Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Y 2021 PPF bra?

Luminous

Mar 9, 2021
Hello,

We have white 2021 Tesla Y which will be going on several long trips soon. We are thinking to add clear bra style PPF to protect front bumper. How hard it is to install?

I am looking at invisiblemask website and they are asking if I want kit with sensors or without. Any cheaper options you can recommend?

SQLDevDBA

Jun 11, 2020
Orlando, FL, USA
The front bumper is very difficult. I’d highly recommend letting a professional do it.
agreed. Fenders, hood, and even mirrors are relatively easy compared to the bumper. Pay the money and have a pro do it. You’re going to do it regardless.

source: tried it on my own and I’m fairly decent with vinyl/tint. The bumper is just way out of my amateur level skill set. Paid the pros and it looks perfect.

DoctaM3

Dec 8, 2020
Pittsburgh
I agree---the temp stuff might work.. consider track wrap but if you want to truly protect your investment, I would consider having a professional do the PPF. Truth be told, even around town you can get road debris that will damage the paint.

Reactions: Luminous and Darmie

Darmie

Supporting Member
Jan 13, 2016
Clear Lake TX.
I don't think it matters. The two (model X, model Y) I have, they covered them up with the wrap and all still works great. I think if you picked the one with sensors, it may be very difficult to line up the holes.

Reactions: Luminous

mark95476

Jun 21, 2020
Bay Area CA
Plastidip

Cheap and super easy with a spray can (put down a few layers).

Hello,

We have white 2021 Tesla Y which will be going on several long trips soon. We are thinking to add clear bra style PPF to protect front bumper. How hard it is to install?

I am looking at invisiblemask website and they are asking if I want kit with sensors or without. Any cheaper options you can recommend?

Proto

Apr 2, 2021
Socal
I used this kit from eBay and I believe you can get a 10% code through one of the YouTubers. The install video above is what I used for reference and recommend. Like everyone said, the bumper is extremely difficult because you have to stretch and tack down certain points and it's a lot of work if you aren't experienced with it. Having said that, I was fine doing it myself to save some extra money and ended up with some imperfections. You can try with the rocker panels first to get some experience with the film if you want to DIY.

2101Guy

Jan 6, 2020
USA
Hello,

If youve never done PPF install before, chances of doing it right your FIRST attempt...on the Y bumper? Are very...slim.

For a long trip I'd go with this

Or I'd do like Ive done with every other car Ive owned. Just...drove it as is/like 99% of all of the other drivers on the road do

SQLDevDBA

Jun 11, 2020
Orlando, FL, USA
If youve never done PPF install before, chances of doing it right your FIRST attempt...on the Y bumper? Are very...slim.

For a long trip I'd go with this

Or I'd do like Ive done with every other car Ive owned. Just...drove it as is/like 99% of all of the other drivers on the road do
Wow.
Wow, had NO IDEA this existed. All that time wasted with painters tape.

Thank you. I don’t have PPF on my White MYP (only got it on the MSM) but we are taking both on a road trip in may and I’m definitely using this for the white one!

Last edited:

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC