Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla x Konig Model Y Chains Destroyed My Rims...Need Some Advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First time poster coming in hot....hoping to get some advice from everyone!

I have a 2021 Tesla Y with the black 20’’ Induction Wheels. I bought the Konig Model Y 19"/20" Snow Chains that Tesla sells on their web shop for a trip up to Big Bear, CA. I have put on plenty of snow chains on in my time and installed them exactly as directed, the final fitting looking exactly like the image on the Tesla web shop (i.e. the plastic chain 'protectors' sitting over the outer edge of the rims). After driving in a few inches of snow for around an hour I removed the chains and noticed that they chains/plastic protectors rubbed the hell out of my black rims

IMG_1465.jpg

I tried a small amount of residue remover to see if the issue was simply surface level, but the scratches were too deep to be removed. I set up a service appointment with Tesla but have no idea how likely they are to take accountability for the issue and to potentially repaint or replace the wheels. Does anyone have experience with anything like this with Tesla?

At minimum, I wanted to let others on the forum know that these snow chains are likely to cause issues if you have black rims. Thank you ahead of time for your advice!

I just posted about the same issue. Also went to Big Bear this past weekend and had purchased the snow chains off Tesla’s web store for my 20” induction wheels. My rims now look like this. B55A0D9D-6064-4429-A2B9-AB1EC016CCA2.jpeg

I didn’t bother with Tesla because I didn’t think they’d cover it. I have an appointment with a mobile rim repair service on Saturday. They seem to repair a lot of Tesla rims. Was quoted $220 to repair both rims.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna and CO_MY
I just posted about the same issue. Also went to Big Bear this past weekend and had purchased the snow chains off Tesla’s web store for my 20” induction wheels. My rims now look like this. View attachment 634088

I didn’t bother with Tesla because I didn’t think they’d cover it. I have an appointment with a mobile rim repair service on Saturday. They seem to repair a lot of Tesla rims. Was quoted $220 to repair both rims.

Im driving to the Tesla repair center in Santa Monica tomorrow to talk to them and will let you know how it goes. Can you let me know the name of the mobile rim repair service you're using?

Was it the metal chains or the plastic protectors that caused the damage or both? I test fitted these chains without the plastic protectors, and I could see how the chains could rub against the rims because the rims stick out more compared to other cars where there are more tire protection. I thought the plastic protectors would be the solution but didn't bother to do another test fit. If those don't help or actually make the situation worse, it's time for me to return the chains.

Was it the metal chains or the plastic protectors that caused the damage or both? I test fitted these chains without the plastic protectors, and I could see how the chains could rub against the rims because the rims stick out more compared to other cars where there are more tire protection. I thought the plastic protectors would be the solution but didn't bother to do another test fit. If those don't help or actually make the situation worse, it's time for me to return the chains.

With the plastic protectors! I went to the repair center today and they’re going to contact their online store team and get back to me, but yeah, don’t use these if you don’t have to

Im driving to the Tesla repair center in Santa Monica tomorrow to talk to them and will let you know how it goes. Can you let me know the name of the mobile rim repair service you're using?
The mobile rim repair company is called Orange Coast Mobile Wheel Repair. You can see their work on Yelp.

Did Tesla say when they’ll get back to? I emailed their online store but it says to allow 3 business days for a reply.

Reactions: CO_MY
Back in december I used the Konig chains sold on the Tesla website on my Tesla model 3 18" wheels and it also caused some damage. But luckily since those 18" wheels have recessed spokes you can't easily see the damage. Basically if any part of the chain touches your wheel it's going to be damage.

I see another chain being sold on the Tesla website right now for the 20" Tesla Model 3 that might be better. Since it doesn't seem to be making any contact with the face of the wheel.

I haven't personally run chains on my MY, but what happened to your wheels is one reason I don’t normally use snow chains anymore. I lived in N. Cal for many years and went to Lake Tahoe regularly. At first I used chains on a FWD car and boy was it a nightmare. Rashed wheels, broken wheel wells, broken chains, I once burned up a brand new tire when a chain flew off my drive wheel, so I had one chain and one bare tire, spinning up the mountain. (I was young and dumb and really wanted to ski that day). Point is after a few years of that I got sick of it, and got myself a true 4wd and never looked back. Now I just “Carry” chains, but unless I’m stuck at the side of the road with no other way forward, I won’t be using them. If you really want to go up in bad weather, get a cheap set of steel wheels and snow tires, put the chains on those.

So far (fingers crossed) I’ve been up to Big Bear in the snow with the MY and have not needed chains, the stock Goodyears got me through.

The mobile rim repair company is called Orange Coast Mobile Wheel Repair. You can see their work on Yelp.

Did Tesla say when they’ll get back to? I emailed their online store but it says to allow 3 business days for a reply.

Thanks man. They said they will help me out in this case by replacing the two wheels free of charge, which I obviously really appreciate. Hopefully you heard back from the online store, but if not, you may also want to try to go into the customer repair center in Santa Monica directly and talk to them as I did. I'm surprised to see the chains still listed on their website since this definitely won't be the last time they get customers having issues...

I just can't rationalize spending $500 for the new chains they listed that look like they won't damage the tires

Model Y 21" Snow Chains

Hopefully there are other options out there!

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
Has anyone tried the auto sock for the 20" on the Y? We are literally stuck in Frisco CO and all stores are out of the size we need. The MY AWD LR was awful with the 20" M+S tires- like we literally almost did cookies up I-70 West. Super bummed about the tires and snow traction.

Has anyone tried the auto sock for the 20" on the Y? We are literally stuck in Frisco CO and all stores are out of the size we need. The MY AWD LR was awful with the 20" M+S tires- like we literally almost did cookies up I-70 West. Super bummed about the tires and snow traction.

Did you try turning on off-road assist? This may help a little since it “forces” AWD to be constantly on.

Did you really drive to CO without winter tires or snow chains :oops:
I think for many AWD is usually considered a sufficient bar of driving in the snow. I've noticed e.g. in the Sierra Nevadas in California, the only question the transport authorities ever ask at checkpoints is whether I have AWD, never any questions about snow chains or winter tires - even though the regulations say AWD + snow tires or chains, no in-between.