Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla X without FWD Poll

Would you buy a MX if it didnt have the FWD

• Yes

Votes: 45 29.2%
  • No

Votes: 74 48.1%
  • Undecided

Votes: 3 1.9%
  • Would have to see it first

Votes: 32 20.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess I don't get what you are after with the question. I voted Yes. But, would I be as happy with my purchase. The answer is No. My decision was an accumulation of many of the features with the X being Electric and and SUV 1st and 2nd. The FWDs was a huge bonus that makes me more satisfied with my purchase. It would be similar to asking would you purchase a Tesla if it went 0-60 in 6 seconds vs. 4.8 seconds. Yes, but still would not be as satisfying. To me the FWDs is a push you over the top to purchase kind of item. A better question would be; would you buy an X with FWDs over a similar electric SUV vehicle from another manufacturer without FWDs that is similarly priced. I would go with the X because of the FWDs.

Reactions: henderrj
Odd that the determining factor on buying a Model X for so many is that it has FWD, and they would look elsewhere if it had conventional doors - considering any alternate vehicle that could be purchased would have... conventional doors. Is that really it, the reason for choosing not to buy a Model X - FWD’s?

Personally I had a lot of priorities far above FWD’s. First of all it needed to be big enough to replace my Range Rover. Then it needed charging infrastructure to make ownership realistic. The technology (autopilot and over the air updates) finally sold me on it. FWD’s are cool, but not one of the decision making factors for me

I'm curious to ask the people who voted no: what would you buy instead? It's not like there are a bunch of other options with FWD. Would you just go back to an ICE SUV?

In a blink there will be multi[ple BEV SUV options. There is only 1 X with FWD. Why would Tesla want their X to become just like every other SUV? They have already spent the R&D to get the FWD's. Getting rid of the FWD's would be a marketing disaster on par with the "New Coke".

• Love
Reactions: tierneyalvin
In a blink there will be multi[ple BEV SUV options. There is only 1 X with FWD. Why would Tesla want their X to become just like every other SUV? They have already spent the R&D to get the FWD's. Getting rid of the FWD's would be a marketing disaster on par with the "New Coke".

What I'm saying is if Tesla got rid of the FWD, all of your options, BEV or ICE, would not have FWD. So what would you buy instead? If you want a BEV SUV the Model X would still be your only option (the model Y is a CUV and much smaller).

All of these people voting "no" seem to be indicating they don't want Tesla to replace the FWD, which is fair, but are they considering what the alternative is? I don't like the FWD but I bought a Model X anyway because there is no alternative. I would think that logic goes both ways.

What I'm saying is if Tesla got rid of the FWD, all of your options, BEV or ICE, would not have FWD. So what would you buy instead? If you want a BEV SUV the Model X would still be your only option (the model Y is a CUV and much smaller).

All of these people voting "no" seem to be indicating they don't want Tesla to replace the FWD, which is fair, but are they considering what the alternative is? I don't like the FWD but I bought a Model X anyway because there is no alternative. I would think that logic goes both ways.

I took the question to mean would you look elsewhere also if the model X didn't have falcon wing doors. I wouldn't look anywhere as long as the falcon wing doors are there, if they aren't, lots of other companies have better interiors. I loved the various Mercedes that I owned over the years for their interiors. Tesla, well, I love the company. And the overall experience is good, but their interiors are just not that great.

after driving a minivan for 20days courtesy of Tesla (Model Y heat issue...) I came to the conclusion that a Model X with 'minivan' doors would be perfect for me. 7 useful seats, can tow, plenty of space, and can still put roof racks on.....

Good god no, I can't possibly say that any stronger without getting in trouble. If you want a minivan go and buy one but for the love of all things holy, I hope Tesla NEVER brings that to anything in the Tesla lineup.

Jeff

Love my Falcon Wing Doors. They are something that kind of defines the Model X. Makes it stand out among all the millions of other SUVs.

Elon understood that the kiss of death for the X would be if it attracted the stigma of the dreaded practical MiniVan and it's SockerMom image.

Just another example of classical Tesla thinking outside the box and producing an Icon.

