Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Y trailer wiring harness

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
We will be getting our Y in the next week or so and I'm planning on adding a trailer hitch. I have questions about the trailer wiring and haven't found answers so far. I'd appreciate responses from those who have already installed a hitch/wiring or have done research on this subject.
1. Does the Tesla trailer wiring harness directly plug into a connector already on the vehicle? Many trailer-capable SUVs are now pre-wired for a simple connection so I'm hoping it's the same here.
2. If so, can I buy the harness from Tesla and install myself if I choose to use an after-market hitch. The $1200 hitch price from Tesla seems high, even by their standards.
3. Is Trailer Mode already downloaded in the Y software? Do I need to have Tesla enable Trailer Mode?
4. What happens if I just choose not to enable Trailer Mode? I'm assuming I'll get warnings etc about that object at my rear bumper. ( I currently have a hitch on my Chevy Bolt and it will give me warnings when I back up, etc. but it's not a big deal.)

Thanks for the link. This does answer some of my questions. The design of the wiring harness from the link suggests that there is a lot of pre-wiring already on the car, eg, local 12v power. This suggests that, even if Tesla won't sell the harness separately, a third party could develop one if there were enough demand. That still leaves the issue of Tesla controlling download of Trailer Mode in the software.

I tapped into the wires at the trailer plug behind the bumper. The car recognizes when a trailer is plugged in (yellow trailer icon shows up) and turn signals, brake and running lights all work.

No trailer mode in the software though as expected.

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak
I tapped into the wires at the trailer plug behind the bumper. The car recognizes when a trailer is plugged in (yellow trailer icon shows up) and turn signals, brake and running lights all work.

Could you provide a little more detail: location of the plug, was their a connector that matched the plug or did you splice into the wires, etc.

We will be getting our Y in the next week or so and I'm planning on adding a trailer hitch. I have questions about the trailer wiring and haven't found answers so far. I'd appreciate responses from those who have already installed a hitch/wiring or have done research on this subject.
1. Does the Tesla trailer wiring harness directly plug into a connector already on the vehicle? Many trailer-capable SUVs are now pre-wired for a simple connection so I'm hoping it's the same here.
2. If so, can I buy the harness from Tesla and install myself if I choose to use an after-market hitch. The $1200 hitch price from Tesla seems high, even by their standards.
3. Is Trailer Mode already downloaded in the Y software? Do I need to have Tesla enable Trailer Mode?
4. What happens if I just choose not to enable Trailer Mode? I'm assuming I'll get warnings etc about that object at my rear bumper. ( I currently have a hitch on my Chevy Bolt and it will give me warnings when I back up, etc. but it's not a big deal.)
@Haemmer Y won’t you elect Tesla to factory install the tow hitch for $1000? (Early pricing on the Y?)

The tow software option was included with my factory tow hitch. The factory prewired with 7-pin round receptacle. (Unlike aftermarket: splicing taillight for a dangling 4-pin SAE connector secured by double stick tape.)

Hi, I may be misunderstanding, but on my MY with trailer hitch, there is a trailer mode setting in the software.

I think I understand now, you mean tapping into the wiring without having installed the trailer hitch and associate stuff?

Yes I bought my car before the factory hitch became an option. I used the aftermarket eco hitch option and spliced into the wires for my hitch wiring. But since I don’t have the factory hitch option then I also don’t get the tow mode setting.

Reactions: mmanner
@Haemmer Y won’t you elect Tesla to factory install the tow hitch for $1000? (Early pricing on the Y?)

The tow software option was included with my factory tow hitch. The factory prewired with 7-pin round receptacle. (Unlike aftermarket: splicing taillight for a dangling 4-pin SAE connector secured by double stick tape.)

The car is already built and on its way.

Reactions: Rcmpnc
The car is already built and on its way.
I recommend changing the order, and wait for a later VIN to be assigned. The factory shut down and reconfiguring. In my opinion, you will want one built in August. For example, a charge door of protrusion of 0.070" is acceptable currently. The seat back recline isn't even without manually adjusting (easy 5 seconds), but these items will not be perfect until parts are updated (that is my hope).

@Haemmer did you ever resolve this or find a model Y trailer harness? I am also looking for a proper 7-pin plug that goes into the existing outlet sitting at the model Y bumper. I found the model X part number (1046032-00-C)... just need the one for the model Y (or maybe this one is wired the same?)

Cheers

@Haemmer did you ever resolve this or find a model Y trailer harness? I am also looking for a proper 7-pin plug that goes into the existing outlet sitting at the model Y bumper. I found the model X part number (1046032-00-C)... just need the one for the model Y (or maybe this one is wired the same?)

Cheers
I did not resolve this. We have our Y but without a hitch or harness so far. When I asked Tesla service about buying just the harness they said I could not. This is where the lack of independent competing dealerships is a disadvantage. It would not surprise me if the X and Y used the same harness but I don't know that for sure. As you know, the X and Y share many components. If you do get an answer, please let us know.

I did not resolve this. We have our Y but without a hitch or harness so far. When I asked Tesla service about buying just the harness they said I could not. This is where the lack of independent competing dealerships is a disadvantage. It would not surprise me if the X and Y used the same harness but I don't know that for sure. As you know, the X and Y share many components. If you do get an answer, please let us know.

i would try to source the part through a body shop. They should have access to a parts diagram.

@Haemmer in case you're still on the lookout for the Tesla 7-pin connector I found this part number on an eBay listing:
1534249-00-A-003

I contacted Tesla but their service people do not have this available (yet).

I was able to successfully build a cable using the proper molex connector and associated pins. It took a fair bit of fiddling to get it together, if you are interested I can share more info. It enables all 7 pins and Trailer Mode turns on when connected.

Reactions: Daget24 and Carlvs
@Haemmer in case you're still on the lookout for the Tesla 7-pin connector I found this part number on an eBay listing:
1534249-00-A-003

I contacted Tesla but their service people do not have this available (yet).

I was able to successfully build a cable using the proper molex connector and associated pins. It took a fair bit of fiddling to get it together, if you are interested I can share more info. It enables all 7 pins and Trailer Mode turns on when connected.
Thanks for the info. My Y trailer plans are on hold for now. Maybe in the Spring.