Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla X Charging Source

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live in the heart of hurricane ally Fort Lauderdale , lost power for 6 weeks back in 2005 and live in a condo where gas powered generators are not allowed. I just tested out charging my Model X from my solar powered electric Duffey 21, boat. It has a .75kw solar array charging a 48V 200w-hr battery bank. I took a 4000 w inverter w 230vac pure sine wave output and connected it to my Tesla charger, and it worked flawless. Though not enough to recharge the 75kw Tesla in one shot, I can do it over several days to at least give me local travel. It’s a good feeling to have a back up at least. Has anyone connected solar for direct recharging?

Is solar + Powerwalls on the condo an option? That would provide 14 Kw at a max draw of 5 kW per PW. Tesla has some very aggressive pricing on their solar packages.

I charge my X from the solar and Powerwall. With the solar and powerwalls I can charge at 10kW with no problem. Also, this setup helps to ensure my home is powered during outages.

I charge my X from the solar and Powerwall. With the solar and powerwalls I can charge at 10kW with no problem. Also, this setup helps to ensure my home is powered during outages.

I am about to get a solar array installed, but I'm a super energy miser for the environment (one of the reasons I bought an EV). Had considered getting a battery but was thinking a battery wouldn't charge my MX at the standard rate at which it charges at my house now which is 30 kW - roughly 10% of the car's range per hour of charging. From what I understand, you're saying in the absence of power from the grid, your power wall and solar together will only charge the car at a rate of 10kW, which I would conclude would charge my car at about 3.3% of the car's range per hour. Thanks for that piece of info. I thought as much but didn't know. At this point, for exactly this reason (and because of the current price point of solar batteries), I'm opting to go sans battery and just use the local electricity provider to charge my car at night, and with net metering, I'll get the cost of that back during the day when I'm pumping energy back onto the grid.

• Disagree
Reactions: wreighven
I am about to get a solar array installed, but I'm a super energy miser for the environment (one of the reasons I bought an EV). Had considered getting a battery but was thinking a battery wouldn't charge my MX at the standard rate at which it charges at my house now which is 30 kW - roughly 10% of the car's range per hour of charging. From what I understand, you're saying in the absence of power from the grid, your power wall and solar together will only charge the car at a rate of 10kW, which I would conclude would charge my car at about 3.3% of the car's range per hour. Thanks for that piece of info. I thought as much but didn't know. At this point, for exactly this reason (and because of the current price point of solar batteries), I'm opting to go sans battery and just use the local electricity provider to charge my car at night, and with net metering, I'll get the cost of that back during the day when I'm pumping energy back onto the grid.
How are you getting a 30kW charge rate? Are you sure that’s not a mistake? I get about an 11.8kW charge rate with a Gen3 wall charger on a dedicated 240v / 60 amp circuit (drawing 48a and about 245v). That equates to about an 11% / 38mph range recovery rate for me, FYI, which is why I think your 30kW / 10% range number is off...

Last edited:
Yep, mistake. It's 30 amps, not 30 kW. Apologize, I'm not so good with electricity. But it's still about 10% of the car's range per hour. Seems it takes about 2.5 hours to go from around 50% to 75%. And it's a dedicated 50amp circuit running from the power on the grid. Just checked the numbers. I only use the charger that came with the car. When I plug it in, the car defaults to the 30 amp rate of charge, which is 7kW. If I kick it up to 40 amps (the highest the cable will allow), it goes to 10kW. Sorry for the mistake. If you charge your car at night, will the power wall charge the car at a rate of 10 or higher kW and still have enough energy left in it to run your home A/C, refrig, freezer, TV, etc?

Reactions: wreighven