Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Working on Driver Monitoring System

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In general these systems are of dubious value imho as they dont actually measure attention at all (which is a purely mental function) they measure physical posture and attempt to deduce attention from those measurements. I'm quite sure someone blankly staring into space straight ahead would be passed as "ok" by such as system whereas someone who is attentive but glancing around would be dinged.

Next step: Neuralink

It is possible to look for eye and head movements to indicate some engagement with the road. And, at least the system knows that the driver is not interacting with a cell phone.
Possibly, but does any system actually do that today?

The whole area of attention and disengagement is ephemeral anyway in the long term imho. At some point even ADAS systems are going to get good enough that you wont even WANT the driver to disengage, because the ADAS system will statistically be able to do a better job in an emergency (and far faster) than the driver.

This whole issue was hotly debated (and still is) in the airline industry as more and more "smarts" were added to the cockpit, and pilots began to get uneasy about not being in control. In the end, the pilot can ultimately override the smarts (something that was overlooked on the 737 max with disastrous consequences) .. but of course pilots go through rigorous training and certification, unlike your average car driver.

The whole area of attention and disengagement is ephemeral anyway in the long term imho. At some point even ADAS systems are going to get good enough that you wont even WANT the driver to disengage, because the ADAS system will statistically be able to do a better job in an emergency (and far faster) than the driver.

This whole issue was hotly debated (and still is) in the airline industry as more and more "smarts" were added to the cockpit, and pilots began to get uneasy about not being in control. In the end, the pilot can ultimately override the smarts (something that was overlooked on the 737 max with disastrous consequences) .. but of course pilots go through rigorous training and certification, unlike your average car driver.
Seeing Machines are the best DMS/OMS in the market, I cant believe its not in a Tesla or Musk bought it yet? GM,Mercedes,Ford,Stellantis,BMW cant all be wrong...

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
I've definitely gotten nagged when I was looking around and glancing attention. I've also had several occasions when I was looking ahead, noticed an alert only to look down and be told 'pay attention to the road!'
yeah its a bit absurd that the "pay attention" reminder is placed where you cannot see it when you ARE paying attention .. the "pulsing blue" reminder should be the first reminder, since its the most obvious one to see.

Do what? "knows that the driver is not interacting with a cell phone."?

Yes?

Teslas does if it can see the phone for example--- though the placement and FOV of the camera is poor since it was never intended as a driver monitor.

AFAIK folks with better cameras (both type and placement) like Caddy also do it-- though I'm not entirely clear if their system is recognizing the phone or the fact the driver is looking at something other than the road.

Do what? "knows that the driver is not interacting with a cell phone."?

Yes?

Teslas does if it can see the phone for example--- though the placement and FOV of the camera is poor since it was never intended as a driver monitor.

AFAIK folks with better cameras (both type and placement) like Caddy also do it-- though I'm not entirely clear if their system is recognizing the phone or the fact the driver is looking at something other than the road.
I was referring to his "interacting with the road" claim, not the "holding cell phone" stuff, which is of course significantly easier to discern. My main point was that there is of course a difference between "eyes facing the road" and "paying attention to the road".

Reactions: sleepydoc
I was referring to his "interacting with the road" claim, not the "holding cell phone" stuff, which is of course significantly easier to discern. My main point was that there is of course a difference between "eyes facing the road" and "paying attention to the road".

Sure- but either situation is likely safer than "interacting with your cell phone" so the DMS system is making the car safer.

Could it do even more? Of course. But given the interior camera was never meant to do this job at all the fact it does add some safety today is a nice example of clever adaptation by Tesla.

IIRC the refresh S/X actually has a better interior camera but haven't seen a ton of detail on it-- still it's a little surprising they didn't go with better HW and placement as others have, seems they still hope to leapfrog past the stage where you really "need" DMS and are just using the existing interior cam to satisfy the EU regs on having "a" DMS system.

All I know is driver monitoring at least for me doesn't really work at least on the highway. I can look at the display for a minute or longer and never get a warning message. Only 1 alert about 2 months ago. (note: I had a passenger watching the road while I wasn't paying attention. On the highway with FSD enabled.) Never tried this on city streets.

All I know is driver monitoring at least for me doesn't really work at least on the highway. I can look at the display for a minute or longer and never get a warning message. Only 1 alert about 2 months ago. (note: I had a passenger watching the road while I wasn't paying attention. On the highway with FSD enabled.) Never tried this on city streets.

FSDBeta isn't running when on the highway- last I knew it was primarily the beta code doing the frequent camera checks (this may have changed since last I checked though- but as of a few months ago you couldn't even use the beta if you covered the camera but could still use regular AP without it)

• Informative
Reactions: aronth5
Sure- but either situation is likely safer than "interacting with your cell phone" so the DMS system is making the car safer.

Could it do even more? Of course. But given the interior camera was never meant to do this job at all the fact it does add some safety today is a nice example of clever adaptation by Tesla.
Not going to disagree with any of that .. I was merely noting in my earlier post that the systems can detect when a driver is not paying attention, but not necessarily that the driver is paying attention. Doesnt mean they dont have value .. anything that stops idiots texting while driving is good as far as I am concerned.

Reactions: Knightshade