Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla X dead, charger stuck, doors won't open

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The car is currently stored long term in a garage. It was plugged in, but the breakers were turned off in a storm. They remained off for some weeks. The car subsequently died, and I couldn't get in next time I tried. I turned the breakers back on, the cable lights up, car doesn't get a charge. The charger won't unlock from the car. Doors won't open, so I can't access the manual latch release.

Please help!

I can get one. I'll Google where to find that battery.

What's this vampire drain?

What can I expect tesla to do?

Little background: It was my father's car and he passed away late last year. So it's been sitting while we try to get rid of it. I don't really know anything about this car.

Not sure if the X has the access plug in front that allows you into the frunk like the M3 has. If so you could charge the 12V up enough to get in. Check the manual online.
There're two cords under the tow hook cover labelled A and B or 1 and 2, they need to be pulled in the order labelled. Then the plastic cover at the top of the frunk needs to be removed, then the fuse box cover. The positive 12V terminal is under it.

Vampire drain is the discharge of a battery while "at rest" due to small draws against it. It can add up over the course of weeks, and the charge on the main pack can get below safe levels. Tesla may be able to charge it for you.

But I would stick with the 12V for now, as that's the most likely issue and something you can handle yourself.

Agree with above. The 12v is likely dead. Once the 12v goes low the main pack gets isolated. I think the main pack is fine. It should not go into deep discharge w/ the pack isolated.

A trickle should bring it back to life, but depending on how long it was dead it may need to be replaced. Common problem when storing any car.

Last edited:

Little background: It was my father's car and he passed away late last year. So it's been sitting while we try to get rid of it. I don't really know anything about this car.
@Jobra Cmdr, you need to do some reading before you try other things.
Owner’s Manual Companion | TeslaTap

Sorry about your father’s passing.

If you are trying to get rid of it, I have heard good things about Carvana. You send some pictures, they give an offer, then come up and pick up your car. Vroom is another similar option. And CarMax is always available, too.

Good luck getting it started!

• Informative
Reactions: boaterva and brkaus
Sorry about your father’s passing.

If you are trying to get rid of it, I have heard good things about Carvana. You send some pictures, they give an offer, then come up and pick up your car. Vroom is another similar option. And CarMax is always available, too.

Good luck getting it started!

Thank you. I reached out to Caravana, crossing my fingers.

There're two cords under the tow hook cover labelled A and B or 1 and 2, they need to be pulled in the order labelled. Then the plastic cover at the top of the frunk needs to be removed, then the fuse box cover. The positive 12V terminal is under it.

This solved my problem!

Getting the frunk open was easy, although one of the cords had gotten lodged out of the way.

The battery charger wouldn't work on the 12v from the easy access terminals. I had to take apart the tesla to get to it. Easiest car I've ever worked on. Connected straight to the battery, the charger activated for all of a second before the main battery came back to life and the wall power started charging the 12v.

Thank you all forfor the help!

Any followup information on the dead battery? We you able to charge the main battery and get the car running again? Was there any battery damage?
Mike P

Jumping the 12v with a charger got the main battery to come back to life. Wall charging started working again to the main battery, and the 12v was subsequently charged that way.

I got the car out and to another location, I haven't heard of any issues, but no one is driving it.

How would I know about battery damage?

Reactions: dmurphy
How much range did the car say that it had when you first started charging it? What was the range when it finished charging? If it was saying 0 after you got the 12V back on line then there is a worry that the main pack discharged completely. Lithium ion batteries do not like to sit at very low charge for long periods.

How much range did the car say that it had when you first started charging it? What was the range when it finished charging? If it was saying 0 after you got the 12V back on line then there is a worry that the main pack discharged completely. Lithium ion batteries do not like to sit at very low charge for long periods.

There's a reserve at the bottom of the battery; given how quickly it came roaring back once there was 12V applied, I'd be wholly unconcerned with the battery health.

@Jobra Cmdr - Deepest condolences on your father's passing.

That said, at least once before you make a final decision on the car's disposition, may I suggest you take it out for a good, hearty test drive? Punch the accelerator and let it fly... it's a fun car to drive. Might change your feeling on its fate ....

I don't recall exactly, I think it was very low though.