Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla X going crazy

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Had model x brand new just under 2 weeks. This afternoon, battery over 50%, while parked at someone drive, i get a knock on the door to say that the car keeps locking and unlocking with the side mirrors folding then unfolding.

I get inside the car and the screen going crazy with various hazard signs coming up. Unable to put the gear onto reverse or drive.

Tried soft reset then hard reset. Both failed.

On the phone with tesla waiting. Really crazy morning. Completely unexpected.

Are you running any Apps? If so try changing password on your account.

Do you have Sentry USB drive? Try unplugging and reboot.

Did you try power down? I find it does not work good. As crazy as it sounds try changing wheel size in service menu then back. That forces a “deep” reboot.

These are just while guesses.

Good luck and keep us posted.

My wife had to deal with it while i was at work speaking to my wife and Tesla on two different lines.
Sentry usb didn't make a difference.
They asked to do both types of reset. The craziness stopped after reset but the hazard warnings are still jumping very quickly. The car remains undrivable.
Tesla is arranging for it to be collected and sent to their Heathrow service centre. A local car rental called to drop a replacement car.
I am really upset and also worried about the car's reliability now. It was our first electric car following years of driving diesel cars.

• Disagree
Reactions: wreighven
My wife had to deal with it while i was at work speaking to my wife and Tesla on two different lines.
Sentry usb didn't make a difference.
They asked to do both types of reset. The craziness stopped after reset but the hazard warnings are still jumping very quickly. The car remains undrivable.
Tesla is arranging for it to be collected and sent to their Heathrow service centre. A local car rental called to drop a replacement car.
I am really upset and also worried about the car's reliability now. It was our first electric car following years of driving diesel cars.

That sounds terrible, but I wouldn't write off electric power trains as a whole because what seems to be a software glitch on a single vehicle. Based on the limited information we have, it seems like this is something wrong with the MCU and nothing related to the actual car bits. Hopefully this can be fixed by a simple swap out of the MCU.

Reactions: wreighven
That sounds terrible, but I wouldn't write off electric power trains as a whole because what seems to be a software glitch on a single vehicle. Based on the limited information we have, it seems like this is something wrong with the MCU and nothing related to the actual car bits. Hopefully this can be fixed by a simple swap out of the MCU.

Could be a 100 things. Bad cable, bad sensor, software glitch, power issues etc.

I had a lot of issues with my model X in the first 6 months I had it. I first hand know the discouragement you feel. We went as far as to also purchase a Volvo in that time frame, as I felt that I needed to become familiar with other brands that were saying they were committed to electrification. We stuck it out with the model X and are coming up on our 3rd anniversary with the car. It has become mostly trouble free, with the glitches now being minor things like a trim piece needing to be adjusted. So many bad stories about service, but I have had positive experiences, and what appeared to be a lemon car has turned out to be quite good. I wish you well and a similar outcome.

Make sure only one key FOB is in play. I had a similar issue of locking/unlocking, mirrors folding at random etc. It turned out it was because I was keeping the unused FOB too close to the vehicle, and it would occasionally detect that FOB and open up the car. I moved unused FOB location to another room, away from garage, and all is well.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Make sure only one key FOB is in play. I had a similar issue of locking/unlocking, mirrors folding at random etc. It turned out it was because I was keeping the unused FOB too close to the vehicle, and it would occasionally detect that FOB and open up the car. I moved unused FOB location to another room, away from garage, and all is well.
There was only one keyfob at the time as my wife was out, parked at a friend's house.

The problem is so serious that by the time the recovery car arrived (2hr) later, the screen was black and unresponsive. The guy couldn't even open the front trunk without power. He eventually tried twice to discharge 12v via a battery charger into the body of the car to make it wake up. It took them from 2pm to 6pm to load it onto their towing vehicle.
The problem appears serious enough for Tesla to pay for a taxi for my wife to go home and to pay for a local car hire to bring a replacement (Mercedes C class) to use meanwhile.
The car stayed overnight at the recovery company depot and arrived at Tesla service centre after midday today.
I am still waiting to hear what the problem actually is.

Thanks for the update of the issue. Sounds like it was a total shut down of all systems, perhaps a failure of the 12 Volt battery. Clearly they will need to get to the bottom of this with a clear explanation of what happened and what failed. Please keep all updated!

Poltergeists? :)

More likely something with the 12volt system. I had my car strand me in a parking lot a week after I got it. It would not go into gear. The fix was to open the frunk, disconnect the 1st responder wire, wait a minute, and then reconnect the wire.

Tesla texted this afternoon asking me to collect the car. No explanation.

Called them 3 times asking for information but no one explains.
Eventually they called back to say they have not found anything wrong with it!

I was speechless. I am already feeling very worried about the car failing again except next time in the middle of no where.
The only thing the agent who called me said is that they calibrated the charging port for you. When i asked what does that mean and would that have caused the car to shut down, she said she doesn't know as she is not technical.

Has anyone heard about charging calibration?

Further update.
Following my request to explain how can everything was fine and they couldn't find any faults, this their text

"Following our phonecall, I spoke with the technician who said it seems to have been a firmware bug, hence why we have reinstalled firmware. At the moment there is not much else we can do apart from have you monitor the car once you have it back. As mentioned, it was fine while it was here. Kind Regards, Tesla Service."

I do not know what to believe. Anyone with any thoughts?

Further update.
Following my request to explain how can everything was fine and they couldn't find any faults, this their text

"Following our phonecall, I spoke with the technician who said it seems to have been a firmware bug, hence why we have reinstalled firmware. At the moment there is not much else we can do apart from have you monitor the car once you have it back. As mentioned, it was fine while it was here. Kind Regards, Tesla Service."

I do not know what to believe. Anyone with any thoughts?

Unfortunately, there's nothing really much to go with other than what they say... If they say they didn't see any issue and it was a firmware problem, you're probably going to have to accept that. It's a common "fix" for many of their problems - firmware reinstall or patch. I just had to have a custom patch deployed to my X a few days ago because none of the intense games would work, all stating "waiting for update" for the past week or so - opened a ticket, and a couple days later I get a call from the service center saying they're deploying a patch for my car.

Unless you had pieces of your vehicle falling off, then, that's the Tesla world...