Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla x Konig Model Y Chains Destroyed My Rims...Need Some Advice

I think for many AWD is usually considered a sufficient bar of driving in the snow. I've noticed e.g. in the Sierra Nevadas in California, the only question the transport authorities ever ask at checkpoints is whether I have AWD, never any questions about snow chains or winter tires - even though the regulations say AWD + snow tires or chains, no in-between.
Yes CA has interesting requirements. If you have AWD with M+S tires you can drive without chains with level 2 restrictions, there is no 'snowflake' winter tire requirement. Though you always have to carry chains. Most proper winter states have more stringent requirements.

The best answer is get a set of dedicated winter tires and don't muck around with chains.

I will not ever go back to:
  1. Struggling with getting chains installed on a dark, cold, wet and sloppy shoulder,
  2. Guessing wrong that it was the right time to take them off coming out of the mountain passes. (and having to do #1 again)
  3. Hearing them chew up the partially snow covered, partially bare wet roads (and my tires) during the transition from snow to rain.
  4. Worried they were going to break and either maul the wheels /front fender/rocker panel as they flung off OR
  5. Get wrapped up in whatever front suspension components they snagged on and cause non-cosmetic damage.
You may say none of these things will happen, and maybe you're right and your luck and timing are better than mine. But you spent a considerable amount of money on a vehicle, spend the extra few thousand dollars and equip it properly.

Reactions: SWIPE and TheLex
The best answer is get a set of dedicated winter tires and don't muck around with chains.

I will not ever go back to:
  1. Struggling with getting chains installed on a dark, cold, wet and sloppy shoulder,
  2. Guessing wrong that it was the right time to take them off coming out of the mountain passes. (and having to do #1 again)
  3. Hearing them chew up the partially snow covered, partially bare wet roads (and my tires) during the transition from snow to rain.
  4. Worried they were going to break and either maul the wheels /front fender/rocker panel as they flung off OR
  5. Get wrapped up in whatever front suspension components they snagged on and cause non-cosmetic damage.
You may say none of these things will happen, and maybe you're right and your luck and timing are better than mine. But you spent a considerable amount of money on a vehicle, spend the extra few thousand dollars and equip it properly.
This. A thousand times this!!! Chains are a PITA. Used them in my youth and I swore never again. If you're going up to snow country, at the very minimum get 3PMSF tires. M&S tires like the ones on trucks might be good for fluffy deepish snow, but they're no bueno for the hard pack on Lake Tahoe roads. In those situations you need at a minimum the 3PMSF tires with lots of sipes on the treads. Better yet, invest in a second set of wheels and dedicated snow tires if you're up there every weekend. Driving in snow country messes up your paint and your wheels. Might as well get some cheapie wheels with dedicated snows.

Reactions: Corndart

thesmokingman

Jun 21, 2021
Socal
Is there a final verdict on what the best set of chains are for Model Y with 20" induction rims (i.e., ones that don't leave scratch marks like the photos posted earlier in this thread)?
Are there other chains/cables that do not scratch the 20” induction wheels?
Chains won't work w/o damaging wheels with protruding or exposed spokes like the ubertines/inductions. The only thing to get in a pinch are tire socks or as suggested a true winter wheel/tire package.

Are there other chains/cables that do not scratch the 20” induction wheels?
Maybe these can work with 20” wheels too?

Chains won't work w/o damaging wheels with protruding or exposed spokes like the ubertines/inductions. The only thing to get in a pinch are tire socks or as suggested a true winter wheel/tire package.
Helpful, thank you. My time/frequency in the snow doesn't justify dedicated snow tires. Will give the socks a try. Just bought these: Amazon.com

Products we're discussing on TMC...

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC