Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Tesla, your air conditioning is awesome!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So, it was 96F today. Car sat in the sun in a parking lot for 6+ hours with the sunroof closed. No tint.

2014-07-07 20.50.17.png

I didn't take the second screenshot, but by the time I got to the car ~12 minutes later, it was perfectly cool inside. Cold actually, and I bumped it up to 70F... black leather seats were even cooled.

Zero complaints about the Model S A/C.

Depends on the tint. Reflective tint works, but black or other color non-reflective tint can actually make a car hotter after sitting for a while since the windows themselves are just absorbing heat directly, ensuring constant heat build up inside the car, instead of some of that heat being reflected back by the interior normally. Sure, short term it can keep it cooler (hour or so), but once the windows heat up and start radiating heat into the cabin, it's worse than not having tint at all since the heat is going to just linger, and take more energy from the A/C to actually cool since cooling the solid windows will take more energy than replacing the hotter than outside air in the car with a blower.

So, those of you with non-reflective tint actually shouldn't be allowed to complain here, since you're now forcing the A/C to cool all of the glass as well as the interior air and components.

Reference: Years of experience with multiple tinted and non-tinted vehicles.

Last edited:
One issue that I think I see with Model S (though I haven't made any measurements or had the car long enough to be sure) is that the controls appear to be a pure temperature setting: the car seeks to reach the indicated temperature regardless of conditions.

At least some other cars have a sunlight sensor on the dash and offset the requested temperature to give the same 'feels like' temperature when you are being warmed by the sunlight through the windows. In Model S, if I select a temperature that feels comfortable when the sun is shining, it's too cold in the evening when the sun's gone down.

My A/C is weak. Yes, I've complained and it has be in for service and 12500 annual. They say that my car A/C is normal. I have the back vents open and I have Pano maybe that's the case. Yes, range is off!

I have driven for hours with 67 my setting. Go to my app and it says I'm at 79 inside. By the way it was 74 and sunny outside.

I have had a loaner a 85p great A/C

Charge A/C Tesla says no need.

I've had 4 prius's A/C no problem

I initially thought my A/C was weak. But then, I learned to just crank down the temperature setting. I think the computer just doesn't aggressively get to a near temperature target, making it feel more uncomfortable. So now I just set it to 67 or 68 degrees, far lower than in my Mercedes or Infiniti. Then move it back up to 70-74 for comfort. You know when you've triggered the highest level of A/C when it starts making a real racket, strong enough to feel the vibration in the brake pedal.

This discussion about the A/C effectiveness has happened before. As others have said Tesla has skewed the temperature scale lower for some unknown reason. In most cars with automatic climate control one tends to keep the temperature set between 72-75 for a comfortable environment. In the Model S one needs to keep it at 67-69 for the same comfortable feeling. Also, there is far less airflow at full fan speed compared to other cars which means it will take the cabin longer to cool down when it is very hot because it is exchanging less hot air for cold. And finally, as others have noted, Tesla chose not to include secondary thermal and light sensors in the automatic climate control system to adjust the temperature for lighting conditions or uneven temperature distribution (ie. sun baking one side of the car).

I'm sure by Model S 2.0 they will have fixed these shortcomings. Until then, one needs to do a bit more manual adjustment to the automatic climate control to keep the cabin at a comfortable temperature.

My A/C is weak. Yes, I've complained and it has be in for service and 12500 annual. They say that my car A/C is normal. I have the back vents open and I have Pano maybe that's the case. Yes, range is off!

I have driven for hours with 67 my setting. Go to my app and it says I'm at 79 inside. By the way it was 74 and sunny outside.

I have had a loaner a 85p great A/C

Charge A/C Tesla says no need.

I've had 4 prius's A/C no problem

I got a S85 Loaner over 4th of July, while mine was in getting some minor things addressed and TANK MODE installed. All I can say is, DAMN, that Pano Roof + not having any tint like mine, shut the AC off for about 2 minutes and the sweat was already beading on my brow. Though, when I turned it back on, Damn cold I tell ya, and I ALWAY run my AC in Range Mode. If Range was off, I'd be frozen.

AC in both the S and my Leaf works much better than my ICE's. The latter are marginal when engine is at idle. Leaf's AC power draw is usually less than 250W, so range is barely affected. Using the heat in either EV is an entirely different matter.

Also, it appears from the controls that you can only select either dash vents or floor vents.

You can select split flow by touching each of the icons. Both icons can be active at the same time, indicating flow to both dash and footwell. I also assumed there should be a third option, but that third option is simply the first two being activated simultaneously.

- - - Updated - - -

With range mode off, I can pre-cool my car from 95 degrees to 68 degrees in about 15 minutes. I live in Arizona. When it's 105 outside, I feel cold with the AC set to 72, so usually keep it at 74. I have Photosync tint on all windows, and 3M Crystalline on the windshield. I also have the pano roof with factory tint.

Model S owners with window tinting: What, the A/C is great! No problems ever.
Model S owners without window tinting: The A/C is subpar. Has trouble keeping up in 100 degree days.

No problem here on hot days, and no tint (I do have the rear screen). Heck, I seldom see the fan go higher than two "blades".

So, it was 96F today. Car sat in the sun in a parking lot for 6+ hours with the sunroof closed. No tint.

View attachment 53234

I didn't take the second screenshot, but by the time I got to the car ~12 minutes later, it was perfectly cool inside. Cold actually, and I bumped it up to 70F... black leather seats were even cooled.

Zero complaints about the Model S A/C.
Hmm, must be something wrong with mine. Showed 129 F. It's 20 minutes later, at 109 F. With ambient temps in the low 90s.