Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla X without FWD Poll

Would you buy a MX if it didnt have the FWD

• Yes

Votes: 45 29.2%
  • No

Votes: 74 48.1%
  • Undecided

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Would have to see it first

Votes: 32 20.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Extra $20K-$30K on X not just for the FWD. You will get much more than that.

Agreed - Raven suspension, larger battery pack, bigger vehicle, larger motors, dual screens, better door handles, biohazard mode, heated steering wheel - right off the top of my head. About the only trade off is that the Y would have faster charging rates, and the single screen is better to watch on.

Reactions: msm859
I would drop the FWD in a heartbeat. My 2019 has been into service 3 times for repairs on the sensor and the technician basically keeps saying, “it’s just a thing that happens in the heat. I would do hundreds of these repairs every summer in Phoenix.” Unfortunately I live in the desert so the doors are nearly unusable when the ambient temp goes above 90 degrees, which is the majority of the spring-summer-fall. Additionally it’s annoying having to wait for the door to swing open before I can get into the drivers seat. That wouldn’t happen with a “normal” passenger door.
The FWD is cool to look at but overly complicated and limited practicality compared to normal doors.

I would drop the FWD in a heartbeat. My 2019 has been into service 3 times for repairs on the sensor and the technician basically keeps saying, “it’s just a thing that happens in the heat. I would do hundreds of these repairs every summer in Phoenix.” Unfortunately I live in the desert so the doors are nearly unusable when the ambient temp goes above 90 degrees, which is the majority of the spring-summer-fall. Additionally it’s annoying having to wait for the door to swing open before I can get into the drivers seat. That wouldn’t happen with a “normal” passenger door.
The FWD is cool to look at but overly complicated and limited practicality compared to normal doors.
Everyone has their own taste. That's why OP has a poll.
However, I am curious what part of FWD would be defective under high temperatures.
For me, I don't mind to wait for few minutes to get into driver seat

Agreed - Raven suspension, larger battery pack, bigger vehicle, larger motors, dual screens, better door handles, biohazard mode, heated steering wheel - right off the top of my head. About the only trade off is that the Y would have faster charging rates, and the single screen is better to watch on.
I actually don't like single screen especially not behind steering wheel. I think 3/Y screen will get drivers distracted.

I actually don't like single screen especially not behind steering wheel. I think 3/Y screen will get drivers distracted.

I think he meant that the horizontally place screen was easier to watch videos on.

having driven a 3 I have to confess that it wasn't as bad as I thought. Trust me, I'd rather have the screen in front of me too, but it wasn't too terribly bad. At night, I actually kind of enjoyed having nothing in front of me - for a bit. It does feel a lot like you're looking out into a black hole, on a dark and stormy night.

However, I am curious what part of FWD would be defective under high temperatures.
The ultrasonic sensor puck that's beneath the door panel is attached by an adhesive. When it gets hot, the adhesive melts or becomes soft and the sensor starts getting false readings off of the door panel. It thinks there's something blocking the door when in reality there's nothing there. On one my most recent service visit they said there was a scratch in the paint on the inner side of the door panel that was causing the problem. They repainted the panel yet I was still getting false readings afterwards, albeit somewhat diminished. This was towards the end of the summer so temperatures had come down somewhat though.
You would think that Tesla could solve this by making some kind of mounting bracket that keeps the sensor firmly attached to the door panel. Apparently it is more cost effective to just keep replacing sensors and recalibrating the system over and over again.

Reactions: Wilber
The ultrasonic sensor puck that's beneath the door panel is attached by an adhesive. When it gets hot, the adhesive melts or becomes soft and the sensor starts getting false readings off of the door panel. It thinks there's something blocking the door when in reality there's nothing there. On one my most recent service visit they said there was a scratch in the paint on the inner side of the door panel that was causing the problem. They repainted the panel yet I was still getting false readings afterwards, albeit somewhat diminished. This was towards the end of the summer so temperatures had come down somewhat though.
You would think that Tesla could solve this by making some kind of mounting bracket that keeps the sensor firmly attached to the door panel. Apparently it is more cost effective to just keep replacing sensors and recalibrating the system over and over again.

Have never had that problem and we often get triple digit temperatures in the summer.

I think he meant that the horizontally place screen was easier to watch videos on.

having driven a 3 I have to confess that it wasn't as bad as I thought. Trust me, I'd rather have the screen in front of me too, but it wasn't too terribly bad. At night, I actually kind of enjoyed having nothing in front of me - for a bit. It does feel a lot like you're looking out into a black hole, on a dark and stormy night.

Thank you, yes, that was exactly what I meant. My apologies for not being clear enough. I do think it's easier to watch videos, possibly play video games if you're into that, but that screen real estate on the 3/Y is concerning as you have to compromise between navigation/primary functions and the rear camera for instance. On the S/X you can split-screen without a problem and the IP just ensures that you still have all the primary driving info right in front of you.

