Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TESLAA - Android Auto for Tesla App

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Works fine on my Poco F3 (Xiaomi sub-brand) running Android 12. A few issues with getting car to see hotspot, but that may be down to the phone settings shutting that off / not activating it properly when detecting car via BT.
Google assistant works well, WhatsApp only shows new messages received following connection to car, ABRP/ZapMap need to be logged in on phone (with premium subscription) to give all features on car screen, Waze needs to be logged in on phone.

Works great on my Huawei too. As others have mentioned, it only shows recent messages but google assistant is great in my initial testing. Everything works as it should. The only thing I couldn't figure out was how to exit an app. I ended up with both maps and Waze forced open on my phone unable to close either from the phone or the browser. I had to close the connection in order to close it.

Today I noticed the car struggled to connect to the hotspot until I connected to it manually, but once connected is great.

Maybe I'm missing something re closing the app so it's not forced open.

I tried it yesterday and it worked great! I've used AA on a BMW and I felt right at home. I prefer Google Maps (short trips) / Waze (highway driving) over the Tesla navigation UI and routing so I'll probably keep using it if it doesn't bug-out too much. Well worth the one time $5 investment!

Reactions: candida
Works great on my Huawei too. As others have mentioned, it only shows recent messages but google assistant is great in my initial testing. Everything works as it should. The only thing I couldn't figure out was how to exit an app. I ended up with both maps and Waze forced open on my phone unable to close either from the phone or the browser. I had to close the connection in order to close it.

Today I noticed the car struggled to connect to the hotspot until I connected to it manually, but once connected is great.

Maybe I'm missing something re closing the app so it's not forced open.
I was testing today - I'm impressed. Not as responsive to native implementation of course, yet far better than nothing.

To my memory it is normal Maps/Waze will stay running if you open them and AA is still running. When AA disconnects they should all stop on the phone. So far I found the direct way to manage this neatly is via the app itself. I've selected the car Bluetooth name in TeslAA menu which has made it consistent.

Start-up - Enable phone hotspot. Enable/connect to phone via BT. App should detect this and start everything on the phone. Open car browser.
Shutdown - Option A: Walk away, when BT lost then Maps/Waze/AA 'SHOULD' just shutdown. Option B: Manually hit BT disconnect on the car or switch to another saved device - phone can disable the hotspot after X mins idle of whatever you instruct it to do.

I was testing today - I'm impressed. Not as responsive to native implementation of course, yet far better than nothing.

To my memory it is normal Maps/Waze will stay running if you open them and AA is still running. When AA disconnects they should all stop on the phone. So far I found the direct way to manage this neatly is via the app itself. I've selected the car Bluetooth name in TeslAA menu which has made it consistent.

Start-up - Enable phone hotspot. Enable/connect to phone via BT. App should detect this and start everything on the phone. Open car browser.
Shutdown - Option A: Walk away, when BT lost then Maps/Waze/AA 'SHOULD' just shutdown. Option B: Manually hit BT disconnect on the car or switch to another saved device - phone can disable the hotspot after X mins idle of whatever you instruct it to do.
So no other way to close either Maps or Waze if AA is running?

I've set up a 'task' on my phone to turn on the hotspot whenever it connects to the car's Bluetooth. I've also selected the car's Bluetooth name is TeslAA. Annoyingly I find I have to then manually activate the car's wifi to connect to it, as by default it sticks to LTE. This can sometimes be while I've already set off which can be a faf and defeats the point of AA. I was trying to make it a seamless integration but have not quite mastered it yet.

I've set up a 'task' on my phone to turn on the hotspot whenever it connects to the car's Bluetooth. I've also selected the car's Bluetooth name is TeslAA. Annoyingly I find I have to then manually activate the car's wifi to connect to it, as by default it sticks to LTE. This can sometimes be while I've already set off which can be a faf and defeats the point of AA. I was trying to make it a seamless integration but have not quite mastered it yet.
Would have to test to be sure - I believe they are running in the background via the ’overlay‘ permission. Don’t recall seeing when closing on the phone if it stops them as AA triggered/keeps them active.
Yet that is an AA behaviour and not Tesla, our other car with official AA is the same.

• Helpful
Reactions: s88ats

I was able to make it pretty seamless. I use Tasker to automatically turn off the wifi and turn on the hotspot when it connects to the Tesla's bluetooth. I had to use the AutoInput tasker plugin for the hotspot since the native "tether on" functionality didn't work with my phone. The car's wifi does take about 30 seconds before it automatically switches from LTE to Wifi once it sees the hotspot available. And when I leave the car, the Hotspot turns off automatically after some minutes of being disconnected. I'll do more testing but so far so good!

I was able to make it pretty seamless. I use Tasker to automatically turn off the wifi and turn on the hotspot when it connects to the Tesla's bluetooth. I had to use the AutoInput tasker plugin for the hotspot since the native "tether on" functionality didn't work with my phone. The car's wifi does take about 30 seconds before it automatically switches from LTE to Wifi once it sees the hotspot available. And when I leave the car, the Hotspot turns off automatically after some minutes of being disconnected. I'll do more testing but so far so good!
Yeah my hotspot comes on with the tasker when it connects to my cars bluetooth too but the car doesn't connect to it as its still on lte and WiFi is switched off. Maybe I'm a little impatient and need to just wait until it picks it up.

just downloaded it, so far it is working fine. I like the fact that I can control Pandora from the car screen instead of looking at the phone. Can't wait to see how the map routing works. Now only if tesla would give us more app options.

Update on the app, it does not work when the car is in drive. Hopefully, they will work it out since Tesla seems unable or unwilling to allow us to have android or car play.
If you download the latest update 1.4 from the playstore this should solve any recent problems. Tesla's latest car update changed the browser completely meaning the browser would not stream video anymore. Which broke how the app previously worked. It now streams AA as photos instead of video. Which is why it's more laggy than before. The developer is working on a solution as Tesla put a huge dent in how his app worked.

Reactions: Gy2020
If you download the latest update 1.4 from the playstore this should solve any recent problems. Tesla's latest car update changed the browser completely meaning the browser would not stream video anymore. Which broke how the app previously worked. It now streams AA as photos instead of video. Which is why it's more laggy than before. The developer is working on a solution as Tesla put a huge dent in how his app worked.
Hey Spark- that worked, thanks for the info.