Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla x Konig Model Y Chains Destroyed My Rims...Need Some Advice

frankvb

Supporting Member
Feb 29, 2020
San Diego, CA
I think for many AWD is usually considered a sufficient bar of driving in the snow. I've noticed e.g. in the Sierra Nevadas in California, the only question the transport authorities ever ask at checkpoints is whether I have AWD, never any questions about snow chains or winter tires - even though the regulations say AWD + snow tires or chains, no in-between.
Yes CA has interesting requirements. If you have AWD with M+S tires you can drive without chains with level 2 restrictions, there is no 'snowflake' winter tire requirement. Though you always have to carry chains. Most proper winter states have more stringent requirements.

Stacyopolis

Tesla Newbie
Jun 4, 2021
Big Bear, CA
I have heard the stock winter tires are no bueno! I live in Big Bear Lake, CA so this thread has been fun reading! We have been popular this year :)
I order MY LR AWD and I will see how it goes. We always have AWD and don't use chains. Still two months to delivery.

Reactions: cancoi

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC