Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla X last straw - Open Letter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the problem here is that other manufacturers have been in business a long time and already have trusted sources for parts. Tesla is still fairly new and is probably developing new relationships with new parts suppliers. Unfortunately, a few of those parts suppliers aren't living up to their promises. In time, Tesla will have a full roster of suppliers they know they can trust for various parts, and I think we will see fewer of these issues.

I thought that Tesla would have hired people who have significant experience in supply chain management.
As for vendors living up to "their promises", again, I would have thought that they would have hired people who know how to do due diligence and negotiate contracts so that you aren't depending on "promises" but rather on contractual commitments, penalties and a backup plan for issues with non-delivery.

This ain't rocket surgery or brain science.

I was in a similar situation. However, I took a different approach. Instead of getting pissed when they told me our Sig X would arrive sometime in mid/late January and it never happened and communication was only initiated by me on multiple occasions, I welcomed the delay. It gave Tesla more time to build a perfect car (so far ours is). And it also gave me more time where I didn't have to pay for financing. It's all perspective, but I was a little disappointed that we were still waiting for our sig when all these production cars started showing up as delivered.

Reactions: Pheadrus
I wonder if some of these lower VIN numbers had already gone into Production and they discovered several bad parts that were the source of some of the critical issues we are hearing about. This would mean they would need a special "Disassembly" line to take the cars apart and fix. If they were cranking these out at 200 a week then that is a lot of cars to take apart if they had 2 weeks worth.

One reason this came to mind was the surface rust under the front seats (on the leg posts) that a forum member shared their picture with us. These could have been older stored or even rushed parts that have no business on 100K car (or any car) . If there were bad FWD sensors/alignment, front door sensors, and large door/hood/trunk gaps cranking through the assembly line - again those would take a while to take apart and fix.

It would seem to me that your SC advisor should send an email to the affected new owners and just tell them whats actually happening. I know I would feel "GREAT" if I got that message and sleep better....

I'm #49xx in line and looking lumped in the Late April/May group and I'm in no rush....

I was in a similar situation. However, I took a different approach. Instead of getting pissed when they told me our Sig X would arrive sometime in mid/late January and it never happened and communication was only initiated by me on multiple occasions, I welcomed the delay. It gave Tesla more time to build a perfect car (so far ours is). And it also gave me more time where I didn't have to pay for financing. It's all perspective, but I was a little disappointed that we were still waiting for our sig when all these production cars started showing up as delivered.
It seems your username is a bit of a misnomer, considering your positive attitude.

My teenage Signature VIN has a build date of 11/15. Delivery didn't occur until 12/31 and that was only after the DS created a firestorm of activity that upset a lot of people up the chain. The DS and manager had promised end of year delivery in September and it did happen.

Pushing to get the vehicle delivered did result in a lot of last minute activity on delivery day. The technician was connecting the portable computer to the inside of the car while friends, customers and I were checking it out. The defects couldn't be hidden, the second row had non-moving cover plates and later that day, no more rear seat folding. Those two seats couldn't be folded until the entire rear seat assembly was replaced six weeks later! After delivery I noticed the driver seat leather was dirty and the paint needed professional paint correction before clear bra could be applied. The surprise was finding a PROTO label on a center floor panel that couldn't be seated fully. The SC is still waiting for some of the parts that need to be changed to later versions for proper fit.

No matter when delivery occurs, look carefully then and after for anything that needs attention. The process can be frustrating, but when Model X works, there is nothing else like it.

It would be nice to understand what is causing the delivery delay. I was supposed to pick up my model X last week but was advised to wait and not given a new delivery date. I don't know if it will be a couple of days, weeks, or longer. Very frustrating because there is no communication from the delivery advisors. Arrgghhh.

• Informative
Reactions: Dr ValueSeeker
It would be nice to understand what is causing the delivery delay. I was supposed to pick up my model X last week but was advised to wait and not given a new delivery date. I don't know if it will be a couple of days, weeks, or longer. Very frustrating because there is no communication from the delivery advisors. Arrgghhh.

Welcome to the forum, what was your VIN? When did you order? It looks like they are replacing the latches on early models

Hi all,

I've found this forum to be incredibly valuable for gaining information about our Model S, Model 3, and now for our Model X reservation. So many people have shared a plethora of information and I have tried to be a a sponge taking it all in. But I've gotten to the point where I cannot sit on the side lines anymore.

