Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

TESLAA - Android Auto for Tesla App

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
came across this app a little while back.
Absolutely excellent for me. Remarkably stable in v1.4, some crashes but Tesla browser does that anyway.
I can't recommend Teslaa highly enough.

I dont use it all the time, but as Tesla dont show the "green google road clear" lines any more (bloody annoying- yet another useful feature removed) it is all too easy to get caught in a road closed scenario - where at least Google would show no green lines as there was no traffic making you immediately suspicious something was up. If for your not insignificant monthly payment Tesla included a traffic incident reporting service, perhaps I would have a different view.

So I use it selectively when I am unfamiliar areas or need to have additional confidence in the roads ahead - Waze shows camera and incidents, or Google maps because they're just better than Tesla ones.

Also is useful if the kids have to message me on Whatsapp

Downsides:
the phone gets very hot on vpn I assume as there is a lot of data transferred (Pixel 6)
if you try to press the mic button to talk a message - I get the car try to dial a mobile nr ending in xxx174 - not sure what that is about and havent had time to look into it, but frantically ahd to try to stop the car dialling whatever this number is.

If I'm honest I still prefer Teslawaze for the best maps but unfortunately that never is quite stable enough to be truly usable.

More of these apps the better.

Well done to the dev.

Last edited:
The major problem I encountered is that I cannot connect Tesla wifi to my android hotspot. The error message is "
Could not connect to network. Unable to obtain IP Address. Please check DHCP server settings."

I was intended to use TeslAA to provide off-line navigation when there was no LTE coverage, but I encountered the above issue.

This may be a dumb question, but how does one get audio via the web browser? I just bought the TeslAA app and got Android Auto launched but I can't get any audio playing back. But then I realized that even if I navigate to other websites in the browser (like reddit, soundcloud), I don't hear any audio when playing any videos.

Not sure how many of this is supposed to work if Tesla doesn't enable audio playback via the browser?

This may be a dumb question, but how does one get audio via the web browser? I just bought the TeslAA app and got Android Auto launched but I can't get any audio playing back. But then I realized that even if I navigate to other websites in the browser (like reddit, soundcloud), I don't hear any audio when playing any videos.

Not sure how many of this is supposed to work if Tesla doesn't enable audio playback via the browser?
It gets the audio from your phone. The car's audio mode must be Bluetooth.

Is there a way to share the connection between an iPhone and android (I have an S22 ultra). My iPhone is my primary so I'm trying share the internet connection to my Android but I'm unable to broadcast a mobile hotspot from my Android...it says I need a sim. Any help would be appreciated.

Is there a way to share the connection between an iPhone and android (I have an S22 ultra). My iPhone is my primary so I'm trying share the internet connection to my Android but I'm unable to broadcast a mobile hotspot from my Android...it says I need a sim. Any help would be appreciated.
Presumably you have a sim... maybe it's locked down to not act as a hotspot - some providers have been known to do that (although I've not personally come across it).

Most phones can only set up a hotspot using the mobile connection. You can't (usually) connect the phone to Wi-Fi and then enable the hotspot and expect it to share that wi-fi connection to other devices - if that is what you are asking.