Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla Y trailer wiring harness

Haemmer

Apr 1, 2018
Minnesota
We will be getting our Y in the next week or so and I'm planning on adding a trailer hitch. I have questions about the trailer wiring and haven't found answers so far. I'd appreciate responses from those who have already installed a hitch/wiring or have done research on this subject.
1. Does the Tesla trailer wiring harness directly plug into a connector already on the vehicle? Many trailer-capable SUVs are now pre-wired for a simple connection so I'm hoping it's the same here.
2. If so, can I buy the harness from Tesla and install myself if I choose to use an after-market hitch. The $1200 hitch price from Tesla seems high, even by their standards.
3. Is Trailer Mode already downloaded in the Y software? Do I need to have Tesla enable Trailer Mode?
4. What happens if I just choose not to enable Trailer Mode? I'm assuming I'll get warnings etc about that object at my rear bumper. ( I currently have a hitch on my Chevy Bolt and it will give me warnings when I back up, etc. but it's not a big deal.)

Wennfred

Supporting Member
Apr 4, 2019
San Diego
The Tesla seems high yes at 1200.00 this video shows why I would pay the 1200.00, software tow package, wiring and install. That’s worth it to me.

Fred

Reactions: mazers

Haemmer

Apr 1, 2018
Minnesota
Thanks for the link. This does answer some of my questions. The design of the wiring harness from the link suggests that there is a lot of pre-wiring already on the car, eg, local 12v power. This suggests that, even if Tesla won't sell the harness separately, a third party could develop one if there were enough demand. That still leaves the issue of Tesla controlling download of Trailer Mode in the software.

Cmos2000

May 30, 2019
Colorado
I tapped into the wires at the trailer plug behind the bumper. The car recognizes when a trailer is plugged in (yellow trailer icon shows up) and turn signals, brake and running lights all work.

No trailer mode in the software though as expected.

• Informative
Reactions: dhrivnak

Haemmer

Apr 1, 2018
Minnesota
I tapped into the wires at the trailer plug behind the bumper. The car recognizes when a trailer is plugged in (yellow trailer icon shows up) and turn signals, brake and running lights all work.

Could you provide a little more detail: location of the plug, was their a connector that matched the plug or did you splice into the wires, etc.

Jun 22, 2017
Bay Area, California
We will be getting our Y in the next week or so and I'm planning on adding a trailer hitch. I have questions about the trailer wiring and haven't found answers so far. I'd appreciate responses from those who have already installed a hitch/wiring or have done research on this subject.
1. Does the Tesla trailer wiring harness directly plug into a connector already on the vehicle? Many trailer-capable SUVs are now pre-wired for a simple connection so I'm hoping it's the same here.
2. If so, can I buy the harness from Tesla and install myself if I choose to use an after-market hitch. The $1200 hitch price from Tesla seems high, even by their standards.
3. Is Trailer Mode already downloaded in the Y software? Do I need to have Tesla enable Trailer Mode?
4. What happens if I just choose not to enable Trailer Mode? I'm assuming I'll get warnings etc about that object at my rear bumper. ( I currently have a hitch on my Chevy Bolt and it will give me warnings when I back up, etc. but it's not a big deal.)
@Haemmer Y won’t you elect Tesla to factory install the tow hitch for $1000? (Early pricing on the Y?)

The tow software option was included with my factory tow hitch. The factory prewired with 7-pin round receptacle. (Unlike aftermarket: splicing taillight for a dangling 4-pin SAE connector secured by double stick tape.)

mmanner

Feb 28, 2017
Nashville

Hi, I may be misunderstanding, but on my MY with trailer hitch, there is a trailer mode setting in the software.

Cmos2000

May 30, 2019
Colorado
Could you provide a little more detail: location of the plug, was their a connector that matched the plug or did you splice into the wires, etc.

plug is behind the bumper on the left side. It has a white cap on the end.

I spliced into the wires.

There is another thread on this site the lists which wire is which.

