Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Working With Semi Customers to Build On-Site Megachargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla is working with companies that have placed the largest orders for Tesla Semis to develop and install charging stations at their facilities, according to Reuters.

According to the report, Anheuser-Busch, PepsiCo and United Parcel Service are among the companies working with Tesla on the development of the charing stations.

“The chargers, presumably Tesla’s ultra-high powered Megacharger, will be installed at key locations that are frequently traveled by the fleet operator and spaced close enough together so that Tesla’s Semi has enough range to return back to home base,” according to the report. 

Tesla will first install charging equipment at the company’s location, which would enable the trucks to run local routes before batteries are depleted, the report said. Pepsi told Reuters that it may share facilities and costs with other companies.

Tesla also plans to develop its own “truck stop” for truckers to pull up for a charge.

Tesla CEO Elon Musk touted the Megacharger technology at the Semi launch event. Musk claims said the system could add “400 miles of range to a Tesla Semi in 30 minutes.”

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Love
Reactions: Mark Z
I hope they will also make something like this possible for taxi compagnies as well, I think that in my country some taxi compagnies are big enough to buy their own superchargers for a fair price if Tesla allows them to. Even stronger, if Tesla doesn't allow the taxi drivers in my country to supercharge any more (which they seem to do so), I sadly, but genuinly doubt weather it's more profitable for them to stop driving electric and go back to diesel in the future again. This because without supercharging they have to wait so long, especially in the winter, that it's more profitable for them to throw 100 dollars away in their tank and continue driving in 10 minits, instead of slowcharging for 2 hours.

I hope they will also make something like this possible for taxi compagnies as well, I think that in my country some taxi compagnies are big enough to buy their own superchargers for a fair price if Tesla allows them to. Even stronger, if Tesla doesn't allow the taxi drivers in my country to supercharge any more (which they seem to do so), I sadly, but genuinly doubt weather it's more profitable for them to stop driving electric and go back to diesel in the future again. This because without supercharging they have to wait so long, especially in the winter, that it's more profitable for them to throw 100 dollars away in their tank and continue driving in 10 minits, instead of slowcharging for 2 hours.
From what I understand, if you order a certain number car cars, you are given the opportunity to buy your own supercharger.