Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Blog Tesla Workers Say Skipped Soft-Tooling Phase Ups Danger Inside ‘Production Hell’

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Two pro-union workers from Tesla’s Fremont factory are speaking out about potential safety risks related to frantic efforts to hit production goals for the Model 3.

Tesla CEO Elon Musk has said the company is entering “production hell.” With heightened stress at the factory, the two workers fear that excessive overtime will result in overworked, tired workers who become more prone to injuries.

The workers told Business Insider that Tesla skipped a trial run on new equipment designed for Model 3 production. Instead, they used computer simulations to design and order the final production tools. The workers fear that trouble with the equipment could lead to worker injury.

“I have my doubts with that because, just like anything new, there are always going to be adjustments that need to be made and you can’t guarantee a flawless, injury-free line right off the launch,” Michael Catura, a Tesla battery production associate, told the Business Insider. “You’re going to have to deal with all the bugs, all the kinks.”

There are growing unionization efforts by workers at the plant. The concerns shared with Business Insider come just more than a week after a group of Tesla employees sent a letter to the company’s board of directors requesting access to Tesla’s safety plan, clarity on compensation and neutrality, and non-retaliation agreements in an effort toward unionization. The efforts are led by the “Tesla Workers’ Organizing Committee.”

Last edited by a moderator:
Something to consider, if the tooling is made at a union shop (didn't Tesla buy a tooling shop in Michigan?) there are more manhours needed to do both 'soft' tooling, usually aluminum, and production tooling, which is usually steel. About 25% more manhours for the project.
This could be completely unrelated to safety or California if the tooling is made elsewhere. Even at a subcontractor who is UAW. It means 25% more workers and dues.

• Helpful
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
Something to consider, if the tooling is made at a union shop (didn't Tesla buy a tooling shop in Michigan?) there are more manhours needed to do both 'soft' tooling, usually aluminum, and production tooling, which is usually steel. About 25% more manhours for the project.
This could be completely unrelated to safety or California if the tooling is made elsewhere. Even at a subcontractor who is UAW. It means 25% more workers and dues.

It could also mean 25% more time on the calendar - something I would assume is of great interest to Tesla?

So I guess after @anticitizen13.7 posted the Reuters source, it seems a fact that Tesla indeed skipped the soft tooling phase and went directly to ordering hard tooling for Model 3.

The reasons and repercussions, if any, are the remaining debate?

How would you know? Twitter is not the world.

I think you need to do your homework about Mary before bad-mouthing her. She is a few steps up the food chain when it comes to running an automotive company than most the CEOs of other automakers. She has personally managed the shop floor of an auto assy factory. She is highly trained in shop floor operations, manufacturing engineering, automotive design, automotive electronics, automotive human resources, automotive financial operations, and global procurement/manufacturing. Only then was she selected to be the CEO.

She has not only paid her dues and gotten her hands dirty, she has been successful in many auto related positions. She is arguably the world's greatest gearhead when it comes to making cars.

Why she is so often singled out as a lightweight has to do perception of women in the auto industry. It is not based on facts.
My apologies if my comment offended her. Once again, my offense was pointed at the popular media which likes to make more noise against what Musk and Tesla is doing as opposed to the ICE industry. (No offense against ICE mobiles - I own a '64 Chevy with a 450HP SB 408 that gets about 10 mi/gal) Consider me (and others) educated on the CEO's skill and experience, but, I was not- "bad-mouthing " her.

• Helpful
Reactions: AnxietyRanger
My apologies if my comment offended her. Once again, my offense was pointed at the popular media which likes to make more noise against what Musk and Tesla is doing as opposed to the ICE industry. (No offense against ICE mobiles - I own a '64 Chevy with a 450HP SB 408 that gets about 10 mi/gal) Consider me (and others) educated on the CEO's skill and experience, but, I was not- "bad-mouthing " her.

You asserted she is not pushing EV tech, and that is simply a lie. Hate to put it so bluntly, but there is no evidence, either in words or actions to support a position that she's the Toyota CEO.

I have a old Vette (2002) that will easily push through 175mph and ran 11.95 @ 117mph bone stock at Cal Speedway Fontana, yet gets >29 mpg at 70 mph til the tank runs dry. Our ZR1 was faster, quicker, and OMG thirstier, but I like '02 Z06 more. It's a go cart with too much power. Light, nimble, and fun to drift.

18436572 was great in it's day, but 18726543 is the azz kicker. 455hp/455tq from 376ci of NA pushrod small block goodness in the max smogger 2017 Camaro.

Last edited:
How would you know? Twitter is not the world.

I think you need to do your homework about Mary before bad-mouthing her. She is a few steps up the food chain when it comes to running an automotive company than most the CEOs of other automakers. She has personally managed the shop floor of an auto assy factory. She is highly trained in shop floor operations, manufacturing engineering, automotive design, automotive electronics, automotive human resources, automotive financial operations, and global procurement/manufacturing. Only then was she selected to be the CEO.

She has not only paid her dues and gotten her hands dirty, she has been successful in many auto related positions. She is arguably the world's greatest gearhead when it comes to making cars.

Why she is so often singled out as a lightweight has to do perception of women in the auto industry. It is not based on facts.

One of Mary Barra's accomplishments was to help rig the Michigan legislature to make it impossible for Tesla to sell or even to service Tesla automobiles anywhere in the state of Michigan. She followed this cowardly act by bragging in national forums that the Chevrolet Bolt was superior because you don't have to worry about having maintenance available for your car!

Any chance we could actually discuss the alleged fact that Tesla is skipping soft-tooling? UAW claims aside, any comments on what that means?

Even though early thread reaction seemed to dismiss it false, @anticitizen13.7 proved it correct by quoting Reuters as a neutral source, so I'm thinking we must consider it...

Any comments on that?

"Most automakers test a new model's production line by building vehicles with relatively cheap, prototype tools designed to be scrapped once they deliver doors that fit, body panels with the right shape and dashboards that don't have gaps or seams.

Tesla, however, is skipping that preliminary step and ordering permanent, more expensive equipment as it races to launch its Model 3 sedan by a self-imposed volume production deadline of September, Musk told investors last month." - Reuters, April 24, 2017

Any chance we could actually discuss the alleged fact that Tesla is skipping soft-tooling? UAW claims aside, any comments on what that means?

Even though early thread reaction seemed to dismiss it false, @anticitizen13.7 proved it correct by quoting Reuters as a neutral source, so I'm thinking we must consider it...

Any comments on that?

It means that Tesla is confident enough in their production tooling that they believe they will not run the risk of having to re-tool because they screwed up.

Given that EV's are inherently simpler by design than ICE cars, and that Tesla has 4+ years of production experience with the S, they should probably be OK. I've had both of my S's apart, and they really are a lot simpler than any ICE. Given that the 3 is even simpler than the S, I think this was a wise move on their part. Remember, they did bring in a manufacturing exec from Audi to accelerate the production process. I would not be surprised if his hand was in on this.

We'll know if this is the case if there is a "delay" in ramping up announced in a few months due to "unforeseen manufacturing issues".