Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Y delivery to different state (tx) I am moving to this summer.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, I have a Tesla bade model Y ordered at $52k where I was able to get hold on delivery until 03/31. I am moving to Austin from sf this July so my preference is to get the car delivered after moving which would save shipping cost and some on sales tax. I was wondering if there’s any way to delay the delivery further. Talked to SA and they told me it’s not possible.

Another option I am considering is to have the car shipped / parked at my relative’s place in dallas until my move to Tx. Not sure what delivery and registration process is required so would be great if someone can shed some lights if this is even a feasible option without me having to fly to tx.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Hi, I have a Tesla bade model Y ordered at $52k where I was able to get hold on delivery until 03/31. I am moving to Austin from sf this July so my preference is to get the car delivered after moving which would save shipping cost and some on sales tax. I was wondering if there’s any way to delay the delivery further. Talked to SA and they told me it’s not possible.

Another option I am considering is to have the car shipped / parked at my relative’s place in dallas until my move to Tx. Not sure what delivery and registration process is required so would be great if someone can shed some lights if this is even a feasible option without me having to fly to tx.

Why not just cancel and order the car when you need it and your personal stuff is situated? Tesla like most companies don’t schedule their business around your personal travel plans. Want something, order it, and receive it. As you already played the delay game once your likely best to just cancel till you want to actually buy a car.

Upvote 0

If you take delivery of the vehicle in California (regradless of which state you are residence of) You WILL pay CA Sales tax (which is going to be around 10%, depending on where you live in Californian or (for non-residence) the sales tax rate of the delivery center located. There is NO WAY around it.

However...
1) If you take delivery of the vehicle in CA and the car is NOT INTENDED for the use in California (Defined as first 12 months) you can apply for a sales tax refund with CDTFA. Be prepared to provide documentation to proof the car is NOT in california and the vehicle was never inteded to be use in CA.

2) Alternatively, change your registration address to that of in Austin Texas and tell tesla you would like to take delivery at XXX( Choose your fav Texas Tesla Delivery Center) and be done with it.

Hope this helps,

beewang

Upvote 0
I had similar issue. I ordered a Tesla that was scheduled to be delivered to Ft Myers Florida. Checked with the SA and requested it to be delivered to Tampa Fl instead. He said no problem as it is showing as pre-production, hasn't shipped yet and it would not be an issue. They would have to drive by Tampa to get to Ft Myers anyway.

He made the change and a $500 fee was added to the order to change the delivery address. WHAT???

I cancelled the change in delivery address back to Ft Myers and the $500 fee disappeared.

Upvote 0
I had similar issue. I ordered a Tesla that was scheduled to be delivered to Ft Myers Florida. Checked with the SA and requested it to be delivered to Tampa Fl instead. He said no problem as it is showing as pre-production, hasn't shipped yet and it would not be an issue. They would have to drive by Tampa to get to Ft Myers anyway.

He made the change and a $500 fee was added to the order to change the delivery address. WHAT???

I cancelled the change in delivery address back to Ft Myers and the $500 fee disappeared.
Those are reasonable requests but the OP have already delayed shipment once and now wants another 4 plus month delay. Easier to just cancel and order when he wants a car.

Upvote 0
Hmm, not sure if Yelpbird understood my question. I think Tesla has played the game with their customers with pricing changes/ stock manipulation. My personal situation has changed since I’ve placed order and do not agree this is an unreasonable request as they used to allow hold for a year. Not sure if your comments are helpful at all either. I am happy to purchase the car if I can have it registered and safely parked at my family’s home in Dallas until my move this summer.

Upvote 0
Hmm, not sure if Yelpbird understood my question. I think Tesla has played the game with their customers with pricing changes/ stock manipulation. My personal situation has changed since I’ve placed order and do not agree this is an unreasonable request as they used to allow hold for a year. Not sure if your comments are helpful at all either. I am happy to purchase the car if I can have it registered and safely parked at my family’s home in Dallas until my move this summer.
They won’t Hold a reservation for a delayed year. With to many playing the flip game they terminated that plan. They are done with the game.

