Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla x Konig Model Y Chains Destroyed My Rims...Need Some Advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think for many AWD is usually considered a sufficient bar of driving in the snow. I've noticed e.g. in the Sierra Nevadas in California, the only question the transport authorities ever ask at checkpoints is whether I have AWD, never any questions about snow chains or winter tires - even though the regulations say AWD + snow tires or chains, no in-between.
Yes CA has interesting requirements. If you have AWD with M+S tires you can drive without chains with level 2 restrictions, there is no 'snowflake' winter tire requirement. Though you always have to carry chains. Most proper winter states have more stringent requirements.

Has anyone tried the K-Summit XL - Size K55 tire chains on a MY with 255/40R20 tires?

They seem to fit based on tire profile and should have a small profile?

If instead you’ve used the König XG-12 Pro 252, did they scratch your rims?

Thank you!

The best answer is get a set of dedicated winter tires and don't muck around with chains.

I will not ever go back to:
  1. Struggling with getting chains installed on a dark, cold, wet and sloppy shoulder,
  2. Guessing wrong that it was the right time to take them off coming out of the mountain passes. (and having to do #1 again)
  3. Hearing them chew up the partially snow covered, partially bare wet roads (and my tires) during the transition from snow to rain.
  4. Worried they were going to break and either maul the wheels /front fender/rocker panel as they flung off OR
  5. Get wrapped up in whatever front suspension components they snagged on and cause non-cosmetic damage.
You may say none of these things will happen, and maybe you're right and your luck and timing are better than mine. But you spent a considerable amount of money on a vehicle, spend the extra few thousand dollars and equip it properly.

Reactions: SWIPE and TheLex
The best answer is get a set of dedicated winter tires and don't muck around with chains.

I will not ever go back to:
  1. Struggling with getting chains installed on a dark, cold, wet and sloppy shoulder,
  2. Guessing wrong that it was the right time to take them off coming out of the mountain passes. (and having to do #1 again)
  3. Hearing them chew up the partially snow covered, partially bare wet roads (and my tires) during the transition from snow to rain.
  4. Worried they were going to break and either maul the wheels /front fender/rocker panel as they flung off OR
  5. Get wrapped up in whatever front suspension components they snagged on and cause non-cosmetic damage.
You may say none of these things will happen, and maybe you're right and your luck and timing are better than mine. But you spent a considerable amount of money on a vehicle, spend the extra few thousand dollars and equip it properly.
This. A thousand times this!!! Chains are a PITA. Used them in my youth and I swore never again. If you're going up to snow country, at the very minimum get 3PMSF tires. M&S tires like the ones on trucks might be good for fluffy deepish snow, but they're no bueno for the hard pack on Lake Tahoe roads. In those situations you need at a minimum the 3PMSF tires with lots of sipes on the treads. Better yet, invest in a second set of wheels and dedicated snow tires if you're up there every weekend. Driving in snow country messes up your paint and your wheels. Might as well get some cheapie wheels with dedicated snows.

Reactions: Corndart
Is there a final verdict on what the best set of chains are for Model Y with 20" induction rims (i.e., ones that don't leave scratch marks like the photos posted earlier in this thread)?
Are there other chains/cables that do not scratch the 20” induction wheels?
Chains won't work w/o damaging wheels with protruding or exposed spokes like the ubertines/inductions. The only thing to get in a pinch are tire socks or as suggested a true winter wheel/tire package.

Are there other chains/cables that do not scratch the 20” induction wheels?
Maybe these can work with 20” wheels too?

After going through many threads here and seeing several people’s experience with the Konigs causing damage, I decided to try these Peerless chains, and they definitely fit the 20” induction wheels with stock Goodyear tires. They don’t seem like they will cause damage based on where they are sitting, but I also have Rim guard on them. Just an FYI.

Peerless 0231805 Auto-Trac Light Truck/SUV Tire Traction Chain - Set of 2 https://a.co/d/c72Bqyw 78A61C62-7579-4863-B756-8E6540E6A204.jpeg

Reactions: boulder.dude
Chains are terrible. Just don’t use them, ever, if you can avoid it. So many horror stories of the damage they cause, on pretty much any car.
Even with AWD + dedicated snow tires, chains continue to give me grief 😭

A broken tire chain link got embedded in one of my tires as I was driving over the I-80 in California to Reno, NV. I was lucky enough to be within 3-5 miles of downtown Reno when I noticed my tire air pressure dropping rapidly.

embedded-tire-chain.jpg

It cost me $400 to get the tire replaced (couldn't be patched) - didn't have many other options being an out-of-towner.

Coming in hot here.

I've recently been up to the Tahoe area during the last few rounds of weather and found the need to install the chains that are available on the Tesla website and recommended for the Model Y 20" induction wheels. Which for whatever reason, can still be purchased here: (https://shop.tesla.com/product/model-y-19_20_-snow-chains)

The chains were installed correctly and speed guidelines adhered to.

Even so, they did a ton of damage to my wheels.

Tesla takes no responsibility (claims they aren't responsible for 3rd party accessory damage) and there is no response from Konig. I have requested a refund from the Tesla shop on the chains which is pending.

Attached is a picture of the wheel and the chains that caused the damage in clear view.

In the shop link above you can clearly see that the chains do come in contact with the wheel which was a red flag, but I assumed that the wear buttons would handle that. Nope...

DO NOT USE THESE CHAINS. RETURN THEM IF YOU HAVE PURCHASED THEM!!

IMG_3997.jpg

• Informative
Reactions: boulder.dude