Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla X: Window tinting, Windshield tinting, Paint Protective Film, Seats wrap film

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi guys,

I finally got the X and found out that couple things I should do. So I have this guy coming to install the front window tinting, windshield tinting, paint projective films for front hood and bumper, then indoor 4 seats plastic wrap for black back pieces.

Front window is done: First, same problem with window won't roll up but we did the rest and it works fine now.

Windshield 3M Crystaline: Installing now.

I will keep you guys post if we find any problems. . . . . . . Hopefully no . . .

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    296.2 KB · Views: 428
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    291.8 KB · Views: 385
Reactions: Zroiron
Hi guys,

I finally got the X and found out that couple things I should do. So I have this guy coming to install the front window tinting, windshield tinting, paint projective films for front hood and bumper, then indoor 4 seats plastic wrap for black back pieces.

Front window is done: First, same problem with window won't roll up but we did the rest and it works fine now.

Windshield 3M Crystaline: Installing now.

I will keep you guys post if we find any problems. . . . . . . Hopefully no . . .

I've recall reading another thread that said they installed the windshield tint on the inside of the window. They measure and cut on the outside, and then install on the inside. Does it not make a difference either way??

• Informative
I've recall reading another thread that said they installed the windshield tint on the inside of the window. They measure and cut on the outside, and then install on the inside. Does it not make a difference either way??

I think almost every installer will do the same with measure and molding outside first, then install inside.

I don't know if there's any differences if you do it from inside though. .,

Still installing .. .3 hours passing already and he's installing inside windshield now.

I've gotten clear bra, all side windows and trunk window, and front seat backs done. I went 40% on front windows and 50% for rears. Doesn't matter in the rears since they are already dark, but wanted good heat rejection. 3M Crystalline for the windows. Suntek for the clear bra and seat backs.

The middle 3 seatbacks (I have 7 seat config) will be done tomorrow.

Didn't do the FWD top windows. Those seem to be doing ok with heat rejection. Also didn't do the front windshield as the price quotes was way too high and the shop said the template wasn't yet avail le so they'd have to do it custom. So far I'm fine without it. But its not summer yet.

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
Windshield is done. Looks good and only two issues: 1. Two 2 inches distress lines at the end of top windshield that he can not take it out. 2. One corner on the top where has the black cable and box across can cut little less to make it not that visible. So far, I am happy with the result.

Getting the front hood and bumper install now from Suntek.

Reactions: MikeC
I've gotten clear bra, all side windows and trunk window, and front seat backs done. I went 40% on front windows and 50% for rears. Doesn't matter in the rears since they are already dark, but wanted good heat rejection. 3M Crystalline for the windows. Suntek for the clear bra and seat backs.

The middle 3 seatbacks (I have 7 seat config) will be done tomorrow.

Didn't do the FWD top windows. Those seem to be doing ok with heat rejection. Also didn't do the front windshield as the price quotes was way too high and the shop said the template wasn't yet avail le so they'd have to do it custom. So far I'm fine without it. But its not summer yet.

I think when they hear "tesla", they charge more. lol

Who did you have do yours? We will be taking ours to Rick at Cactus Tint and hope to also do the windshield of it isn't too expensive. We had him do our S and have been happy with it.

The same. Rick and Chris have been very helpful as always. Funny thing is, I'm not promoting them only because they have said the X is a PiTA to do. They've done like 6 of them now. They provide very good service with a smile and are very helpful (yes they did my S early on and my Leaf and o recommend them highly). But I straight out asked them and they admitted they don't like doing the X at this point. But they'll do it and are charging reasonable fees.

Their opinion might change as the X becomes more common and the latch/software issues have been cleared up. Their experience has been negatively colored by issues dealing with the early latch/window/door issues of earlier builds.

Reactions: irishstoutaz
I have an S and got a full Xpel wrap on the car (plus tinted the windows). I can't tell you how happy I am to have gotten the wrap - it's saved my paint job at least ten times in the six months I've owned the car. I've banged my lift hatch against the roof multiple times and scraped my door against the curb, so getting the more unlikely places done has really paid off. Even if you aren't as clumsy as me, I'm told that because of California air quality regulations, the paint on Teslas is quite soft, and you'll probably have to deal with rock chips and such.

