Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Y & towing

That's a fair amount of weight on the hitch. Probably the equivalent to a tongue weight of 500 lbs or more. Usually they say you want roughly 10% of trailer weight on the tongue. Not saying the Y could tow 5000 pounds, but the hitch looks like it could take it.

Sreet bikes could weigh 500+ lbs. (I had a BMW K1000LT that weighed 650). But the tires on that bike are dirt tires; many dirt bikes are around 250 lbs.

• Informative
Reactions: HyperionMark
The difference in legal systems can be seen in two similar but opposite expressions:
- "Det finnes ikke lov..."
and
- "There aughtta be a law..."

På Norsk, "There is no law" , the assumption is that the missing law will explicitly permit something (vs. implicit prohibition). In American English, "There aught'ta be a law", the assumption is that the missing law would prohibit something (vs. implicit permissiveness).

There actually is a Norwegian law (Bilforskriften) covering this:

§ 16.Krav til bil og tilhenger til bil/utstyr i bruk
Bil og tilhenger til bil/samt godkjenningspliktig utstyr i bruk skal opprettholdes i slik utførelse/vedlikeholdes slik at de til en hver tid tilfredsstiller de krav som gjaldt ved første gangs registrering.

Translation:
§ 16. Requirements for cars and trailers for cars / equipment in use Vehicles and trailers for cars / as well as equipment that is subject to approval must be maintained in such design / maintained so that they at all times meet the requirements that applied at the first registration.

So, if not included when first registration of vehicle was done - it's a big forget it according to the law.

• Helpful
Reactions: lmmo
I have an e-mail saying that I can order the Y but I'm passing because of no tow package. The lack of a tow option is a deal breaker for me. I have a small boat that I frequently tow so no towing means no purchase. The Model Y is “supposed” to be a small SUV or CUV not simply a Model 3 hatchback. Most competitors in this vehicle class have a trailers hitch option.
I doubt that I'm the only one in this predicament so others like me need to start hollering so that whomever is in charge of this decision will get a clue. Holler way........

ratsbew

Mar 3, 2012
O'Fallon, IL
I'm holding off ordering a Y until it's confirmed that there will be a factory hitch/tow option. I will be moving house in the next few years and want to do a self-move with a Uhaul trailer (4,400lb max). I don't have 2,500 pounds of stuff (wife and I are minimalists) so we'll be under 4,000 pounds. Looks like Uhaul wants 3,500lb rating minimum on the tow vehicle.
U-Haul Equipment specifications: 6' x 12' Cargo Trailer

If you believe Tesmanian's post, this is confirmation that MY will have towing capability, although more details are still needed. Powered hatch also confirmed.
Exclusive Tesla Model Y Dimensions, Weight and Performance Off-Road
Source is an "anonymous reader" - photos of MY spec pages look authentic.
The “if equipped” part is concerning given there is no selectable towing option in the US. Could they be making it an after-delivery option like Homelink, I wonder?

This was shared in a photo group I'm in.
jEe1Ud1nTyx9ivSEUYhC4lmDggG09i3zDDdKv0RLhIxxnqZaQEBJuXh3ypgrOZ3SWbQp4cvyK37auU6EVwX1WTGdT1v5A5s_TjQCK3JFlwknjnA1MruPZE-0kJ8Dvn_ppMWbaRuBrA=w960-h720-no
I have done this with my Model S, carried my Zero FX Motorcycle, pulled the batteries out and it only weighed ~151 lbs. adding the two power cells adds about another 100 pounds. I just put them in the frunk to balance the load.

• Love
Reactions: MitchMitch
Hopefully it's not a post delivery option like the Model X tow package was. For a long time the Model X tow package was out of stock with no known in stock date. I think it was out of stock for almost a year? I had to resort to buying a used tow package and install it myself since Tesla couldn't say when it would be back in stock after waiting several months.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC