Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Y rattles

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have same issue with the glass roof squeak and creak. It's above the passenger side front edge.

Just took my car in for service this past Monday to have the tow hitch installed and asked them to address the roof issue. Will let you know what I hear back from them.

I have rattles by the passenger visor, driver door lower portion by the pocket, and the rear hatch area by the 3rd brake light. Just poor engineering, fitment, and/or lack of rubber and other assorted materials that would reduce NVH.

I had a creaking sound from the passenger B pillar above the seat belt section. The SC was able to reproduce and put in more insulation to solve my issue. Also, the roof glass caused wind noise at high-way speeds, I installed the rubber wind noise reduction kit from RPM (Model Y Wind Noise Reduction Kit ($24 with 20% Off)) and my issue went away. I also adjusted the 4 hatch stops, as shown here and on YouTube, to eliminate the buffeting noise at high speeds.

A rumble from the suspension of any road not perfectly smooth is my main issue. Its sort of a infrasonic, almost an air pressure feeling. Every crack or blob of tar on the road get transmitted through the rear suspension and amplified.

Wind noise is there, but not all that different than any other car I've owned. But I did order the 2 RPM kits that fill in seals. They are not expensive and look easy to installl. We'll see how things change.

Reactions: Stach
It may be more than a rumble from the road and may be your hatch buffeting as well. I have the same low frequency rumble from minor road imperfections and also significant buffeting from the rear hatch. I don't think everyone is sensitive to the extremely low frequencies as the rest of my family isn't fazed by it, but it definitely annoys me. I finally got around to looking at the hatch and found one of the plastic stoppers missing on the drivers side.

Here's what it should look like:
13c02d81-6f65-438f-8bce-69b9e588a415

upload_2020-10-5_21-36-50.png

And here's how it looks with the piece missing:
upload_2020-10-5_21-36-46.png

Also, here's a great forum post, with video, that details how to adjust the hatch bumpers to get a good seal and eliminate the buffeting.

Reactions: Mercedes fan
I have same issue with the glass roof squeak and creak. It's above the passenger side front edge.

Just took my car in for service this past Monday to have the tow hitch installed and asked them to address the roof issue. Will let you know what I hear back from them.

I have the same thing, same spot, going in for service on Friday and see what they say. it is very, very, very, did I mention, very annoying!!!

I adjusted the upper hatch stops after watching the video. They weren't even touching anything when closed. I need slight adjustment on the bottom, but mine will not turn. Is there a wrench needed for these?

After adjusting the upper and driving, the pressure waves were worse. I extended the stops even more and its a bit better. Maybe the bottom that I can't adjust is the key (getting them all touching evenly).

Will report back when I get my kits installed to reduce wind noise.

My MY def has that weird plastic clicking on all 4 wheels when I am going <10mph but I can only hear it when I have a window down. Mine also has some rattle somewhere on either the drivers A pillar or the drivers side dash area. I only hear it on rough roads. The one that makes me the most worried is when I drive out of a store driveway onto the street turning right, I hear a clunk in the front suspension.

Pretty much. My Tesla is amazingly quiet now.

My gasser had squeaks and rattles from day 1. I brought it to the dealer to get fixed multiple times. They tried, but weren't able to fix them so I lived with it. Tesla service has done better in retrospect, however, I'm the type to wrench and fix things myself when possible.

I encourage everyone to get to know your vehicle, home, computer, ...etc... and be able to fix things yourself. I asked the Tesla service center guys to show me how to do things, but they encouraged me to come in and let them handle it since the vehicle was brand new.

I had some time this weekend so I tracked-down and temporarily fixed a rattle coming from the middle rear seat buckle. A tiny victory, but it still felt great.

I often wonder how much of what i hear now is because the car is so quiet? Would these sounds be noticeable to me if it was a gas engine?

Reactions: Mmackinnon
Anyone have a rattle coming from the Dashboard right in front of the driver? If no music/audio is playing I can hear it easily. If any audio it playing I have to listen hard but can still make it out. Would Tesla service look at this if I submit a service ticket?

Update from original post. Finally got to the service center due to covid and had them look at it. They said they tightened some stuff, but on inspection only saw some dirty finger prints on the trim. Still have the problem. May try going back in the future.