Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TESLA X section 179

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Doesn’t the vehicle need to be used solely for business purposes? How would a physician or accountant take advantage of it? I’m a small business owner but thought it wouldn’t apply to me because it wouldn’t be used solely for business purposes.
The optimal scenario is that your business makes at least $120,000 in pass-through income for a given tax year AND you acquire the SUV in December. Keep records and drive it 100% for business until Jan 1. You can claim 100% business use for the year and take accelerated/bonus depreciation, wiping out lots of taxable income. Realistically, you can have the Feds kick in $40k+ this way. Applies to business income - that's on top of whatever "fair" compensation you might pay yourself as an employee.

Reactions: Jbapckfan
Does the X qualify for a section 179 ?
I seem different answers hopefully someone can explain that knows for sure. I was told if it does qualify purchase can be new or used
No it does not. There is a lot of false information going around about gross vehicle weight being over 6,000 lbs. However, the law states the unloaded gross vehicle weight (curb weight) must be over 6,000 lbs. Reference IRC section 280F(5)(a).

• Informative
Reactions: croman
Remember. It is not the weight of the base car than triggers the deduction, but the GROSS vehicle weight. Combines the weight of the car plus the weight it can carry. You can verify the Gross vehicle weight on the door sticker.

You deduct $25,000 PLUS the rest of the $ you paid for the car. Essentially get to write off the entire purchase price the first year you place it into service (delivery date).

This is a write off of profits from your company. Not a tax credit (which you might have gotten last year as well.

For many, this makes a Model X the least net expensive of all the Tesla lineup. A Financial no brainer for those qualified.

Maybe why it is so popular with Physicians, Accountants and small business owners.
Unloaded gross vehicle weight (curb weight)

No it does not. There is a lot of false information going around about gross vehicle weight being over 6,000 lbs. However, the law states the unloaded gross vehicle weight (curb weight) must be over 6,000 lbs. Reference IRC section 280F(5)(a).
YES, the Model X does qualify for the bonus depreciation.

YES, the Model X does qualify for the bonus depreciation.

That information is incorrect. Please refer to the actual law below: 26 U.S. Code § 280F - Limitation on depreciation for luxury automobiles; limitation where certain property used for personal purposes

unloaded gross vehicle weight is the curb weight.

Actually, reread your own section. Passenger cars are treated differently than "trucks and vans" which are not defined other than: "In the case of a truck or van, clause (ii) shall be applied by substituting 'gross vehicle weight' for 'unloaded gross vehicle weight'."

From my reading, it seems that "trucks and vans" get to count loaded weight in their GVW.

These people seem to agree: "Significantly, for autos, the 6,000-pound limit is based on the unloaded gross vehicle weight of the auto, while for trucks and vans, the 6,000-pound limit is based on loaded gross vehicle weight, which includes passengers and cargo. This means that most full-size pickups and larger vans will be over the 6,000-pound limit and not subject to the Sec. 280F depreciation limits."

Reactions: mikes_fsd
Actually, reread your own section. Passenger cars are treated differently than "trucks and vans" which are not defined other than: "In the case of a truck or van, clause (ii) shall be applied by substituting 'gross vehicle weight' for 'unloaded gross vehicle weight'."

From my reading, it seems that "trucks and vans" get to count loaded weight in their GVW.

These people seem to agree: "Significantly, for autos, the 6,000-pound limit is based on the unloaded gross vehicle weight of the auto, while for trucks and vans, the 6,000-pound limit is based on loaded gross vehicle weight, which includes passengers and cargo. This means that most full-size pickups and larger vans will be over the 6,000-pound limit and not subject to the Sec. 280F depreciation limits."
just people someone says you can do something does not mean they are correct. The majority of my job is dealing with crooked CPAs and Lawyers that swear they were not committing fraud.

An SUV is a passenger vehicle and does not qualify as a truck or van. If it did, it would be called a truck or a van and not an SUV. By the law any passenger vehicle that has not be defined by the law as a truck or a van (this means work van by the way, not mini-vans) has to weigh over 6,000 lbs curb weight to hopefully qualify.

This means, if you were audited, you would have to prove that and SUV is a truck or van. Now let’s say you did somehow prove that SUVs were trucks or vans, you would then need to prove that specific vehicle, was usual and necessary (per IRC 162) to operate you business in order to have any expenses affiliated with it allowed on your taxes. So your job would be to prove to me that it was normal and necessary for people in your industry to buy $100,000 vehicles to do that same thing a $10,000 vehicle could. If you could not prove that, it then appears you are purposefully attempting to defraud the government.

I deal with this every day. If you can provide me any LAW supporting your opinion. Heck, I would even accept a FEDERAL COURT Case.

• Funny
Reactions: croman
The Model X is Not a "passenger" vehicle. It is a
The Model X is Not a "passenger" vehicle. It is a SUV.
You do realize that according to the IRS and SUV qualifies as a passenger vehicle. Find me a federal law that says different. I showed you what qualifies as a passenger vehicle (manufactured primarily for use on public streets, roads , and highways).
I guess if you could get Elon Musk to officially announce that the model X was created specifically for off-road use, you might have a chance at winning in court.

Does section 179 apply to only a new MX or can it be used towards a used MX for example, a 2017 or 2018? Also, i know every situation is different, but I just started my LLC last month and by the end of the year will only have about 40k in revenue, with my expected revenue for 2022 to be between 250-300k.

Would a straight line depreciation over 4 years be more beneficial over section 179 if i purchase it a used MX in december and claim 100% business use? Any advice/general guidance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Hi @MD JD I'm a few weeks away from turning in my current lease, and seriously considering the X. Super curious about what you wrote above, and had few questions. I established an S corp for my self in Nov 2019. I don't fully grasp yet how to optimize my next vehicle purchase. From what I have been reading online, getting a car to qualify for Sec 179, and in this case, 168 seems like a big plus. For example sake - If I go $7.5K down on a $120K model X (finance the rest), how much can I write off? Unfortunately, I haven't come across a solid CPA yet either, i'm totally open if you have any recommendations! PS I see you are in Alameda (I'm around Berkeley!)
Hey SS, I'm in Berkeley as well looking into what you considered a year ago. How did it work out happy to chat