Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla X HEPA Filter retrofit

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Asked service center about this a few days ago. Said he researched it and the official word is that installing the HEPA filter will not be effective unless the software is also added. Recommended against just installing the filter.

Believe at sometime in the future they will make adding the filter and software available as a package.

I personally disagree with this based on how the car seems to be setup. Of course it’s the word of a bunch of forum members vs the Tesla SC. My SC told me this once, I talked to Parts member and they were happy to sell me the part and I installed it. Personally I think it is working but I have no validation, at any rate it at least can’t hurt.

I'm pretty sure bioweapon defense mode also includes a bed of carbon. Just having a HEPA filter is great for particles, but isn't going to help with odors. Is this carbon built onto the HEPA filter, or is there a separate canister that everyone self-installing has been missing?

Lol my dude. I’m sure “biodefense” button is nothing but a gimmick. You want fresh air? Frank thank baby to fresh, and to high speed and take a deep breath. The installation video by @Jays200 was so satifying!

Asked service center about this a few days ago. Said he researched it and the official word is that installing the HEPA filter will not be effective unless the software is also added. Recommended against just installing the filter.

Believe at sometime in the future they will make adding the filter and software available as a package.

Nonsense, I did get the actual HEPA ordered/installed and is working as expected. NOTHING smelly from the outside ever makes it inside, and 'Bio-Defense' option is nothing but selecting vents cranked to maximum. It pushes so much air in through vents it can only escape through non-air tight spots in the cabin. So when your area has a bio hazard just make sure to roll up those windows, switch your options to use vents and max it... unless you bought from Amazon :p.

Reactions: Terthen
A ranger is appearing at my house tomorrow to replace the accessory battery (which is giving out warnings). I thought it would be a good time to put in the HEPA filter in my non-pup model X. I asked a Tesla employee to sell me the filter so I could put it in, and he refused, saying it was not needed without the bio-defense mode. Yes, I asked only for the filter. Rather than argue with him, I purchased an after-market filter on Amazon. The folks who sell it sent me a video at my request about how to add the filter to the vehicle. Here, with their permission, is the youtube url:
. I plan to put the filter in tomorrow.

• Informative
Reactions: K3Man
I’ve talked to a lot of different service people and mobile rangers over the past few weeks as they were fixing the passenger side window in the FWD (didn’t go up anymore).

No one wants to sell me the part on the grounds it’s useless without a firmware upgrade, which they don’t do.

The (consistent ) explaination from them is that a firmware upgrade is required to actually get the air routed through the filter as it is only activated with the firmware upgrade.

The story went so far as to claim that there are lot of users with PUP “that don’t even use the filter, because they don’t want to be bothered to replace it”.

I find this very unlikely and keep pushing but am unable to get the job done in Palo Alto, CA.

• Disagree
Reactions: derkan and Jays200
I’ve talked to a lot of different service people and mobile rangers over the past few weeks as they were fixing the passenger side window in the FWD (didn’t go up anymore).

No one wants to sell me the part on the grounds it’s useless without a firmware upgrade, which they don’t do.

The (consistent ) explaination from them is that a firmware upgrade is required to actually get the air routed through the filter as it is only activated with the firmware upgrade.

The story went so far as to claim that there are lot of users with PUP “that don’t even use the filter, because they don’t want to be bothered to replace it”.

I find this very unlikely and keep pushing but am unable to get the job done in Palo Alto, CA.

It is obvious once you watch the afore noted You Tube of filter installation or pull out the trunk liner yourself that adding the filter, after market or from Tesla, that all incoming air will be routed through it. The filter housing is there and air can only get into the AC control system via that air route, filter or no filter. The firmware upgrade control the fan speed and maybe some vents but the air still only comes into the cabin via the route with the filter housing. No way around it. So if you want HEPA filtering, get the filter and install it. It is easy.

Well, I finally got to the filter today. I watched the video above before installing it, had trouble with getting the wires detached from the frunk lights (my wife figured it out), used the 10 mm sockets to get the bolts out, and cleaned, cleaned, cleaned the area below the windshield wipers from years of crap like pine needles after removing the top and side panels. The filter went in rather quickly after that, and I was able to button it all up again. Really easy to do by the way. I agree with skip8jj that this is an easy way to get the HEPA filtering done.

Is the difference really just the filter? I swear I crank the fan to 10 and fresh air, with windows close, I still smell a small trace of the fire.

I have the Tesla oem filter
Well, a HEPA filter is a particulate filter, which can help with certain odors, but most premium cars also have also have activated charcoal filters for odor reduction. I've never seen a good how-to on checking and/or replacing cabin filters. I guess the part catalogue would be a good place to check.

Looks like there's a carbon filter, 1039042-00-B, but the diagram doesn't make it clear how to access it.

EDIT: Found a video, I'll pop mine open later and see if a non-PUP car has the carbon filter.

Yes, the carbon filter was always listed as a separate item in the PUP. It actually stated in the PUP description that there are double carbon filters, but not clear if these are combined into a single part or not. This hardly ever gets mentioned in filter upgrade threads. So a complete upgrade would include the carbon filters alongside the big HEPA filter.

Yes, the carbon filter was always listed as a separate item in the PUP. It actually stated in the PUP description that there are double carbon filters, but not clear if these are combined into a single part or not. This hardly ever gets mentioned in filter upgrade threads. So a complete upgrade would include the carbon filters alongside the big HEPA filter.

Well, with the parts catalog available, I think it's safe to say that there are only two filters present in the car, the cabin filter and the HEPA filter that comes with PUP. After watching that video, I'm not going to open up the cabin filter, but I find it highly likely that it is present on both PUP and non-PUP vehicles. Since there's only 1 part number for the cabin filter and 2 part numbers for the HEPA and non-HEPA filter housing, it seems highly likely that adding the HEPA filter gets you all of the hardware required for Bio Mode.

There's also no question in my mind that any Tesla rep who's said the HEPA filter doesn't help on a non-PUP vehicle is completely incorrect. There's only 1 fresh air intake visible for the HVAC system and it all passes through the shroud behind the frunk tub. If you have PUP, the air is filtered first by the HEPA and then the charcoal cabin filter. If you don't have PUP, it passes unfiltered through the shroud and then through the cabin filter.

Well, with the parts catalog available, I think it's safe to say that there are only two filters present in the car, the cabin filter and the HEPA filter that comes with PUP. After watching that video, I'm not going to open up the cabin filter, but I find it highly likely that it is present on both PUP and non-PUP vehicles. Since there's only 1 part number for the cabin filter and 2 part numbers for the HEPA and non-HEPA filter housing, it seems highly likely that adding the HEPA filter gets you all of the hardware required for Bio Mode.

There's also no question in my mind that any Tesla rep who's said the HEPA filter doesn't help on a non-PUP vehicle is completely incorrect. There's only 1 fresh air intake visible for the HVAC system and it all passes through the shroud behind the frunk tub. If you have PUP, the air is filtered first by the HEPA and then the charcoal cabin filter. If you don't have PUP, it passes unfiltered through the shroud and then through the cabin filter.

You could well be right. In which case the PUP description was fraudulent as it specifically stated that the carbon filter was part of the upgrade package.

So....after skimming through 5 pages of - this works, this doesn't work, needs software, no it doesn't, yes it does, my dad is stronger than your dad.

Has anyone (in say the CA area) done an air quality test of before and after? Based on the thread, a video like that might generate enough revenue to cover the cost of one of those meters and the filter...

• Funny
Reactions: JimVandegriff