way to my cabin often have too many count. The fact I haven't hit one is amazing but if I followed your advice, I'd have hit a few by now. While your advice has some merit, and I have told my wife and daughters to be prepared to hit one if swerving is not safe, such as if you have to swerve into oncoming traffic, or off a cliff. But I never made the "no swerving" advice categorical since in many cases swerving to avoid hitting a deer is not more dangerous, plus if you train yourself not to swerve and you hit a moose, it's like hitting a brick wall, and you'd wish you'd swerved.

When I watch the video I wonder if AP played a part in allowing the driver to not pay as much attention. Yes, the deer comes up abruptly but it's standing on the road. I don't care how dark and fast I am going, I am looking at the road with enough time to stop if there's something there. The deer that dart out I can understand but this accident looked somewhat preventable to me. Then again, I wasn't there so perhaps I am wrong.

So, I was a traffic crash investigator for Florida State Patrol for many years and my experience and numerous investigations have taught me a lot.

You say " I don't care how dark and fast I am going..." So, you can't travel at dark speed thus I'm pretty sure you meant you don't care how dark it is or how fast you're moving. You wouldn't have been able to come to a complete stop and not hit the deer like you suggest. Flat out.

My wife and I were both watching the road as we know AP isn't that great... yet. You would not have avoided the deer unless you swerved. I don't know why people think the no swerve thing is not legit. During my Florida State police academy we are all told to not swerve even if you were the only car on a 7 lane road.

Bottom line, swerving is more dangerous than hitting the object. I will never wish I had swerved. It's just not safe.

I had the oh crap, I'm about to hit a deer moment, but there was nothing that could be done. AP didn't detect it and stopping in time to not hit the deer was not possible.

I have investigated too many accidents where we can tell the driver swerved to avoid hitting (insert object here) and they simply lost control due to traveling at highway speeds. The majority of drivers aren't trained how to properly drive their car at faster speeds or how to follow at safe distances at faster speeds. I see this at rush hour a lot! Drivers want to get right up on someone like it's going to make them get out of their way. When all lanes are packed and you are traveling that close, you will NEVER stop in time. Human reaction time just isn't that fast and unless you're operating a motorcycle, you won't stop in time.

The reaction time is why I like the AP idea. When you take the human out of the equation, then my job will be much easier!!

No more unsafe following distances,
no more swerving,
no more drunk driving,
no more last minute lane changes to make an exit,
no more lane changes without signaling,
no more drowsy driving,
no more distracted driving,
no more traffic congestion (all cars talk to each other),
and the list can go on for a while.

Reactions: hiroshiy
You have links and so do I. We could do this forever.

But that misses the point. I would not have swerved in those links. I am not against not swerving -- quite the contrary as I said initially:

I have told my wife and daughters to be prepared to hit one if swerving is not safe, such as if you have to swerve into oncoming traffic, or off a cliff. But I never made the "no swerving" advice categorical since in many cases swerving to avoid hitting a deer is not more dangerous, plus if you train yourself not to swerve and you hit a moose, it's like hitting a brick wall, and you'd wish you'd swerved.

Since I do not have the same categorical "no swerving" rule that you do,the links you send me are not at all the same as the link I sent you. I would have hit the deer in your links if swerving is more dangerous. With your rule, that has no room for discretion at all, you would have the moose in the link I directed you. So I don't see us as making the same point when we reference links.

When I am driving and I see a moose on the road, not uncommon where I drive -- I once had a bull and cow on the road together around a bend, and boy did I swerve! When I see a deer on a country road, or even a highway, with no one around, and I can avoid it, I am swerving. You will hit them rather than swerve (if you can't stop in time) since they often dart out.

Again, we respectfully agree to disagree.

So lets suppose that Tesla agrees to give you the "logs"...

How do you expect to be able to read/interpret the log data? I have an aircraft with Avidyne R9 avionics. This system also stores a lot of logging information and I know how to get to the "Technician logs" and download the logged data. The thing is, its all binary data and unless you know how to parse the file it will just all be relatively meaningless information. You will need to know how the data is encoded, what the various fields are, which field is associated with which data, what units each field is encoded in, what the max/min allowable range is for each field, and what generally pertains to a normal or unusual value for a specific field. Getting the raw data log dump is only the first part of a very long process to understand how it should be interpreted and what it all means. Who's going to interpret the raw data for you? I seriously doubt that Tesla has published the architecture for its log files...

IOW: "Sure buddy, here's your log data! Have fun!"

So lets suppose that Tesla agrees to give you the "logs"...

How do you expect to be able to read/interpret the log data? I have an aircraft with Avidyne R9 avionics. This system also stores a lot of logging information and I know how to get to the "Technician logs" and download the logged data. The thing is, its all binary data and unless you know how to parse the file it will just all be relatively meaningless information. You will need to know how the data is encoded, what the various fields are, which field is associated with which data, what units each field is encoded in, what the max/min allowable range is for each field, and what generally pertains to a normal or unusual value for a specific field. Getting the raw data log dump is only the first part of a very long process to understand how it should be interpreted and what it all means. Who's going to interpret the raw data for you? I seriously doubt that Tesla has published the architecture for its log files...

IOW: "Sure buddy, here's your log data! Have fun!"
From what we have seen here on this forum, they provide you with a summary of an event chronology in easy to understand language. Such as (example):
13:35:00 autosteer engaged
14:00:00 car detected by front camera
14:00:01 TACC breaking engaged
14:00:03 accelerator overrides braking
14:00:05 airbags deployed

I suppose you could get a subpoena for the raw data but usually people are satisfied with this level of detail.

From what we have seen here on this forum, they provide you with a summary of an event chronology in easy to understand language. Such as (example):
13:35:00 autosteer engaged
14:00:00 car detected by front camera
14:00:01 TACC breaking engaged
14:00:03 accelerator overrides braking
14:00:05 airbags deployed

I suppose you could get a subpoena for the raw data but usually people are satisfied with this level of detail.

I'm not aware of any logs being posted. Can you point me to a thread where this exists?

Recently was in Pennsylvania and it seemed that there was a dead deer on the highway every few miles. Definitely too many deer.
I hit a bear once (at home in California). It ran across the road and into the side of my car then bounced off. It ran off into the woods so I guess it survived. No damage to the car.
Not sure what the logs could tell you about the deer. There might be some record of the deer from the ultrasonic sensors just before you hit it but probably not that useful.