TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Tesla X HEPA Filter retrofit

Discussion in 'Model X' started by Sc0rPs, Apr 10, 2018.

1. Sc0rPs

Sc0rPs Member

Curious if anyone can shed some light, I have a new Tesla X without bio mode. As I seen in some previous threads & videos it was possible to just order and install the HEPA filter.

I was in the process of doing so, but the Tesla parts representative claimed it was no longer possible to retrofit on the newer model X?

2. GWord

GWord Member

Tesla will no longer install the filter and enable the bio button. Sometimes when you ask for the filter for your car they misinterpret what you are actually asking for. Next time consider bringing the part number and asking for that instead (that is, assuming you will do the install).

3. Sc0rPs

Sc0rPs Member

I was planning to do the install myself, it is pretty straight forward. It just didn't make sense that the non-bio X & bio X would actually have incompatible parts. I think your correct, they must be thinking I want the bio-hazard upgrade.

4. outie

outie Active Member

They are still compatible. I just put one in my 2018.

5. GWord

GWord Member

I had a hard time convincing them that I wasn't asking for the upgrade. I finally got through when I just came in with a part number on a post-it and asked them to order "this".

6. Sc0rPs

Sc0rPs Member

Does anyone have the particular part number handy?

7. NHK X

NHK X Member

And the cost paid for the filter as well.

8. Sc0rPs

Sc0rPs Member

Did a little digging:

Part number is: FILTER,HEPA,MDL X (1045566-00-G)
    $175 US or $266 CAD

• Informative x 1
  9. NHK X

NHK X Member

Excellent, thanks!

10. thisisnew

thisisnew Member

Has anyone purchased the part? Service said it would be $200USD, but requires other parts to secure the filter in place. From what I read and videos, not sure if these additional "parts" are needed to secure the filter in place. Please let us know if the filter itself good enough. Thanks.

• Disagree x 1
  11. GWord

GWord Member

The part I’m familiar with is just a replacement air box with the filter glued in place. Super easy to replace and it just pops into place. Not sure if you can get the filter by itself but if you can, it is even easier to put in place.

12. Krazaak

Krazaak Member

$175 US for the part, plus any applicable taxes. 15-30 minutes to install, no additional parts needed. You will not get the bioweapon button, but all outside air comes in through the filter.

13. thisisnew

thisisnew Member

Thank you both, going to place the order tomorrow!

14. Terthen

Terthen Member

Filter itself is good enough. It comes in the full housing and you just unscrew everything, take out the old one and pop in new one in the entire housing .I am not at all familiar with cars but I was able to do it in about an hour . No other parts required! The hard part was getting an SC to sell me the part.

15. jab1617

jab1617 New Member

How long is the recommended replacement schedule for the air filter. We have a Model X 75D with Bio Defense.

16. Rogster

Rogster Member

What is the use of the bioweapon button ?

17. Peteski

Peteski Active Member

As a very quick way of refreshing the cabin if you are driving through smog, farming smells etc. I rarely use it but it is effective. It's too noisy to use all the time though.

18. Jays200

Jays200 Member

Check out my video on the retrofit. There is a short part 2 as well.

• Informative x 4
    • Like x 3
    • Disagree x 1
  19. mxnym

mxnym Member

I'm pretty sure bioweapon defense mode also includes a bed of carbon. Just having a HEPA filter is great for particles, but isn't going to help with odors. Is this carbon built onto the HEPA filter, or is there a separate canister that everyone self-installing has been missing?

20. Jays200

Jays200 Member

There is carbon in the HEPA and carbon in the in cab filter behind the glove box. I've yet to make a video on removing the in cabin filter but I have had it out before.