Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Y 2.0

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think the horn being a side capacitive button is a bad idea in the Yoke design. In an emergency, your reflex is to smash in the middle of the steering/yoke, no look for that tiny little horn button.

I'd also prefer the turning stalk instead of a capacitive button.

Those are the only two things that I would change to the Yoke design.
The thing that is retarded about having a capacative touch horn button (that is only on the right side)... What happens if you are mid turn and your yoke is upside down, and you need to honk the horn? Where's the horn button? Not where you expect it to be. It's going to be on the left side, and it will be on the bottom of the spoke, not the top. If the horn was in the center, it wouldn't matter what position the wheel is in, the horn will still work...

Reactions: Exelion
Like everything else Tesla, I suspect that you'd get used to it in time.
Flip the yoke upside down, and try to adjust the volume of the stereo and/or skip to the next song with the yoke... You probably have to think about it.. And you probably adjust the stereo with your wheel controls WAAAAAAAY more often than you honk the horn.... Think about that for a second....

Flip the yoke upside down, and try to adjust the volume of the stereo and/or skip to the next song with the yoke... You probably have to think about it.. And you probably adjust the stereo with your wheel controls WAAAAAAAY more often than you honk the horn.... Think about that for a second....
If you turn your steering wheel in a model y the radio controls switch sides.... not sure how it’s different than the yolk. And don’t worry, I’m sure rpm tesla is talking to it’s Chinese suppliers about a abs plastic clip on wheel for the yolk, gonna be released any day now for 99.99

If you turn your steering wheel in a model y the radio controls switch sides.... not sure how it’s different than the yolk. And don’t worry, I’m sure rpm tesla is talking to it’s Chinese suppliers about a abs plastic clip on wheel for the yolk, gonna be released any day now for 99.99
My point was that when I'm in the drive-thru, my wheel is upside down while I'm at the speaker box.. And if I adjust the stereo, I have to think about it, becuase the controls are flipped while I'm at the speaker box... And I adjust my stereo all the time... If I have to think about the stereo controls when the wheel is rotated, that means it'll be even more non-intuitive with the horn button on the yoke, since you don't use the horn as often as the stereo controls.

Everyone waiting for Austin to come online so they get the latest Model Y, possibly w/ front casting, structural battery, 4680s, adj. suspension, etc. There is no timeline for when the Y "2.0" will be available to the masses. I can see limited production in Austin, but how does one insure they get an Austin Y, when Fremont is still churning out the majority? In my case, being in CA, I am guaranteed to get a Fremont Y with the dated features until Austin is producing ALL Model Y's and Fremont can retool. I don't see that happening until late 2022. So, why wait? Life is short, get the car now. If updates become available that you can't live without, trade in and order the new hotness.

Reactions: DanDi58 and ucsdsig
Everyone waiting for Austin to come online so they get the latest Model Y, possibly w/ front casting, structural battery, 4680s, adj. suspension, etc. There is no timeline for when the Y "2.0" will be available to the masses. I can see limited production in Austin, but how does one insure they get an Austin Y, when Fremont is still churning out the majority? In my case, being in CA, I am guaranteed to get a Fremont Y with the dated features until Austin is producing ALL Model Y's and Fremont can retool. I don't see that happening until late 2022. So, why wait? Life is short, get the car now. If updates become available that you can't live without, trade in and order the new hotness.
Some us ordered now, can verify vin when it comes, and if its Fremont just cancel. I bet Austin ramps up quicker then expected, every aspect from its construction, to mega casting, to producing the 4680 cells has been designed to support a much shorter tooling time and quicker ability to scale up production barring no major shortages of material ect.

Some us ordered now, can verify vin when it comes, and if its Fremont just cancel. I bet Austin ramps up quicker then expected, every aspect from its construction, to mega casting, to producing the 4680 cells has been designed to support a much shorter tooling time and quicker ability to scale up production barring no major shortages of material ect.
I'm afraid if you cancel all vehicles out of the Fremont location, you won't be driving a Tesla for a year. As a CA buyer, I don't see how you would receive an Austin built car before Fremont shuts Y production down to retool for the front casting and structural pack.

It's going to be a balancing act for sure, as I'm sure they aren't going to want to be producing 2 very different version of the Model Y at the same time. Personally, I think the Texas plant will be producing the 'back-up' version of the MY that Elon referred to initially - that is, the exact same car they are making now - until 4680 cells are more widely available. Remember, they really have to get the Semi going, as they have customers who have probably made some significant payments to get them first, and will be chomping at the bit.

I am more hoping for software updates like better A/C control, better voice commands, etc. Also more control within the APP
Those are all software changes, and since Tesla regularly releases new software to the fleet we know that software improves continuously.

I think the OP’s reference to a “Y 2.0” is about a major single-step change to the vehicle hardware. There is no way to know when that will happen, if ever. Tesla integrates hardware changes into their vehicles irregularly and unpredictably. Things like new chassis designs, new pack designs, new cell designs, may or may not happen together.

As Elon has said many times, if you want to buy the best Tesla ever made buy the one they are selling right now, while knowing that in the near future they will be even better. But if you keep waiting for the “best“ Tesla you’ll never own one. :D

Reactions: M-S-M
The thing that is retarded about having a capacative touch horn button (that is only on the right side)... What happens if you are mid turn and your yoke is upside down, and you need to honk the horn? Where's the horn button? Not where you expect it to be. It's going to be on the left side, and it will be on the bottom of the spoke, not the top. If the horn was in the center, it wouldn't matter what position the wheel is in, the horn will still work...
The “R” word, even in this context is not really appropriate. You might want to edit your post if possible. Just an FYI.