Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Write-Off Advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We got in an accident (not at fault) and the insurance company is writing it off as wrecked and offering us a salvage value of 15k for this P85D.

To me the damage doesn't look extensive but the air bags were deployed in the front which is a big pain and the sensors at the front would cost a pretty penny

I know the pictures aren't that detailed, but is it worth the gamble? I think it is but I'm no expert.

On the outside only the bumper is ruined + sensors and their is a leak from the cooling system at the front. Inside is only airbag deployment.

Any advice would be so appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_1784.jpg
    IMG_1784.jpg
    660.6 KB · Views: 388
  • IMG_1785.jpg
    IMG_1785.jpg
    770.5 KB · Views: 366
At what speed was the impact? Doesn't look like it was too fast, but since the air bags deployed maybe not. Looks like a fairly easy fix, but air bags can be difficult to source. Also looks like coolant is leaking out, so that adds another layer of issues to fix.

No, just airbag deployment causing the issue. I am based in Cayman so I'd have to ship the thing over to Miami and get repaired and ship back. Hence one of the big reasons they're just going to write it off. The risk is that I won't know the actual extent of damage until it arrives. From looking at it, I mean, it just looks like cooler damage, front bumper damage, sensors and airbags...

It was about 28 mph give or take with braking. Yeah coolant leak. How big a deal is that in and of itself? The body work should be easy, it'd be the air bags, coolant, sensors and bumper fix..I gather like 15-20k damages?

Would think you could ship to mainland and part out above 15k, but no idea of cost to get to mainland. Recent discussion here concerning front end damage lists all parts Tesla says should be replaced - 13K was total with no body damage. You have interior for all deployed airbag too - which will add up fast. I guess it depends on the year, motor and options ...

Get an estimate from Tesla or someone else on what it will cost to repair. Why are you guessing?

^^ ditto. Repair shops will give you an estimate, and see if they'll stick to it.
If repair shop estimate + diminished value < 15K .. take the insurance company offer.
Otherwise, .. what is the other choice your insurance company is offering you?

However, I hate to tell you, most likely the repair cost will exceed 15K. Still, looking forward to what you find out.

Last edited:
The only way for me to get an estimate is to send it to mainland (costs about 2-2.5k each way). I haven't yet signed the offer so I could just take the buyout and let them keep the car. I figured from the looks of it that the damage was minimal but I did see that 48k case before which worries me.

As well, the settlement value is based on KBB and some other source (the average of)..so the value compared to what it'd actually cost to get a similar used one is about 8k less. So no matter what I end up losing about 8k plus costs of import w/ the full settlement value. Annoying when the accident was from someone else's negligence.

I don't have any body damage except for the front bumper and its electronics. The side skirts and side body are all perfect. That's one difference from the pictures above. Buddy, do you have an invoice of where the costs were that you'd share or maybe just a brief break down of where the major costs are?

Minor damage...sort of.

Almost everything on the front end took some form of damage, enough to require replacement.

Headlights, bumper, fenders, hood, windshield, etc.

Then of course the 4 interior airbags with their associated parts. (Panels, sensors, etc).

It added up quick.