Upvote 0
Yes. Would you be able to shed some lights on my question regarding having the car delivered to my family in Dallas w/o me having to fly to receive the vehicle and have it registered? Is this even a feasible option? You don’t have to post the same comments three times to make your point….

Upvote 0
They stopped letting people delay their purchase indefinitely starting in Feb 2023. I think in 2022 they allowed people to push their cars out to try to honor their original estimated delivery date because people were cancelling their orders and it pushed peoples deliveries up from 2023 to 2022 which they allowed them to do that. Nowadays Tesla is getting stricter on that since it doesn't have that huge backlog like it once was and its a logistics nightmare to keep shifting things around. I think you are better off just cancelling your order and reordering your car when you are in Dallas. It doesn't matter whether you agree with Tesla or not....they will call your bluff and just cancel your order after you have used your 1 hold (which pushes your EDD at most 2 weeks). I think stressing over a few grand in taxes is not worth in the end IMHO given that the tax credit may change in April.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yelobird
Upvote 0
If you take delivery of the vehicle in California (regradless of which state you are residence of) You WILL pay CA Sales tax (which is going to be around 10%, depending on where you live in Californian or (for non-residence) the sales tax rate of the delivery center located. There is NO WAY around it.

However...
1) If you take delivery of the vehicle in CA and the car is NOT INTENDED for the use in California (Defined as first 12 months) you can apply for a sales tax refund with CDTFA. Be prepared to provide documentation to proof the car is NOT in california and the vehicle was never inteded to be use in CA.

2) Alternatively, change your registration address to that of in Austin Texas and tell tesla you would like to take delivery at XXX( Choose your fav Texas Tesla Delivery Center) and be done with it.

Hope this helps,

beewang
I'm having a tough time finding anything in the code that talks about delivery of a car in california, in order to send it to unplugged in hawthorne for modfication, before it is shipped to Texas. In the very helpful link you posted, I see a lot about use intended for other states where the car was brought into california... I really wish I could get the calfornia people to charge me texas sales tax ... Any thougths on this scenario?

Upvote 0
I'm having a tough time finding anything in the code that talks about delivery of a car in california, in order to send it to unplugged in hawthorne for modfication, before it is shipped to Texas. In the very helpful link you posted, I see a lot about use intended for other states where the car was brought into california... I really wish I could get the California people to charge me texas sales tax ... Any thoughts on this scenario?

California is real strict. They want their money.

A few years ago I was looking to fly from Florida to CA and buy a new Toyota. Then take a road trip back home from CA to FL. I was willing to pay FL sales tax but the The Toyota dealer told me that if I drove the car off the dealer lot I would have to pay CA sales tax. If I had it trucked to another state and took delivery there I could avoid the CA tax.

Same with an airplane. If it's delivered in CA the CA sales tax would need to be paid. If they flew it to a neighboring state without sales tax and I took delivery in the other state I would avoid CA Sales tax.

Later this year I will be picking up a new Ford F-450 that I ordered 15 months ago in PA. I will be paying cash and they would put a 30 day temp tag on the truck to alow me to drive it back to FL. Once I register it in FL then I would be paying FL sales tax. I did this twice before. IOnce buying for a IL Dealer and another time from a GA dealer. Both times the vehicles ere trucked to FL and when I registered them there I paid Sales tax to FL.

Reactions: buttershrimp
Upvote 0
It’s interesting … I suppose the question would be whether there is a way to request a refund of money paid to California from California for a vehicle intended to register out of state? I imagine maybe. Seems on the texas side the credit will be apllied of 6.25% paid in California… but the 10% California tax refund petition would be the trick (I like to assume the worst, however I should verify if it’s possible since that would do it for me).

Upvote 0