Tesla is an aspirational vehicle, and few guys aspire to own a Minivan.

Reactions: rush6410 and msm859

It seems clear that Most people like the FWD and that feature was in fact a motivating factor to purchases the Model X. I suggest you are in the minority. The good news for you, as I said before, is in no time 2-4 years you will have multiple options of "ordinary" BEV SUV's. For us that want something unique we will continue to buy the X.

The doors are stupid. That doesn't mean they aren't neat, but practically speaking it just was not something that needed reimagining. I just bought a new X, in spite of the doors, not because of them. They'll go down in automotive history like the central pivoting 3rd headlight, or the continental spare tire hump, or the auto-retracting seatbelt, as a period-correct bit of automotive weirdness, not as something that anybody should dare to try again.

If they had offered a sliding door for an extra $1500 I probably would have But I did buy one. So I guess that makes me extra dumb. They do help to make the car just weird enough to be tolerable in refrigerator white with multiple kids pouring out the back after screaming for half an hour

Last edited:
Odd that the determining factor on buying a Model X for so many is that it has FWD, and they would look elsewhere if it had conventional doors - considering any alternate vehicle that could be purchased would have... conventional doors. Is that really it, the reason for choosing not to buy a Model X - FWD’s?

Personally I had a lot of priorities far above FWD’s. First of all it needed to be big enough to replace my Range Rover. Then it needed charging infrastructure to make ownership realistic. The technology (autopilot and over the air updates) finally sold me on it. FWD’s are cool, but not one of the decision making factors for me

I suspect there are a lot of people who had that "wow" moment when they saw them and just will always want them and think they're awesome. Everybody has that "holy crap" moment with a certain car that awakens enthusiasm for the first time, and if the wing doors are the reason you want the car, cool I guess. But all of what you say is true.

I wanted my next car to be an EV, and the next need for a car in the family included dog and multiple kid carrying ability in a comfortable package, that can tow occasionally. So.... Model X it is. Even with a cornered 3-row EV marketplace right now, looking ahead, all of the cars on offer anytime soon are going to be much more truckish than I want. X is basically just a tall wagon, and this appeals to me, a lot. The doors were a necessary evil.

They do have a certain rube goldbergian cool to them, though. The back doors, anyway. The front doors are just effin' dumb

I would suggest you go buy the Chrysler Pacifica PHEV.

Yep. actually, the tesla-provided rental was a Chrysler. I've test driven the Pacifica PHEV. In the end we sacrificed the '7 seat requirement' and have everything else (including heat, now) in the Model Y. In the end, 7 seats wasn't worth the loss in efficiency compared to the Y. (Plus the Y can tow, which technically the PHEV Pacifica isn't rated for...) In the end, the X FWD were a 'deal breaker' as I use roof racks regularly... thus my statement for an X with minivan doors..

All said, diversity in EV options are a good thing. that way, people who like FWD can get them and people who cartop canoes can get something else good too!

It seems clear that Most people like the FWD and that feature was in fact a motivating factor to purchases the Model X. I suggest you are in the minority. The good news for you, as I said before, is in no time 2-4 years you will have multiple options of "ordinary" BEV SUV's. For us that want something unique we will continue to buy the X.

I don't think an informal poll on a Tesla fan forum is the best indication of how many people like the FWD vs. normal doors in the real world. I know a handful of other X owners in real life who don't post on this board who also find the FWD annoying. They bought an X because it's the biggest BEV available, has the supercharger network, has the Tesla brand, etc. The doors had an initial cool factor but once the novelty wore off they stopped being a positive.

And I'm still waiting for the "no" people to say what they would buy if Tesla removed the FWD? One person said Model Y. Would any of you really go back to an ICE vehicle (also without FWD)?

Last edited:
I wouldn't purchase the MX without the FWDs and agree with AvengerBB. Without the FWDs, the MX just wouldn't be the same vehicle. However the FWD wasn't the only reason I made the purchase. Here's a few of the features that helped with my decision.

- the small instrument panel behind the steering wheel for reading speed and quick access
- large MCU screen
- automatic opening / closing driver door
- huge front window
- space
- Falcon Wing Doors

Reactions: laceyboy