Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Y Pictures - Interior and Exterior

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Unless you need the extra height and seating comfort.. for people with injuries or bad knees, SUV's are a god send and almost requirement. I know I can't drive more then an hour in a normal car without my knee issues flaring up. I would have loved a Model 3.. but I could never get a comfortable seating position.. hence the Model Y :) Also bending over to put kids in a car is a pain as well, especially for tall people, having taller cars is also very much needed for some people. So I would never call the Model X or for that matter the Y useless...

/agreed. In my case, I don't really have any issues getting in and out of my wife's model 3, I just don't like it that way. 15 years ago I would rather have the lower profile, race style sport sedan. But I'd rather be comfortable at this point, and being 6'2, I have a hard time finding a place for all my legs that isn't an issue. When I drive the 3 I'm stuck with either left leg all the way forward, or hiked up and pressed against the door. I currently drive a hatchback that sits higher and more vertically than the 3, and while driving I can place my legs in pretty much any old way that it is comfortable, and it doesn't complicate operating the steering wheel. The 3's seats are bolted directly to the floor, and it looks like only give 8" of height between the top of the seat and the floor. Placing your feet flat on the floor of the car makes your knees stick up alongside the steering wheel. But in my hatchback, there is 15" of height between the floor and the top of the seat.. almost double the flexibility there for leg orientation.

Considering people complain about the way the M3 dims the outside mirrors, apparently not based on actual light conditions but on the time-of-day, and people disabling it, I'd rather have no dimming than poorly implemented dimming. Of course best would be a setting to enable/disable it.

BTW: most recent vehicles seem to only dim the driver's side mirror, not sure if that is due to regulation somewhere.

Reactions: Electric Steve
MVIMG_20200315_125850.jpg
Do other brands have a better solution for this problem?

My Audi Q5 has a loop instead of a pole that protrudes a lot less into the opening between seats. Overall, I don't really mind the Model Y's pole. I had this Audi for about a year and a half before I even discovered the middle could be put down independent from the sides.

View attachment 522096

My Audi Q5 has a loop instead of a pole that protrudes a lot less into the opening between seats. Overall, I don't really mind the Model Y's pole. I had this Audi for about a year and a half before I even discovered the middle could be put down independent from the sides.

Get rear ended by a semi and see how the buckle will hold compared to the hardened steel pole?
Jokes aside, the B8 S4 6MT was my last ICE, loved it except steering became wobbly within a year
with spirited driving, just like in all my VAG cars, Golfsx3 and Passat, and the turbo was a 3rd class
ho in hot humid weather.

Do other brands have a better solution for this problem?

It was funny when folks were marveling over the 40/20/40 seat (granted, any news about the Y was basically multiplied by 10 given how starved we all were for new info). It was a feature my 4Runner has had since its 2010 redesign -- we're talking about the polar opposite in terms of state-of-the-art technology vs. the Tesla. :)

I took a look -- it has the same post sticking out, so to answer the question, Toyota doesn't have a better solution, at least not in the 4Runner. Also, at the bottom of the photo, you can see my cargo cover...not standard, but sold by Toyota as an OEM accessory.

Attachments

• IMG_9409.jpeg
    IMG_9409.jpeg
    447.8 KB · Views: 76
It was funny when folks were marveling over the 40/20/40 seat (granted, any news about the Y was basically multiplied by 10 given how starved we all were for new info). It was a feature my 4Runner has had since its 2010 redesign -- we're talking about the polar opposite in terms of state-of-the-art technology vs. the Tesla. :)

I took a look -- it has the same post sticking out, so to answer the question, Toyota doesn't have a better solution, at least not in the 4Runner. Also, at the bottom of the photo, you can see my cargo cover...not standard, but sold by Toyota as an OEM accessory.
Right, but doesn't the car come with the hooks already in place for that cargo cover?

Looking at a couple posts above, maybe they got more complaints than compliments on the auto-dimming side mirrors. Or, it was $$$! ;-)
The issues that I'm aware of with the auto-dimming side mirrors could be fixed with software updates. Even having a manual override would be enough. I love having them for the most part, but there are times when I don't need them on.

Page 55 of MY manual. Looks like it does dim.

Rear View Mirror
The rear view mirror is adjusted manually. When in the Drive or Neutral gear, the rear view mirror automatically dims in low lighting conditions (for example, when driving at night or through a tunnel).

I did an extended test drive on a Model 3 for about a week and the side mirrors at night drive me nuts with how difficult it was to see. The rear glass also was a challenge with the heater lines causing refraction from headlights behind me.

I have never had those two issues in my current or previous vehicles, which have the same setup (side dimming mirrors and embedded rear glass heater wires).

• Informative
Reactions: Electric Steve