Our family has been loyal Tesla customers and avid Elon supporters. We put our deposit down 3 years ago for the Model X and waited patiently for the cars reveal and immediately fell in love with it - as everyone has (and for good reason). As one of the first reservations, we were invited to configure early in November 2015. We decided to pick the highest optioned car in order to receive it first, and avoided options that indicated delivery would be delayed (P90D, 7 seats, premium pck, autopilot, black leather, upgraded sound system - essentially everything except ludicrous mode). We confirmed our order the same day we were invited to configure. Tesla indicated the car would be ready January - early February. As January and February came and went, we received no update as to when our car would be produced. Then I started to see a few MX's on the road, and then started to hear of other cars going into production with higher VINs.

Given that we are VIN #32x we were a bit confused why we hadn't heard from our DS while other cars with high VINs were being delivered. We were told our car went into production March 10th. On March 11th, we received an email from Jon McNeil saying our car was "built" and would be delivered "this month." Around March 15th, I set a pick-up date of March 29th. March 22nd - 25th I called and emailed multiple times to confirm if the pick-up date would still occur, and received no response. Finally on March 26th, I was told the car was still in production and would not be ready for pick up, and they did not know when it would be ready or why it was delayed.

Meantime, many people with Non Performance models have begun to take delivery in the 2,000 - 3,000 VIN range. Performance models that are VIN 500 - 2000+ have taken delivery of their cars. People who made an initial reservation a month ago, have taken delivery of their cars. Which is awesome that the production ramp has increased so significantly, but I still have not received or heard about my car, VIN #32x.

I am not sure why I made a reservation at all? Other cars were given priority before mine so it didn't "secure" a spot. My car is supposedly held up due to sourcing a part, but it isn't unique to other configurations, so why don't I have my car yet? It seems that almost every configuration of P90D and 90D has been produced and delivered and our reservation 3 years ago was completely pointless.

As Model S owners, Model X reservers, Tesla shareholders, Solar City customers, Powerwall reservation holders - we love how Tesla and Elon are changing the world and we have backed every endeavor possible. However, this Model X experience has left us with such a sour taste that we have begun to question whether the company has begun to neglect the people that helped to make it such a success. This type of customer care is unlike the Tesla we've known. I reached out to the manager of the DS, Kyrstin, and for one week, she didn't return my emails or calls and left me in a holding pattern when I told her I was leaving the country and needed to coordinate what was going on with my car. Finally, I called her from a different number and she picked up, only to tell me that it will take at least 2 more weeks if not longer for my car to be complete. My question - do I even want this car? Seems like they are having issues constructing it. Wouldn't I be better off making a new reservation at this point (if I decided I wanted to continue down this path)?

I'm hoping someone can help me make sense of my circumstance or find someone else who may share a similar experience but was able to find resolution in the end. I've been put on hold and no one is giving me information or answering any questions. My hands are tied and I feel as if I've been sold a hollow dream that's become a nightmare with no end in sight. This isn't how a loyal customer should be treated and shame on them for alienating Tesla fans. I've put up with a lot and tried to be patient, but this may be the last straw for me.
Probably not a bad thing to get your Model X later as initial Model X quality isn't great.

I also got to a point where all of the thrill that should go along with buying a $160,000 car was gone. I am not going through my story again other than say it was delivered to my SC and because one problem after another it sat there for almost two months. I was given a delivery appointments of the First week of February. But ended up getting it in March.

I have found in working with the data in ModelXTracker and reading the forums almost every car less than somewhere around 750 was built between January 1 and January 31 but has either sat at Fremont or at a Service Center because of waiting for parts or other issues. The only exception was those few people who orders Onyx wheels and were accidentally assigned VIN early. My concern for you is the same concern I have being one of the first 25 to come off the production line is "am I going to have issues with the car forever." Only time will tell.

I love my car and some of the thrill finally came back but it is an experience I never want to go through again.

I'm seriously considering canceling my order at this point (March 24 - March 31 delivery with factory pickup, which was aborted at the last minute, with no word on when it will be ready). Waiting for a less problematic X built in a few months now, not to mention with a 100 vs. 90 battery, seems like it would be worth the wait.

same as above, I was supposed to get delivery by end of march, was aborted day before and told me that we have no date for pickup. I lost all the excitement.. wind is no longer in the sails.. I would rather have a solid car than one with dozens of problems reported. I feel like I should cancel my order and just re-order and get a better car. It weird, because people with VIN #'s 2000 higher than mine (low 1000) are already getting their cars and I'm punished for ordering the P90D so I could have it sooner.. as now I'm getting it later.. I would have gotten less expensive config if I wasn't prompted to order the P90D to get it sooner.

• Helpful
Reactions: Dr ValueSeeker