Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Y 19" Hankook replacement? Warranty?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Booked a mobile tyre service to replace 2x front standard Hankook tyres that a co-driver had kerbed and taken a good chunk out of.

I'd ordered 2x Michelin Crossclimate 2 SUV which are same size 255/45/R19 (since the exact Hankook, let alone the T0 version, wasn't to be found)

However on arrival the operative told me that because it was rated 104H (the H denoting road speed, something I never knew), he's been told previously "by Tesla" (?) that the Tesla warranty on things "wheels" wouldn't be valid. Is this true? He advised I just cancel and try again with a W rated tyre, same as the original. In a panic, I did this but now I need to try again. Having looked, I see that H rated is still way above the speeds I drive (130mph+).

The more I look into this the more baffled I get. I understand the T0 Hankooks have foam inserts but it's not always clear what other premium brand tyres have this. Is it important? It's really hard to tell.

Any idea what's "closest" to what I have? Has anyone replaced the stock Y Hankooks yet?

If I had my chance again I'd have just let him fit the Crossover 2 SUV but I wanted to have a look into it first!

Thanks for opening this thread.
I have looked myself for acceptable All Season tyres for the Geminis, and I must say that I came up empty.
It is normally important indeed to follow manufacturer recommendations both in terms of load (104) and speed (W), especially because of the heavier weight of our cars (w/battery). They are often labeled XL (SUV/Extra-Weight). But not necessarily to follow the T0 (proprietary Tesla-approved nonsense).

Are you particularly set on all-season tyres? I agree that would be the better choice, but couldn't find anything on the market for 255/45/19/104W.
Otherwise, you have a lot of summer alternatives, in the likes of the Goodyear Eagle F1, Conti SportContact 6, Pirelli P Zero,
If you're looking for the foam inserts, they generally have "Silent" variants too.

Agreed that if you're planning on visiting the mountains this winter, a CrossClimate might be better, even if it doesn't carry the speed requirements...