I'm hoping that if there's an update to the S/X and choose to lose the IP while doing a horizontal screen that they'll also do a HUD. Much as you've stated I find having the IP invaluable, although the 3/Y screen isn't as much of a compromise as I thought it would be. I'm also concerned that they do the same kind of thing with switch gear and get rid of the wiper stalk and cruise controls and put them onto a screen - I don't particularly want that either as I feel that compromises safety while driving.

Thank you, yes, that was exactly what I meant. My apologies for not being clear enough. I do think it's easier to watch videos, possibly play video games if you're into that, but that screen real estate on the 3/Y is concerning as you have to compromise between navigation/primary functions and the rear camera for instance. On the S/X you can split-screen without a problem and the IP just ensures that you still have all the primary driving info right in front of you.

I'm hoping that if there's an update to the S/X and choose to lose the IP while doing a horizontal screen that they'll also do a HUD. Much as you've stated I find having the IP invaluable, although the 3/Y screen isn't as much of a compromise as I thought it would be. I'm also concerned that they do the same kind of thing with switch gear and get rid of the wiper stalk and cruise controls and put them onto a screen - I don't particularly want that either as I feel that compromises safety while driving.

You are welcome {period}

I don't think I would mind the horizontal large screen, as long as we keep something in front of us either the current instrument cluster or HUD. For myself, I like the instrument cluster.

I'm beginning to believe that they might go to the new battery design. Or, at the least, a pack that can later accommodate those cells. As I stated before, it wouldn't be a problem to have a pack with the older sized cells, for the standard range vehicles, and then the new cells for long range and the plaid version.

Reactions: TrevTremaine
this is interesting to me. How is it that the FWD better than a slider on a minivan in terms of using in tight spaces? I’d like to understand.

I don't understand either. Our garage is very tight, but our X FWD can fully open only if we press and hold the open button to override. Our kid is skinny enough to slide out the half opened FWD because it is just too much trouble to override. I would think sliding van door would work so much better for this purpose.

this is interesting to me. How is it that the FWD better than a slider on a minivan in terms of using in tight spaces? I’d like to understand.
Minivan door, when open, still protrudes 6-8" from car. that's a lot if you only have a couple feet between cars as we do in our garage. especially with infant car seats in and out. The FWD completely resolves this and makes ingress/egress f as r easier.

It is very simple.

FWD are better than any other option.

If you want a minivan buy that.

FWD work, are easy to get in and out of, and draw a crowd every time they are used (my M3 rarely gets a notice).

Sure <1% have some issue with them but >99% do not.

Show me any car that does not report some issue with anything.

Elon will keep them because in 1999 he bought a Mclaren F1 for $1M which had them and he boasted they are iconic (YouTube it). Just like the Model X.

Go buy your MY if you can't afford the better things in life. The X is for those who can.

Reactions: TBone2112
this is the one thing I dislike about FWDs in my X.

Y now has the heating steering wheel. the biohazard mode is available in Y for China and soon Europe, and eventually even US I imagine.

Saying eventually or possibly isn't now and it doesn't define when it'll be available. I'm quoting what is current.

Obviously, it could change tomorrow or next week, next month or never happen. Consider what happened with the cooled seats for the S/X - it came out, stopped, came out again, and hasn't been since 2018 I believe. You can also talk about the raven suspension on the 3/Y that's been rumoured. My point is that people have been speculating changes for Tesla since it started and has only gotten more fervent since the Model 3 intro. It may or may not happen.

How much cost / complexity do the FWD add? If they made an otherwise identical car, how much of a price change would normal
Doors be? 3k? 5k? 8k?

I own a Y. Eyeing an X for extra space. FWD are on the list of features I would rather save money than have (along with like second screen and upgraded interior).... it’s not that I dislike it, but it’s just not worth $$$ to me.
My dream car is a baby of an X and a Y. No FWD but 100 kWh battery.

Reactions: cusetownusa
How much cost / complexity do the FWD add? If they made an otherwise identical car, how much of a price change would normal
Doors be? 3k? 5k? 8k?

I own a Y. Eyeing an X for extra space. FWD are on the list of features I would rather save money than have (along with like second screen and upgraded interior).... it’s not that I dislike it, but it’s just not worth $$$ to me.
My dream car is a baby of an X and a Y. No FWD but 100 kWh battery.
I doubt they would pass any cost savings on to customers, any reduction in manufacturing cost would just go to making the X more profitable per unit for Tesla.

The price point is dictated by positioning in the lineup, an X has a certain price gap between it and the Y, much like the differential between a BMW X3, X5 and X7, the delta in cost of manufacture is probably minimal compared to their respective price gaps.

Reactions: msm859