Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla X HEPA Filter retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Curious if anyone can shed some light, I have a new Tesla X without bio mode. As I seen in some previous threads & videos it was possible to just order and install the HEPA filter.

I was in the process of doing so, but the Tesla parts representative claimed it was no longer possible to retrofit on the newer model X?

Tesla will no longer install the filter and enable the bio button. Sometimes when you ask for the filter for your car they misinterpret what you are actually asking for. Next time consider bringing the part number and asking for that instead (that is, assuming you will do the install).

I was planning to do the install myself, it is pretty straight forward. It just didn't make sense that the non-bio X & bio X would actually have incompatible parts. I think your correct, they must be thinking I want the bio-hazard upgrade.

Has anyone purchased the part? Service said it would be $200USD, but requires other parts to secure the filter in place. From what I read and videos, not sure if these additional "parts" are needed to secure the filter in place. Please let us know if the filter itself good enough. Thanks.

• Disagree
Reactions: scsmx
Has anyone purchased the part? Service said it would be $200USD, but requires other parts to secure the filter in place. From what I read and videos, not sure if these additional "parts" are needed to secure the filter in place. Please let us know if the filter itself good enough. Thanks.

The part I’m familiar with is just a replacement air box with the filter glued in place. Super easy to replace and it just pops into place. Not sure if you can get the filter by itself but if you can, it is even easier to put in place.

$175 US for the part, plus any applicable taxes. 15-30 minutes to install, no additional parts needed. You will not get the bioweapon button, but all outside air comes in through the filter.

Filter itself is good enough. It comes in the full housing and you just unscrew everything, take out the old one and pop in new one in the entire housing .I am not at all familiar with cars but I was able to do it in about an hour . No other parts required! The hard part was getting an SC to sell me the part.

I'm pretty sure bioweapon defense mode also includes a bed of carbon. Just having a HEPA filter is great for particles, but isn't going to help with odors. Is this carbon built onto the HEPA filter, or is there a separate canister that everyone self-installing has been missing?