Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

ROAD TRIP EXPERIENCE QUESTIONS

• I almost NEVER achieve the projected mileage efficiency (~230wh/mile) on a road trip

Votes: 24 57.1%
  • I feel safe reaching my destination when the Tesla projected NAV battery % at destination is 8%

Votes: 17 40.5%
  • My mileage efficiency drops dramatically when I exceed 55 MPH

Votes: 15 35.7%
  • At 75 MPH or above my mileage efficiency drops to 350 wh/mile or worse

Votes: 19 45.2%
  • Tesla NAV projected battery % is often 2-5% higher than my actual final battery % at the destination

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • My mileage drops dramatically when climbing serious altitude on a road trip

Votes: 17 40.5%
  • Tesla needs to provide navigation support with charging from different start points and waypoints.

Votes: 16 38.1%
  • At high outdoor temperature my AC sometimes stops working for 10-15 minutes

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Tesla supercharger stations should always have trash cans and 24 hour bathroom access

Votes: 22 52.4%
  • When the outside temperature drops below 80 I sometimes see the AC stop working for 10-15 minutes

Votes: 2 4.8%
  • Tesla supercharging should ALWAYS tell me what the cost per kwh of charging is

Votes: 12 28.6%
  • Tesla needs to allow their NAV to include way stops to safely navigate sightseeing

Votes: 18 42.9%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What were your average speeds? We did a road trip and see closer to 300-310 Wh/mi when going 80-85 mph for long stretches (LR w/ Inductions).
I have TACC set to 8% over posted limits. That's usually about 6 to 7 over. Having owned 3 Volt's since March 2012 I have learned SPEED KILL's an EV's range and truth be told, the speed demons seldom really get to their destination much faster since they usually consume more energy and need to spend more time replacing it at the next charging stop.

The other thing, we are 68 years old and need to stop for BIO breaks well before the car needs a charge so whenever one of us need to stop (regardless of SoC) we stop at a SC'er and in that 10 or 15 minutes we add another 75 to 100 miles and NEVER have to worry about our wh/mi etc. I do think with EV's SLOWER can be FASTER.

Here's my teslafi report for my NY-Maine trip last week.

I think the main difference between these trip and mine is that I did not go on highways (rarely) and kept the speed down. This was a sightseeing trip, not a "get there trip"
maine trip report teslafi.jpg

Here's my teslafi report for my NY-Maine trip last week.

I think the main difference between these trip and mine is that I did not go on highways (rarely) and kept the speed down. This was a sightseeing trip, not a "get there trip"View attachment 690404
Well that certainly looks like a lovely trip! I'll be heading from Maryland to Belgrade Lakes, Maine (near Augusta) in two weeks, but sadly mine is a "get-there" trip. OTOH, it's mainly along I-95, which has built-in speed limiting* in various places.

*Traffic and/or construction

Going from San Diego to Dallas (and vice-versa) means that you'll most likely be driving above 55 mph (max speed limit of 75 MPH in AZ/NM/TX) so your Wh/mile will be much more than 250. We just completed a short trip to Bisbee AZ from the SF bay area and our average Wh/mile was 353 in a 2018 M3P with 18" wheels and winter tires. Fierce winds and keeping warm will definitely lower your efficiency.

Capture3.JPG