Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Y proximity sensors

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hello!

I just received my Tesla Y last Wednesday and I am struggling a little with the proximity sensor.

When I was in my Tesla 3 and moving in to park the front sensor would tell me how many centimeters I was away from objects really smoothly, it felt like it was real time and once it hit 30cm it would say stop.

The Tesla Y seems to jump a lot, today while parking it went 56...48...stop. I was practically not moving, so I doubt it was a speed issue, and definitely nothing I haven't done in the 3 previously.

Are any of you find the same, or should I get in touch with someone?

Thanks,

Johnni

It may be because it's so new......the cameras might need a little time to fine tune themselves.
The parking sensors are ultrasonic, not cameras.
Hello!

I just received my Tesla Y last Wednesday and I am struggling a little with the proximity sensor.

When I was in my Tesla 3 and moving in to park the front sensor would tell me how many centimeters I was away from objects really smoothly, it felt like it was real time and once it hit 30cm it would say stop.

The Tesla Y seems to jump a lot, today while parking it went 56...48...stop. I was practically not moving, so I doubt it was a speed issue, and definitely nothing I haven't done in the 3 previously.

Are any of you find the same, or should I get in touch with someone?

Thanks,

Johnni
Hear you when you said your model 3 worked in the same situation. Posting to see if any of these might apply.

One that caught my eye in your case was checking bumper alignment.

Check out page 65 of the owners manual.

"A bumper is misaligned or damaged" but it doesn't say what spec is. There are some others listed to check out as well.

Yeah once you understand the limits and how the car works it’s pretty easy to navigate in tight places. I’ve only had 1 bump in my tight garage but it was with a box and did no damage.

Yup, for me it would actually be easier if I could shut off the distracting beeping. I KNOW that I am parking right up against the passenger side of the car in my garage so I have plenty of room on the drivers side to open the front and rear drivers side door fully for loading and unloading groceries etc... I have the car automatically fold the mirrors for clearance... I don't need it beeping at me the entire time I am parking.

Keith

Yup, for me it would actually be easier if I could shut off the distracting beeping. I KNOW that I am parking right up against the passenger side of the car in my garage so I have plenty of room on the drivers side to open the front and rear drivers side door fully for loading and unloading groceries etc... I have the car automatically fold the mirrors for clearance... I don't need it beeping at me the entire time I am parking.

Keith
You can turn off Park Assist Chime in the menu. It's under "Safety & Security" section.