One thing I didn't know beforehand was that there's a significant difference between installers that do the job using precut patterns and those that cut by hand. Precut patterns don't wrap around edges, leaving you vulnerable when you open doors and such, and make it more apparent that the car has been wrapped. Also, the precut installers I talked to couldn't do my rear lift gate in one piece - they had to use two pieces, which would leave an unsightly seam which would build up with dirt.

Hand cutting, on the other hand, can yield amazing results. You get better protection and often you can't even tell a car has been wrapped. Unfortunately, it's an art that requires years to master and most shops prefer to go the precut route.

For those of you in the LA area I recommend Bemaro Specialty Films. I can't say enough good things about the owner, Benjamin - he's a virtuoso artist that really cares about his craft and doing a good job, and the polar opposite of all the slash-and-burn types out to make a quick buck. Just to give you an example, I was floored when he brought out bottled water to clean the car and apply the Xpel - he wanted to avoid the potential contaminants in tap water! He put his heart and soul into the project and I couldn't be happier. Last time I looked, every single review on Yelp is 5 stars. And he'll tint your windows, too.

Reactions: loganintx
I have an S and got a full Xpel wrap on the car (plus tinted the windows). I can't tell you how happy I am to have gotten the wrap - it's saved my paint job at least ten times in the six months I've owned the car. I've banged my lift hatch against the roof multiple times and scraped my door against the curb, so getting the more unlikely places done has really paid off. Even if you aren't as clumsy as me, I'm told that because of California air quality regulations, the paint on Teslas is quite soft, and you'll probably have to deal with rock chips and such.

One thing I didn't know beforehand was that there's a significant difference between installers that do the job using precut patterns and those that cut by hand. Precut patterns don't wrap around edges, leaving you vulnerable when you open doors and such, and make it more apparent that the car has been wrapped. Also, the precut installers I talked to couldn't do my rear lift gate in one piece - they had to use two pieces, which would leave an unsightly seam which would build up with dirt.

Hand cutting, on the other hand, can yield amazing results. You get better protection and often you can't even tell a car has been wrapped. Unfortunately, it's an art that requires years to master and most shops prefer to go the precut route.

For those of you in the LA area I recommend Bemaro Specialty Films. I can't say enough good things about the owner, Benjamin - he's a virtuoso artist that really cares about his craft and doing a good job, and the polar opposite of all the slash-and-burn types out to make a quick buck. Just to give you an example, I was floored when he brought out bottled water to clean the car and apply the Xpel - he wanted to avoid the potential contaminants in tap water! He put his heart and soul into the project and I couldn't be happier. Last time I looked, every single review on Yelp is 5 stars. And he'll tint your windows, too.

How much did he charge? I always buy screen covers for my phone but $6-7k for a full-wrap seems kind of pricey. I rather spend that money on tinting, warranty, sunshade, and a dashcam but I guess I don't understand the true benefit of this clear wrap. I have never done it to any of my previous vehicles but maybe it is one of those things that you don'r realize you need it until you get it?

How much did he charge? I always buy screen covers for my phone but $6-7k for a full-wrap seems kind of pricey. I rather spend that money on tinting, warranty, sunshade, and a dashcam but I guess I don't understand the true benefit of this clear wrap. I have never done it to any of my previous vehicles but maybe it is one of those things that you don'r realize you need it until you get it?
6K to 7K for full body wrap omg , . .its crazy. .

6K to 7K for full body wrap omg , . .its crazy. .
My quote is $8500 for just exterior full wrap. And a few more $k for seat backs. But there's not much of a choice in SLC area. I was contemplating it when I thought the $8500 was for full exterior XPEL, plus interior seats and thresholds, and a full Modesta coating. But I just can't stomache over 10% of the cost of an already outrageously expensive car (3x my most expensive previous car) just to keep it looking pretty. Guess we'll be scaling back, going to a "tier 2" detailer, or both.