Cmos2000

May 30, 2019
Colorado
I think I understand now, you mean tapping into the wiring without having installed the trailer hitch and associate stuff?

Yes I bought my car before the factory hitch became an option. I used the aftermarket eco hitch option and spliced into the wires for my hitch wiring. But since I don’t have the factory hitch option then I also don’t get the tow mode setting.

Reactions: mmanner

Haemmer

Apr 1, 2018
Minnesota
@Haemmer Y won’t you elect Tesla to factory install the tow hitch for $1000? (Early pricing on the Y?)

The tow software option was included with my factory tow hitch. The factory prewired with 7-pin round receptacle. (Unlike aftermarket: splicing taillight for a dangling 4-pin SAE connector secured by double stick tape.)

The car is already built and on its way.

Reactions: Rcmpnc
Jun 22, 2017
Bay Area, California
The car is already built and on its way.
I recommend changing the order, and wait for a later VIN to be assigned. The factory shut down and reconfiguring. In my opinion, you will want one built in August. For example, a charge door of protrusion of 0.070" is acceptable currently. The seat back recline isn't even without manually adjusting (easy 5 seconds), but these items will not be perfect until parts are updated (that is my hope).

gman99

Dec 9, 2020
San Diego
@Haemmer did you ever resolve this or find a model Y trailer harness? I am also looking for a proper 7-pin plug that goes into the existing outlet sitting at the model Y bumper. I found the model X part number (1046032-00-C)... just need the one for the model Y (or maybe this one is wired the same?)

Cheers

Haemmer

Apr 1, 2018
Minnesota
@Haemmer did you ever resolve this or find a model Y trailer harness? I am also looking for a proper 7-pin plug that goes into the existing outlet sitting at the model Y bumper. I found the model X part number (1046032-00-C)... just need the one for the model Y (or maybe this one is wired the same?)

Cheers
I did not resolve this. We have our Y but without a hitch or harness so far. When I asked Tesla service about buying just the harness they said I could not. This is where the lack of independent competing dealerships is a disadvantage. It would not surprise me if the X and Y used the same harness but I don't know that for sure. As you know, the X and Y share many components. If you do get an answer, please let us know.

Carlvs

Jan 30, 2020
Western NC
I did not resolve this. We have our Y but without a hitch or harness so far. When I asked Tesla service about buying just the harness they said I could not. This is where the lack of independent competing dealerships is a disadvantage. It would not surprise me if the X and Y used the same harness but I don't know that for sure. As you know, the X and Y share many components. If you do get an answer, please let us know.

i would try to source the part through a body shop. They should have access to a parts diagram.

gman99

Dec 9, 2020
San Diego
@Haemmer in case you're still on the lookout for the Tesla 7-pin connector I found this part number on an eBay listing:
1534249-00-A-003

I contacted Tesla but their service people do not have this available (yet).

I was able to successfully build a cable using the proper molex connector and associated pins. It took a fair bit of fiddling to get it together, if you are interested I can share more info. It enables all 7 pins and Trailer Mode turns on when connected.

Reactions: Carlvs

Haemmer

Apr 1, 2018
Minnesota
@Haemmer in case you're still on the lookout for the Tesla 7-pin connector I found this part number on an eBay listing:
1534249-00-A-003

I contacted Tesla but their service people do not have this available (yet).

I was able to successfully build a cable using the proper molex connector and associated pins. It took a fair bit of fiddling to get it together, if you are interested I can share more info. It enables all 7 pins and Trailer Mode turns on when connected.
Thanks for the info. My Y trailer plans are on hold for now. Maybe in the Spring.

About Us

Formed in 2006, Tesla Motors Club (TMC) was the first independent online Tesla community. Today it remains the largest and most dynamic community of Tesla enthusiasts. Learn more.

Do you value your experience at TMC? Consider becoming a Supporting Member of Tesla Motors Club. As a thank you for your contribution, you'll get nearly no ads in the Community and Groups sections. Additional perks are available depending on the level of contribution. Please visit the Account Upgrades page for more details.

SUPPORT TMC