Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla X vs performance X

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At this point I'm nearly certain the 90kWh battery will be the largest battery at Model X launch. Elon said it was designed specifically for Model X and if they were going to do something bigger they'd just do it now rather than bother with a modest 5kWh increase. I do think they'll offer 70kWh as well, but the range will resemble the old S60 and it won't be very popular. I also expect the 85kWh will disappear within a few months and never be offered on Model X.

LiveBlog: Tesla Motors Super Secret Model S Surprise Announcement | Transport Evolved
13:23share.png

Ludacris mode will be offered on the Model X -- the Model X will be 10% heavier, so 3.3 (ish) 0-60 time due to higher centre of gravity -- but just a guess, says Musk.

13:22share.png
90kWH was developed for the X -- 10% greater energy useage and 10% larger.

Net impact on range with the Model X with 90 kWH will be about 5%.

Does this mean that the range of the MX will be 5% less than the current MS? 270 - 14 = 255?

Does this mean that the range of the MX will be 5% less than the current MS? 270 - 14 = 255?
Hmm ... I was thinking the
90 kWh Model S was 5.9% more than the 85 kWh Model S and then
90 kWh Model X was 5% less than the 90 kWh Model S.
So the Model X would be about the same as the current Model S. Someone help with the interpretations.

w1mUUqh.png

[update]
After my post I saw Elon's stating about 6% as well.
Three Dog Day | Tesla Motors
90 kWh Pack
New buyers now have the option of upgrading the pack energy from 85 to 90 kWh for $3k, which provides about 6% increased range. For example, this takes our current longest range model, the 85D, to almost 300 miles of highway range at 65mph.
[/update]

Last edited:
fairly sure i am going to go for the 90D as it's likely to have the most range and the greatest towing ability, (would the performance version have more towing ability? I can't see that as it is still a 90 kWh battery). in my opinion it will have more than enough performance. i not that interested in blowing away supercars from stop lights! well admittedly would like to do it once in awhile :biggrin:

fairly sure i am going to go for the 90D as it's likely to have the most range and the greatest towing ability, (would the performance version have more towing ability? I can't see that as it is still a 90 kWh battery). in my opinion it will have more than enough performance. i not that interested in blowing away supercars from stop lights! well admittedly would like to do it once in awhile :biggrin:
I think Paul's previous towing comments are related to the bigger motor in the rear for the (P)erformance version.

<snip>
In any case, I'm thinking I'll be going for a performance version. Hoping that it will help with towing more than using it to drag race.
It would seem the below Model S 85 kWh information would be relative/similar to the Model X 90 kWh specs.
HQx2EX1.png