Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Y Shaking/Shutdown When Driving

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
On Friday 08/20/21, when leaving Costco just before 8:00 pm closing, driving under 30 mph, my 2021 Tesla Y (took delivery in March, 2021) began shaking violently and immediately shutdown. Although the screen was operating, the auto would not go into drive or reverse. Called Tesla roadside service and after an hour of attempting to reset the auto, we gave up and the car was towed to Tesla. We are still awaiting (08/22) notification of the results of Tesla’s diagnostic examination. Just wondering whether anyone else has had a similar experience and, if so, the ultimate outcome. Thanks!

• Informative
Reactions: Meteile
On Friday 08/20/21, when leaving Costco just before 8:00 pm closing, driving under 30 mph, my 2021 Tesla Y (took delivery in March, 2021) began shaking violently and immediately shutdown. Although the screen was operating, the auto would not go into drive or reverse. Called Tesla roadside service and after an hour of attempting to reset the auto, we gave up and the car was towed to Tesla. We are still awaiting (08/22) notification of the results of Tesla’s diagnostic examination. Just wondering whether anyone else has had a similar experience and, if so, the ultimate outcome. Thanks!
Probably a faulty drive unit.

Thanks - have not received diagnostic test results from Tesla. Not encouraged by the outcome of a similar situation experienced by AnaS.
Thanks - have not received diagnostic test results from Tesla. Not encouraged by the outcome of a similar situation experienced by AnaS.
Glide, you are correct. The Tesla Service Center informed me this morning that my vehicle will need a new rear drive unit. Hope it solves the problem. Thanks, Glide.

• Informative
Reactions: cwerdna
HAHA! Price gives the ILLUSION of "luxury." A $36k Passat is STILL an entry level car, around $19k, with options.

Semantics. I say it's a mid-range, $40k car, with options (they aren't really "luxury" options...) that bump it up into the "luxury" price range.

That's how you build!!! Model Y Performance + FSD +tax= $CAD98K, even without FSD= $CAD 88K- this is a luxury segment!! Even Model Y LR - CAD$78K- this is info from Tesla website. Price is luxury!!! Quality don't. 🤣
I disagree. $50k is pretty much normal for an suv now. I can list and list suvs that are $50k that I would not consider luxury. Look at the price of a Mercedes AMG suv.