Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla would not match my CarMax appraisal on M3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After being told they would, I am now told Tesla will not match CarMax appraisal. This will cost me over $2000 in additional TAVT fees (sales tax). Seems like all Tesla would have to do is take my car at CarMax appraisal on trade in then take the car to CarMax and sell it to them. I’m trading 2013 MS60 for M3. Anyone else had this problem yet?

• Informative
Reactions: diamond.g
Tesla is notorious for low-balling current owners. Your best option is to sell it privately, as you'll definitely come out well ahead of their offer. With the 3 being delayed for SR, I've noticed that more people are looking for an S now. As soon as the configurator shifted to the right by nearly a year, more potential 3 owners started looking harder at the S.

Hope it works out for you.

The CarMax here in Utah will only give a very low ball price anyhow, so you would not do well to sell it there. Much better off to clean the car up and sell it on your own. That is the only way to get a fair price on a specialty car like a Tesla.

Tesla won’t match CarMax on Tesla’s, but they used to match CarMax on everything else. Who knows what the current policy is though.

Provided your S60 is in reasonable condition, you should just sell it privately. It’s a much better solution and shouldn’t take too long!

Reactions: ℬête Noire
I agree with everyone else here.....if you were OK w/ the number that Carmax gave you, list it privately for $2K over the CarMax offer. Someone will probably jump on it at full ask price, I think you would have multiple people interested in it. The downside of this, is the work involved....I get that. Selling to CarMax or trading in is dead easy. My advice is to put in the work, make some extra money, and take the extra cash and get something nice for your new Model 3.

Reactions: Qbenjamin
Tesla is notorious for low-balling current owners. Your best option is to sell it privately, as you'll definitely come out well ahead of their offer. With the 3 being delayed for SR, I've noticed that more people are looking for an S now. As soon as the configurator shifted to the right by nearly a year, more potential 3 owners started looking harder at the S.

Hope it works out for you.

agree
they're buy back/trade in prices are ridiculous
far worse than other hi end car dealerships

Selling private party is hard, because you want to give it enough time to sell, but you also need to be willing to sell it when you're not ready.

I guess if you get a good enough offer over CarMax, you can just rent a car for a few weeks while waiting for your Model 3.

It would be a good problem to have.