Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Y always starts charging immediately

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My tesla Y starts charging immediately when plugged into my third generation home wall charger. This is not a problem of being on scheduled charging versus scheduled departing versus any other setting. No combination of settings I can think of has fixed or alter the problem. Has anybody else had this issue come up? I install the latest software as of two days ago. I’ve Tried restarting the Tesla, but it doesn’t help either. Would love some assistance with this, the peak rates are much more expensive and I would like to avoid having to wait until midnight to plug in my car!

Take a picture of your charge settings.
F0307E4A-9AA0-4A92-9EF0-18C08AB37BDE.jpeg
606976F5-25B3-4185-9281-4EE0B9C971F2.jpeg
E253EC5A-F1DC-4695-A30C-AF0A0C38C4A0.jpeg
6BBFCE81-052F-442F-BA1C-83F921FDF017.jpeg

Have you updated the Tesla software to 2021.24 or 2021.32 in the past few weeks? Can you recall if the Scheduled Departure charging issue started after a software update?

In other cases where Scheduled Departure has stopped or never worked I suggest removing the Scheduled Departure settings and re-entering the settings. It is helpful to only change one variable at a time so you can determine if a specific change fixes the issue.

Things to try:

1) Reboot the Tesla

2) Delete the Home Location, and re-add the Home location in the Navigation system.

3a) Try setting Scheduled Charging (this is easier to set and test that Scheduled Departure); i.e. set Scheduled Charging to begin at 11 PM or midnight so you can easily check by visually inspecting the charging port light (blinking green when charging) or via the Tesla app to see if the Tesla Model Y is charging at the scheduled time, not before (blinking blue if a charging session is scheduled.)

3b) If Scheduled Charging works then set up Scheduled Departure - Charging. You might try setting the Off-Peak rate period to be 7:30 AM so that Scheduled Departure - Charging will stop charging at that time. (My experience has been that Scheduled Departure Charging is conservative, will sometimes complete charging almost 30 minutes before the end of the Off-Peak Rate period so I intentionally set the end of the Off-Peak Rate period to be 30 minutes after I want charging to complete so that charging completes closer to the desired time, not sooner.)

• Helpful
Reactions: mrwug
I just wish it was not so complicated, and most of all not location specific. Lucky for me I charge (mostly) at work so don't have to worry about TOU rates, but it would be nice to be able to have the car finish charging right before I depart to ensure a warm battery in winter.

Keith

Reactions: Mr_Joe
Have you updated the Tesla software to 2021.24 or 2021.32 in the past few weeks? Can you recall if the Scheduled Departure charging issue started after a software update?

In other cases where Scheduled Departure has stopped or never worked I suggest removing the Scheduled Departure settings and re-entering the settings. It is helpful to only change one variable at a time so you can determine if a specific change fixes the issue.

Things to try:

1) Reboot the Tesla

2) Delete the Home Location, and re-add the Home location in the Navigation system.

3a) Try setting Scheduled Charging (this is easier to set and test that Scheduled Departure); i.e. set Scheduled Charging to begin at 11 PM or midnight so you can easily check by visually inspecting the charging port light (blinking green when charging) or via the Tesla app to see if the Tesla Model Y is charging at the scheduled time, not before (blinking blue if a charging session is scheduled.)

3b) If Scheduled Charging works then set up Scheduled Departure - Charging. You might try setting the Off-Peak rate period to be 7:30 AM so that Scheduled Departure - Charging will stop charging at that time. (My experience has been that Scheduled Departure Charging is conservative, will sometimes complete charging almost 30 minutes before the end of the Off-Peak Rate period so I intentionally set the end of the Off-Peak Rate period to be 30 minutes after I want charging to complete so that charging completes closer to the desired time, not sooner.)
Yes, up to date software as of 10/3. The problem predates my last update. i was hoping this would have resolved when I updated the software about 5 days ago, but no help. I tried every thing you suggested. Unfortunately it still started charging within 5 minutes, even though it said charging will start at 12:15am. Maddening.

Try cycling the Wall Connector by turning off the circuit breaker, waiting a few minutes before flipping the breaker back on. (What happens when you use the Mobile Connector to charge?)

I'll assume that the display shows the correct time. Does the Tesla app show the correct location when your Model Y is parked?

Do you have any third-party software installed such as Optiwatt?

Maybe try several full shut downs from the Service Menu where you walk away and then restart.

The Tesla vehicle should be able to determine the time via the GPS receiver. Try turning off the WiFi connection.

Last edited:
I just wish it was not so complicated, and most of all not location specific. Lucky for me I charge (mostly) at work so don't have to worry about TOU rates, but it would be nice to be able to have the car finish charging right before I depart to ensure a warm battery in winter.

Keith
Try cycling the Wall Connector by turning off the circuit breaker, waiting a few minutes before flipping the breaker back on. (What happens when you use the Mobile Connector to charge?)

I'll assume that the display shows the correct time. Does the Tesla app show the correct location when your Model Y is parked?

Do you have any third-party software installed such as Optiwatt?

Maybe try several full shut downs from the Service Menu where you walk away and then restart.

The Tesla vehicle should be able to determine the time via the GPS receiver. Try turning off the WiFi connection.
I just installed the iOS Tesla app update, which I notice includes changes to charging controls. So far, this seems to have fixed it! strange but happy it’s working again!

Reactions: jcanoe
All,

I have a one month old S and have consistently found that the car ignores the scheduled charge time and starts charging on its own 10-60 min after being plugged in. Tesla has checked out my charger and the car and can find no problem. Today, a tech recommended resetting my Tesla app password just to make sure some other app was not hijacking the schedule. I don't have any third party apps installed, but I reset password anyway. Well, about 30 seconds later, I received an email from Optiwatt confirming that I had reset my Tesla password and could they have my credentials again. I declined.

As it turns out, I had installed the Optiwatt app just to try it at the recommendation from a friend, then decided I didn't need it and deleted it from my phone. I thought that was the end of Optiwatt, but it wasn't. My car is now plugged in but NOT charging, apparently waiting for the scheduled charge time tonight. It has now waited to charge for more than an hour--a new record!

I had never been to the Optiwatt website, but I signed in with my previous app credentials, and sure enough, I have a profile with settings from when it was on my phone. The website shows charging at cheapest time enabled. Since I am on a constant rate plan, I conjecture that Optiwatt was overriding the Tesla schedule to charge right away, since I am always at the cheapest rate. Besides not sharing my Tesla app credentials with Optiwatt, I have disabled Optiwatt's scheduling function.

Moral of the story for me: The easiest way to make sure only your Tesla app is controlling the car, change your password! You will find out right away who else wants access.

-JJ

Reactions: macmovieman