Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Y & towing

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My wife & I have each our TMS, but the wife wants a smaller shopping car and we really need a proper trailer hitch. I reserved a Model 3 some years ago, but when the trailer hitch only could take 910 kg, it was of no use to us. The TMX towes 2500 kg, that would be great, but I just can't like that car and anyhow it is way too large.

If the TMY could tow 1800 kg or more, it would be perfect. The sale of a TMY, long range, dual drive would be secured! If not, even as Tesla lovers and TSLA investor we would have to look elsewhere.

What do you guy think.Will the TMY get a sensibly sized trailer hitch?

Considering that a Mercedes GLE with either a 255 HP or 362 HP can tow 7700 lbs. the determining factor is not power but suspension. Since the only thing we know about the Model Y vs the 3 is that the wheel base is the same, I can't see where anyone can speculate with any certainty what the towing capacity will be. It all depends on the the suspension upgrade Tesla delivers. If the only change between the Model 3 and the Y is the shape, I think it would have been released months ago.

Hey Elon, A lot of people are waiting to order a Model Y contingent upon towing capacity. I can't imagine that this design element is not finalized. How about letting the world know!!!

> My wife & I have each our TMS, but . . we really need a proper trailer hitch. [OP]

So have a welding shop build one (or two) for you. (See my posting)

Tested to ~4500 lb and still solid as day one. MS with air suspension is a natural towing beast; could not live without the hitch. Useful for pulling car back out of deep snow that I have foolishly gotten myself stuck in. Just hook the tractor to the hitch and out she comes.
--

Reactions: jebinc
I want to tow a 1600 lb a liner pop up camper and with gear would be about 2000lb or 910 kg so might be ok. Hoping for more since MY will have one piece back end but depends on suspension as you say. Braking should be fine since can use Regen plus brakes. Range will probably be tight since from what I gather, towing most things will drop range by close to half.

> My wife & I have each our TMS, but . . we really need a proper trailer hitch. [OP]

So have a welding shop build one (or two) for you. (See my posting)

Tested to ~4500 lb and still solid as day one. MS with air suspension is a natural towing beast; could not live without the hitch. Useful for pulling car back out of deep snow that I have foolishly gotten myself stuck in. Just hook the tractor to the hitch and out she comes.
--

That would be illegal in Norway. A towing hitch must be certified by the producer and, when mounted, also be described in the cars papers. Getting an un-certified welded/bolted on taking a weight of more than 75 kg would result in a heavy fine and possibly deny use of the car until it was removed. It would be legal to mount a max 75 kg hitch for bicycles and skies.

• Informative
Reactions: Electric Steve
Nice to see Y be used with a hitch. Now we just need to see it towing a small camper!
Next best thing:
857043F2-6E5B-40A0-B4FE-69AC97424255.jpeg

That would be illegal in Norway. A towing hitch must be certified by the producer and, when mounted, also be described in the cars papers.

The difference in legal systems can be seen in two similar but opposite expressions:
- "Det finnes ikke lov..."
and
- "There aughtta be a law..."

På Norsk, "There is no law" , the assumption is that the missing law will explicitly permit something (vs. implicit prohibition). In American English, "There aught'ta be a law", the assumption is that the missing law would prohibit something (vs. implicit permissiveness).