Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla X last straw - Open Letter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all,

I've found this forum to be incredibly valuable for gaining information about our Model S, Model 3, and now for our Model X reservation. So many people have shared a plethora of information and I have tried to be a a sponge taking it all in. But I've gotten to the point where I cannot sit on the side lines anymore.

Our family has been loyal Tesla customers and avid Elon supporters. We put our deposit down 3 years ago for the Model X and waited patiently for the cars reveal and immediately fell in love with it - as everyone has (and for good reason). As one of the first reservations, we were invited to configure early in November 2015. We decided to pick the highest optioned car in order to receive it first, and avoided options that indicated delivery would be delayed (P90D, 7 seats, premium pck, autopilot, black leather, upgraded sound system - essentially everything except ludicrous mode). We confirmed our order the same day we were invited to configure. Tesla indicated the car would be ready January - early February. As January and February came and went, we received no update as to when our car would be produced. Then I started to see a few MX's on the road, and then started to hear of other cars going into production with higher VINs.

Given that we are VIN #32x we were a bit confused why we hadn't heard from our DS while other cars with high VINs were being delivered. We were told our car went into production March 10th. On March 11th, we received an email from Jon McNeil saying our car was "built" and would be delivered "this month." Around March 15th, I set a pick-up date of March 29th. March 22nd - 25th I called and emailed multiple times to confirm if the pick-up date would still occur, and received no response. Finally on March 26th, I was told the car was still in production and would not be ready for pick up, and they did not know when it would be ready or why it was delayed.

Meantime, many people with Non Performance models have begun to take delivery in the 2,000 - 3,000 VIN range. Performance models that are VIN 500 - 2000+ have taken delivery of their cars. People who made an initial reservation a month ago, have taken delivery of their cars. Which is awesome that the production ramp has increased so significantly, but I still have not received or heard about my car, VIN #32x.

I am not sure why I made a reservation at all? Other cars were given priority before mine so it didn't "secure" a spot. My car is supposedly held up due to sourcing a part, but it isn't unique to other configurations, so why don't I have my car yet? It seems that almost every configuration of P90D and 90D has been produced and delivered and our reservation 3 years ago was completely pointless.

As Model S owners, Model X reservers, Tesla shareholders, Solar City customers, Powerwall reservation holders - we love how Tesla and Elon are changing the world and we have backed every endeavor possible. However, this Model X experience has left us with such a sour taste that we have begun to question whether the company has begun to neglect the people that helped to make it such a success. This type of customer care is unlike the Tesla we've known. I reached out to the manager of the DS, Kyrstin, and for one week, she didn't return my emails or calls and left me in a holding pattern when I told her I was leaving the country and needed to coordinate what was going on with my car. Finally, I called her from a different number and she picked up, only to tell me that it will take at least 2 more weeks if not longer for my car to be complete. My question - do I even want this car? Seems like they are having issues constructing it. Wouldn't I be better off making a new reservation at this point (if I decided I wanted to continue down this path)?

I'm hoping someone can help me make sense of my circumstance or find someone else who may share a similar experience but was able to find resolution in the end. I've been put on hold and no one is giving me information or answering any questions. My hands are tied and I feel as if I've been sold a hollow dream that's become a nightmare with no end in sight. This isn't how a loyal customer should be treated and shame on them for alienating Tesla fans. I've put up with a lot and tried to be patient, but this may be the last straw for me.

If I was in your shoes I would be patient and wait as hard as it is. There are several of us in these forums that have taken delivery of X's with some serious production issues mine being one. The tough part for me is they can't even get the parts to fix it. To do over again I would gladly have waited until the end of summer to get an X with less issues than mine. Yes Tesla has bent over backwards to make me happy even given me a new S to drive until they fix mine but It's still not my X. I feel for you hope your situation resolves to your liking.

I'm in exactly the same boat with VIN #26x. Confirmed in December 2015.

My biggest fear is that the low VIN cars are built and sitting around in the factory being reworked due to quality problems.

The DS has said VIN number has nothing to do with build order, but it's a little fishy when you're seeing new orders with the same options coming out sooner.

If they ever schedule a delivery this month...I'm seriously considering rejecting the car if the build plate shows a build date earlier than March 2016. Given all the problems reported, I'm really not looking forward to repeated trips back to the service center for reworks.

My 2013 Model S has a few of the typical sloppy Tesla body fit issues, but the car has been bulletproof from the reliability standpoint...and the doors open/close every time. ;-)

Can you cancel? Then reorder in a couple of months. You have waited so long and are now thinking of bailing completely so.....Companies tend to pay a bit more attention when you actually start the cancellation process rather than just threaten. Maybe even Tesla. If you can stomach it - cancel. Then order again close to the end of quarter when the numbers are critical and they're desperate to get cars out the door. The X looks fantastic but I too have been seeing on this forum lots of cars with minor (some major) issues so maybe it would pay to go a bit later and get one after the bugs are out. You have already realised that early registration didn't mean early car in the drive so maybe now you can take some more time. Just some thoughts. I feel for you though.

Maybe it is parts.
According to reports today, they were short on parts.
I would just wait until your parts show up.
It isn't as if Tesla can ship your car without parts (if that is what is holding up your car)
Except the sun shade, they have shipped cars without that and you will get it later.

