Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Y Contenders shopping list?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi,

Have test driven the Tesla Y and already falling in love with it. However, I just want to make sure I've checked out the competition before pulling the trigger. I've made a shopping list of similar SUV type electric vehicles to test drive as well, are there any on my list not worth test driving or any I have missed? Anyone who has done the ground work already would appreciate your feedback.
Any advice appreciated:
BMW iX3
Jaguar iPace
Polestar 2
XC40 Recharge
Lexus UX300e

Cheers

Sorry to hijack the thread, but had not seen that chart before. It’s interesting that the EPA lists the MY with a rating of 276 Wh/mile, but lists the range at 326 miles. Did someone provide them with a test model that had a 90 KWh battery pack? If you were able to wring every electron out of the 82 KWh battery that the vehicle comes with you would only be able to go 297 miles.

In order of alternatives that I've test driven (at least twice) or owned.

EV6 - test drove Wind RWD and Wind AWD
Mach-E - owned Premium RWD Standard Range
Ioniq 5 - test drove SEL RWD, SE AWD, Limited AWD

I think the EV6 is the most fun but not exactly practical for a family hauler due to cramped interior. Mach-E suspension is a tad rough but since you liked the Model Y it is similar. Ioniq 5 has the worst highway efficiency but should be good for city driving.

Sorry to hijack the thread, but had not seen that chart before. It’s interesting that the EPA lists the MY with a rating of 276 Wh/mile, but lists the range at 326 miles. Did someone provide them with a test model that had a 90 KWh battery pack? If you were able to wring every electron out of the 82 KWh battery that the vehicle comes with you would only be able to go 297 miles.
They used bad data.

One Wh/mi figure for the Tesla Model that aligned with the older EPA combine city highway estimate of 316 miles for the 2020 Long Range Model Y; 74kWh and 234Wh/mi for an estimated range of 316 miles.

Other musings:

76.3 kWh and 234 Wh/mi for an estimated range of 326 miles

77.2 kWh and 234Wh/mi for an estimated range of 330 miles

77.2kWh and 276Wh/mi for an estimated range of 280 miles

Last edited:
I traded in 2021 Tesla Model Y after 6 months and 7k Miles. In the 7K miles, there is a long trip from Houston, TX to Indianapolis, IN. I traded in Model Y not because I did not liked it but just because I was getting way more than I paid for it and we were looking to get a second electric car once my wife graduates in May ( We already have Another Model Y on order, order placed in October). I traded it in and got Polestar 2. I would not have purchased Polestar 2 if I did not get Tax credits and more than what I paid for Model Y. It is a bit more expensive than what you get with it. With that said, I absolutely Love it, build quality is excellent (Not Volvo kind of materials but, it is very well built and decent materials used). It is a blast to drive ( Even more fun if you get a performance package which I did not coz of cost). Range is not bad either, in real world driving, I am averaging 31.1 KWH/100 Miles, in you factor in cold weather where I live, in the worst case, I might average 35 KWH/100 Miles, which would give you a little more than 200 Miles even in Winter which is not bad at all. When I did the trip from Indianapolis to Houston back in December, I was getting about a little less than 200 miles on highway in cold weather in Tesla. So, Polestar 2 is something you can consider if you value build quality, driving dynamics and design of the car It is outstanding too look at IMO but looks are subjective . Space in the second row is not a strong point in Polestar 2. All in all, I would give 7/10. I will rate Tesla 8/10.

The major advantage for Tesla is Charging network ( although it might not be an issue in future if Tesla expands it to others) and Charging speed ( This is the major problem). For example, I went from Houston to Dallas when I traded in Model Y and came back in Polestar. In tesla, it took 20 minutes of charging for 290 miles or driving. In Polestar, it took 40 minutes of charging for the same 290 miles. Tesla had 100% charge when I left home, Polestar had 97% charge.

In less than 8 hours of driving it might not make a huge difference but anything greater than that, it DOES make a huge difference and that is where Tesla shines and makes the experience way better than others.

Overall Space is also considerably more in Model Y, my wife commented that she liked Model Y when she sat in the Polestar 2 rear seats. I told her that she can drive the Y and I will be happy with the Polestar 2.

In my situation, I think we will be fine with Tesla and Polestar combination. For shorter trips, we can take Polestar and for longer trips, we can depend on Tesla.

• Informative
Reactions: tm1v2
I have a Model Y on order but in the meantime I did test drove a Mach-E and VW ID4. I also have been following all the reviews of the other similar electric cars like Ioniq 5, Kia EV6, and Polstar 2. And for me personally the biggest factor is room inside, performance, range/charging and technology. Model Y is the only one in this price range that has optional 3rd row. I know it's small but I do need it for occasional trips around town and none of the other cars offer it. Model Y in my opinion has the most cargo room as well although just slightly. As far as fun driving aspect the only car that might be better is Polstar 2 but considering it is I think the smallest out of all of them that was a strike for me. as far as range I know on paper Tesla looks really good but in reality they are all very similar but big difference is the supercharger network. And lastly technology wise that is an easy win for Model Y, especially infotainment screen in its usability and features, while I will admit Tesla's approach of putting everything on the screen is not for everybody for me its perfect with frequent software updates and just snappiness of everything. The only thing I wish Model Y would have is a driver display but it is not a deal braker for me. Everyone has different needs and preferences so you should definitely look at competition and I'm really pushing my budget for a Tesla as the competition is a bit cheaper but I feel like Tesla offers the most complete package which is worth the extra cost.

Hi,

Have test driven the Tesla Y and already falling in love with it. However, I just want to make sure I've checked out the competition before pulling the trigger. I've made a shopping list of similar SUV type electric vehicles to test drive as well, are there any on my list not worth test driving or any I have missed? Anyone who has done the ground work already would appreciate your feedback.
Any advice appreciated:
BMW iX3
Jaguar iPace
Polestar 2
XC40 Recharge
Lexus UX300e

Cheers
Prior to ordering my MY I was invited to test drive a Mercedes EQS which has a sticker price of $120k
After that test drive , I did another test drive of the MY and placed my order.
The Mercedes turn off was the inability to use the Tesla charging network

From the whispers I've heard, yup. The 'normal' Macan and Macan S should start around the mid to high $50,0000 mark. All rumors right now though.
The handling on those will be far more superior than a Model Y LR & P and will definitely target to beat MYP in qtr mile numbers. Both of these reasons may force Elon to release an OTA update for Track Mode and also a bump in speed. Or Tesla may release MY Plaid edition.... or they won't do jack. Who knows, will see how things play out but hoping for the OTA updates.

I test drove the MY and Mach-E, and the price alone sold me on the Kia. The Mach-E's electronics were primitive and the steering was numb and slow. The non Tesla charging network in Denver where I live is even better than Tesla's, so that wasn't a factor. And the vehicle to load option on the Kia/Hyundai is incredibly useful for my needs camping and at the racetrack. With a $7500 federal credit and $2500 state credit, the EV6 Wind AWD is $42k out the door plus taxes. The MY is 45% more with no credits, but it is hard to say it's 45% more car.

Reactions: Whatstreet