Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Teslab workaround for 12v charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a fridge that pulls 30 watts in my MYLR. It’s pretty awesome, always have cool beverages or frozen storage.

I understand camp mode, neutral, and sentry mode are all ways to keep the 12v cigarette lighters hot. Sentry mode seems like the most viable solution because it’s a passive setting that’ll keep your 12v pumping — but I feel like it just uses far too much power. 1 mile an hour is like 280 or 300 watts an hour.

I’m curious if apps like TesLab or Nikola, where these apps do frequent calls to the car — if these apps would keep the car from sleeping and therefore keep the 12v sockets hot.

Anyone with those apps have any experience with cigarette lighter accessories staying on without sentry mode?

Aside from using ~250W when awake, i.e. when Sentry mode is active, the Tesla Model Y vehicle battery management needs to periodically enter Sleep mode and measure the open cell voltage of each cell within the battery pack. This can take several hours. During this time the Tesla vehicle needs to disconnect the high voltage battery from the rest of the Tesla vehicle's systems.

Reactions: limmerguy
Upvote 0
From what i understand, constantly pinging the car and not letting it “sleep” still drains the HV battery pretty much at the same rate as sentry mode. Sentry Mode doesn't add significant power draw on top of the coolant pumps, fans, and HV contactors.

that being said, if you roughly know the duty cycle that keeps your fridge acceptably cool (or, just guess), you could ping the car, say, every 30 minutes and allow the 12v power to energize the fridge for a few minutes at a time.

Upvote 0
Other than for camping, tailgating etc. I don't believe having an electric cooler running all of the time in the Tesla Model Y would be a good idea. If you place the cooler in the sub trunk compartment there won't be adequate air flow. Drawing ~250W just to use a 30W cooler is not efficient. If there is condensation from the cooler's evaporator there is no condensate drain as with the Tesla HVAC system.

If you are storing bottles of water, etc. then there should be no issue running the 12V cooler during the day and then having it shut off each evening.

Upvote 0
I use Tezlab and don't believe it randomly pings the car to collect data. When I open the app, it indicates that Val is sleeping and to tap again to wake up. I only get data when charging is complete (and the car would still be awake). There may be settings that allow for data to be gathered while the car is asleep (necessitating waking it up) but haven't enabled those.

Upvote 0