I've read a few cases of people in same boat. Low VIN, earlier configuration, but delays in shipping. However, I remember two of them being black on black vehicles (I believe it was black paint and wheels, not sure what else).

Depends what you want as a resolution at this point. Assuming you'd like a new build as suggested above, it's very unlikely that your DS has the ability to agree to that. If you want to increase your odds, the main thing is to always ask them someting they can say yes to.

Specifically in this case, I'd very calmly and politely point out the history of problems you've had. Then (also very calmly and politely) say that you want a new build/VIN assigned at no additional charge. Let the person know you totally understand this isn't something they can approve themselves, so instead you are asking your DS to 1) find out who has the ability to say yes to that; 2) ask that person in your behalf to issue a new build/VIN; plus, if needed, 3) put you in contact with that person if they say no.

At that point you've calmly and reasonably asked them for things they are empowered to do (with the possible exception of #3). If the person you are talking to refuses, you'd now have the option to ask to talk to their boss -- once again, very sympathetically ("I understand this puts you in a potentially uncomfortable position, but I really think this is a reasonable request. I'd like to talk to your manager so that they can be the one to track this down")

Yeh, unfortunately, the excitement of the car has been completely clouded by this horrific experience. I wish I could share in the enthusiasm that everyone else had who received their cars. It's been frustrating also because I got rid of my car earlier this year and have been car-less, bc I was expecting the Model X "soon" they told me.

Great advice from everyone. Appreciate the tips and people taking a moment. Hopefully the ordeal will be over soon. The stress this has caused is totally not worth it.

The Q1 has ended. Tesla has gone back to solving the problems discovered recently. They won't deliver another car with door latch issue or bad seals now. They will solve the issue and then only resume deliveries. I expected this is going to happen. People with low VIN and P90D getting stuck. The best thing I can tell you is that when you get your car, it won't have the issues you read recently. IMHO.
And I won't claim to understand the frustration you are facing, but I believe that the car will do a lot to sooth your mind. I don't think it could have been done in any other way.

• Informative
Reactions: AnalysiZ
From Tesla Delivers 14,820 Vehicles in Q1 2016; On Track for Full-Year Delivery Guidance (NASDAQ:TSLA)

The root causes of the parts shortages were: Tesla's hubris in adding far too much new technology to the Model X in version 1, insufficient supplier capability validation, and Tesla not having broad enough internal capability to manufacture the parts in-house. The parts in question were only half a dozen out of more than 8,000 unique parts, nonetheless missing even one part means a car cannot be delivered.​

Cold comfort, but at least Tesla acknowledges the part problem.

• Informative
  • Love
Reactions: AnalysiZ and SMSMD
Totally understand your frustration there. But remember if you get your car early, you might get the bad latch and still end up getting your car in service. I am sure you will be pretty upset as well. A little history of my car, under left and right falcon door panels, both sides are not painted completely, scratches, alignment off, driver and passenger front door latch failure. Driver door hydrolic bolt pop caused huge pretending dent in the driver door. My car is already in SC for 1 and half weeks now. Today i went to the SC, there is a line of X waiting to take in for fixes. Please consider yourself lucky if that makes any sense. Your X probably will have new latches installed, better fit and finish and overall a much better car. Sometimes been first is not always a good thing.

@ModelXBoy what was the build date on your X, the issues you faced makes me very worried about my X

You know what, my car broke and went into SC only 1 day after I took delivery. I don't even know the build date of my car. I think it's in Feb or March. I will check once I get my car back. Sometimes been delayed is not a good thing, Tesla might already built your car, just waiting for some part shortages. This wait time might cause the car just sit there, corrosion, rust and potential problems might be overlooked when parts finally come in. The best scenario is to order the car, with all parts available and build your car all within one month. This gives you best chance of having a higher quality car.

I have a little bit lower VIN and got a similar story, albeit a month earlier. Around March 20th, I received the vehicle. The production date on the tag inside the door said 1/16...so clearly it was sitting around for quite a while while they tried to fix the issues.

However, I can tell you that these early production models have plenty of mostly cosmetic issues. Mine will be going back to the local SC for I'd assume at least a week to fix these issues. My current list is 21 issues. The car drives incredibly well, it's beautiful, but it has issues.

You know what, my car broke and went into SC only 1 day after I took delivery. I don't even know the build date of my car. I think it's in Feb or March. I will check once I get my car back. Sometimes been delayed is not a good thing, Tesla might already built your car, just waiting for some part shortages. This wait time might cause the car just sit there, corrosion, rust and potential problems might be overlooked when parts finally come in. The best scenario is to order the car, with all parts available and build your car all within one month. This gives you best chance of having a higher quality car.

I don't have a VIN yet so I doubt they built my car yet (which is a good thing) but they are still promising the mid-April delivery so who knows

This is very frustration to hear. Clearly your car is not up to the quality standard as it should be and they are trying to fix it. They probably fixed the problem in the current production but they can't just toss those with problem. But all of that is not your problem and you should not have to worry about any of it. Tesla should just put a new one in production and deliver it to you. You are being punished for their mistakes.

I know this doesn't make you feel any better but I'm glad I didn't order the X. I will wait for a while and maybe get one once they reach their "2.0" stage.

• Informative
Reactions: AnalysiZ